What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

12k mile 02 SOM Formula M6

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 12k mile 02 SOM Formula M6

Just curious what some would value my dad's car at...no, its not for sale. Its 1 of under 50 02 Formulas in SOM, 6 speed, Hurst shifter and chrome wheels...with yes, 12k miles on it. No accidents, scratches, mods or anything. Its basically a brand new car. Its got a cool story behind it, as I actually ordered the car brand new for dealer inventory for the Pontiac dealer I worked for. I had ordered it for myself, and when it came in I chickened out on buying it and sold it to my dad instead.

I think its worth $15k all day long, probably more...curious to see what others think.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

$20k, and yes keep it. If I were in such a market, I wouldn't hesitate to ****** it up quick at that price. If it were a WS6 Formula or a Formula Firehawk, I would greatly increase that bid.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

If it's truly a 'brand new one-owner car' as you state, then $20k all day long. If kept outside or if something is wrong with the title, then of course that's too high. I would pay that if I needed another sweet F-body in that color.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the last time we discussed a 2002 WS6 M6 SOM (20K mile car on Ebay) it sold for just over $20,000. While this one is not a WS6 (it's 8-10X rarer and lighter) it's probably worth every bit of what that WS6 brought.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input...I don't kid when I say its literally brand new. I love the car for what it is...light weight, loud color, 6 speed.

I felt like it was worth more than $15k, but it always seems like unless an LS1 Firebird is a WS6 or a Hawk, people turn their nose up more. Even the original GSCs are in great shape, in dark storage on the OEM wheels. The car sits on C6 ZR1 repos and 275/40 rubber. We have the invoice, window sticker, hell...I even have pictures of it BEFORE I took the plastic off of it the day it was delivered!

Its a helluva car that'll never hit the open market in my lifetime...I'll buy it from him before he ever sells it to someone else. I appreciate the input...I'm going to have him up his collector car insurance value to $20k. I think its at 17 right now.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason E
...but it always seems like unless an LS1 Firebird is a WS6 or a Hawk, people turn their nose up more.
I've noticed the same. For the record, I too prefer the Formula body style, but lots of 'bird shoppers don't care nearly as much for the base V6 styling - and that seems to hold their value down as compared to a Trans Am (or especially a WS6.)

I think you're close with that $15k number, I don't think $20k+ is realistic for a base Formula with those specs, unless you hit the lotto with that "right" buyer at the right moment. Something in the $15-17k range is probably what you'd see since Formulas are generally comparable to Z28s in terms of price, and Z28s of similar color and condition don't seem to be moving at prices higher than ~$15k.

Here is another low mileage '02 M6 Formula that's been listed for quite some time:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...low-miles.html

A bit more miles than yours and it doesn't look quite as nice as you've described yours to be, plus the color won't command an additional premium like your SOM, but overall if this one (and another very similar one I saw earlier in the season with a buyer confirmed price of $11k) can't bring more than $12k then I wouldn't expect to see yours go much beyond the $15-17k point as an actual private party sale price IMO.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

I appreciate your thoughts. I don't disagree...its currently insured for 17 because I told my dad that's realistically what its worth, if you could even find one.

As for the Maple Red example you posted, I almost inquired about that car. I love Maple Red and I prefer a Formula also (in 3 years when my V is paid off, a Formula Hawk will be my next and final purchase)...but once I found my WS6 and negotiated it down to $10,500, there was no way I could say no to it.

Quick Reply: 12k mile 02 SOM Formula M6