What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Something different to watch. Pricing guess??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 06:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Default Something different to watch. Pricing guess??

This is quite interesting to watch. It has 50k miles which makes it a collectible 'driver'. Not something you see every day. I'll predict a price north of $15,000 even with the miles. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Pontia...da7Kvi&vxp=mtr
Old 06-12-2018, 02:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Something like this doesn't really fit any typical mold; the things that make it unique and special could be very valuable to some, so final price will have a lot to do with who happens to be in the market at the time. Regardless, this is definitely one I haven't seen before - very interesting, thanks for sharing!
Old 06-12-2018, 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Since I first posted, the price has jumped from $7,700 to $9,300.
This is a one owner car and I can empathize with the owner. He probably didn't want to put much mileage on it but couldn't just look at it in his garage. He's taken it to shows probably and on road trips too. I felt really crappy when I hit 10k miles on mine way back when. After that, it was 'just enjoy it', and I have lost track of all the car shows, vacations, and drives here in the mountains. Just hit 60k miles. He probably went through the same phase but unlike me who has no intention of selling, he has had enough.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Any 2001/2002 WS6 A4 vert with 45K-55K miles has been a $13K-14K car for a couple of years. This being a documented parade car should easily add another 10% or so. So I agree with the $15K+ value. I follow these cars from time to time. The Camaro's and Firebirds with race track heritage are sort of cool, if only for the graphics. The Brickyard and Indy 500 lapped cars are some of the others. Clean and well running verts, especially if immaculate for the mileage still bring top dollar.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by NC01TA
This is a one owner car and I can empathize with the owner. He probably didn't want to put much mileage on it but couldn't just look at it in his garage.
This is exactly how I ended up having two nearly matching F-bodies at the same time. This was great for a period, until I took things too far and started using the 'driver' as a true daily driver - winter commuting and all. After several years under those conditions the car just didn't stay nice enough to meet my standards, especially with all the maintenance costs that were on the horizon. I should have just kept using it as a 3-season, nice-day-only daily driver; if I had, I'm sure I'd still have it today. On the bright side, I still have the garage queen version safely tucked away for limited use, but I do miss having one to drive on a more regular basis during the nice months. One day, I hope to find the "right" candidate to fill this open position - I would love for it to be another 4th gen, but I've lately become more open to some other options.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

A little over 1 day left and only at $10,100. Looks like I may be wrong unless it really picks up.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

$10K would sure be cheap. Something tells me the seller buys it back at that level.

It is immaculate and has only 50260 original miles and not a scratch, dent or road chip.
That simply cannot be true...unless the car was driven on the roads at under 20 mph without any other vehicles ever being around to kick back debris, sand, etc. At 50K miles the car should have dozens of cosmetic flaws. They don't list a single one.

We've put this vehicle through our 125 CPO point inspection, which it passed with flying colors.
125 items checked and not one single item comes up as less than 100%? Again...just not possible.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

^ Yep. "Mint", "immaculate", "perfect"; these terms mean almost nothing in a seller's description as they are often (and incorrectly) used in a very subjective manner. When you really press someone about how their ~50k mile unrestored car can possibly be "perfect" or even nearly perfect, the answer is invariably some version of, "well, it's nicer than most of the other ones I see". Not sure how "nicer than others" ever turned into the new meaning of mint, but it's all too common.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Firebrian, I certainly agree. I am just used to seeing this description when we all know it can't be possible. I am so careful to avoid semis and pickups with flying rocks but it just can not be avoided. I have just 10k miles more than the auction car and I hate to say this but I probably have dozens of rock chips if I look real real close. From 10' away you see nothing and the car looks 'mint'. Also, these multi-point inspections are just silly anyway. Just for one tire alone, you get 6 points from what I understand. Good tread and 5 tight lug nuts equal 6 points. Times 4 you get 24 points just for the tires/rims and they probably don't look for curb rash, or fail to mention it..Each headlight gets a point, then a high beam equals a point for each. Then the tail lights, brake lights, side marker lights. Adds up in a hurry for basically nothing.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

$12,990 was the winning bid. I was close but a bit too optimistic, again.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's still a great price for a track car. People looking for one is probably fairly limited. They aren't exactly a "discrete" looking cruiser as you're going down the road.

Just goes to show these are still depreciating. I'd consider $12.9K to be very low retail or mid-wholesale level for one of these. You know if this shows up on one of the internet dealer/flipper sites it's going to be listed at $16,500-$19,500....hoping to get $15K-$16.5K. I was looking for one a nice WS6 A4 vert back in 2011. Had this been around then I'd have gladly paid $14.5K. Today I'd buy it for $13,000 as well. Good deal for someone assuming it doesn't have some "hidden" issues not reflected in the listing.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

^^^ I feel the same.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

If this was a factory produced pace car it might have gone for more but that was a car that most likely came from a local dealer that only had some decals added. So it's a parade car decorated for an event and doesn't mean it truly a rare car. Hell, I could go buy a brand new car and throw some decals on it and use it was a pace car for a local race and call it 1 of 1 and not add any value to it at all lol. If you are talking about an Indy pace car that actually paced the race then it adds value....even then they make several for each race so it's not like they are that rare.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Someone picks a dozen to a few dozen cars to run laps before a major race....Brickyard 400, Indy 500, etc. These are often piloted/physically signed by the actual drivers in the race who get to run some laps in these documented collectibles. They are certainly not just cars the local dealer ran around a track. They are usually worth a nice premium as their production is quite limited. Rather than thousands of WS6's produced, these might number in the dozens or at most a couple hundred. If you buy a brand new car and toss some decals on it for a local race you picked out.....you probably just devalued your car unless those decals come off without damaging the paint. It's all about important races and proper documentation.

Last edited by Firebrian; 06-21-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Someone picks a dozen to a few dozen cars to run laps before a major race....Brickyard 400, Indy 500, etc. These are often piloted by the actual drivers in the race who get to run some laps in these documented collectibles. They are certainly not just cars the local dealer ran around a track. They are usually worth a nice premium as there production is quite limited. Rather than thousands of WS6's produced, these might number in the dozens or at most a couple hundred. If you buy a brand new car and toss some decals on it for a local race you picked out.....you probably just devalued your car unless those decals come off without damaging the paint. It's all about important races and proper documentation.
Nailed it! Especially the documentation.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Someone picks a dozen to a few dozen cars to run laps before a major race....Brickyard 400, Indy 500, etc. These are often piloted/physically signed by the actual drivers in the race who get to run some laps in these documented collectibles. They are certainly not just cars the local dealer ran around a track. They are usually worth a nice premium as their production is quite limited. Rather than thousands of WS6's produced, these might number in the dozens or at most a couple hundred. If you buy a brand new car and toss some decals on it for a local race you picked out.....you probably just devalued your car unless those decals come off without damaging the paint. It's all about important races and proper documentation.
A parade car and pace car are not the same thing and don't carry the value.
A buddy of mine collects actual pace cars. Most are have been modified from the factory. The others are just replicas(Parade cars). The one in the auction is a parade car and the price reflects that.
Here are some details I found.

Starting in the mid-1950s, the auto manufacturer who provided the official pace car started selling replica pace cars to the general public. In many cases, the official on-track pace car was modified from its street-legal counterpart. Strobe lights, rolls bars, multi-point harnesses, television camera mounts, two-way communication (for officials), and removing the air conditioning, are among some of the more routine modifications made for the actual pace car. Some official pace cars, however, have undergone extensive performance modifications, including suspension, transmission, or even engine modifications from their production counterpart (the 1990 Chevrolet Beretta is an example of this). Race-duty pace cars may also have the factory fuel tank replaced with a fuel cell, and usually have an on-board fire extinguisher installed. The special edition production replicas available to the public usually come with full paint and "Indy 500" decals, and may be part of a performance package upgrade.
1991 Dodge Stealth "Official Car"
1983 Buick Riviera Festival Car
In addition, the track typically is provided with dozens of lower-end ("base model") pace car production replicas (or different makes by the same manufacturer) for use as festival cars throughout the month.

Last edited by LLLosingit; 06-22-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There's no confusion here concerning parade cars vs. pace cars. The parade cars in nice shape still bring a good premium in most cases....most tend to be low mileage cars as collectors ended up with them. Frankly, I wouldn't want a fairly extensively modified pace car as that's far from what the stock factory vehicle was meant to be. Not a fan of holes or welds on the body for strobes, roll bars, harnesses, etc....more places to start leaks and rust. If someone wants something modified yet still truly collectible, why not just by a GMMG 4th gen for about the same money? I find the Brickyard 400 and other parade cars quite interesting...and they remain essentially factory stock.

Last edited by Firebrian; 06-30-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Something different to watch. Pricing guess??