What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2002 Camaro SS CME with 1,700 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020 | 01:34 PM
Teching In

Default 2002 Camaro SS CME with 1,700 miles

Hey Everyone,

I have 2002 Camaro SS, with the center mount exhaust, with just under 1,800 miles on it... Mint condition, still has original tires on it.... if I were to keep the car and drive it, I would put new tires on it, but leaving that up to the next owner. What are your thoughts on Value?

The following users liked this post:
GS110 (12-17-2021)
Old 01-02-2020 | 02:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

I would definitely leave the original tires if you're planning on selling - the mileage on this example is still low enough that it could certainly appeal to a collector who doesn't intend to drive it more than on and off a trailer, in which case having the original tires would be a value bonus. In any event, it's unlikely that you'll recover the total cost (including tax, mounting & balancing) of tire replacement in your sale price.

As for value, is the car an auto or manual? I see that there are some other Y2Y options beyond just the CME (such as chrome 10-spokes, SS grille) - is there any other content that's not visible? Having the CME means that it also would have come with the dual/dual catback thus the "335hp Package" at least, or the "345hp Package" if it also has the Blackwing lid.

What about documentation...do you have all the original paperwork for the car? Are you the original owner?
NC01TA (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020 | 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

I need to know everything that RPM WS6 mentioned as well. It all affects value. Definitely leave the tires alone for the new owner so they can decide what brand they want to put on, or they just might want to leave it 'as is' as a collector. It sure is a beauty!
Old 01-06-2020 | 12:29 PM
Teching In

trans is Auto
the SLP options include , front grill with SS Center Logo, 10 spoke chromes wheels, Center Mount Exhaust, premium floor mats, custom rear deck mat, Custom Fitted Cover, two Camaro SS Key Fobs and Dash Plaque.

I have all the documentation that came with the car, I purchased this from the original owner, have a copy of the title, but I want a car I can mod and have some fun putting some miles on it... I just feel like this car needs to stay stock and untouched.

the prices seam all over the place, seen a few with higher miles the dealers are asking in the 30's and seen some others barely break 20 grand. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
thanks!
Old 01-06-2020 | 02:36 PM
Launching!
5 Year Member

I believe you have it listed at around $28. That is a really good number. Patience is your friend. I just sold an 01 with 860 miles. You'll get a lot of views on this site but not many potential buyers. List it on Hemmings, Auto trader, E-bay.. All will help if you really want to sell.
NC01TA (01-07-2020)
Old 01-06-2020 | 05:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nickey028
the prices seam all over the place, seen a few with higher miles the dealers are asking in the 30's and seen some others barely break 20 grand. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
thanks!
$30k would be dreaming, even at this (1,700) mileage; with even higher miles those dealers are just hoping for a sucker.

About two years ago, I saw an '02 NBM SS M6 car with under 5k miles listed at a midwest dealer for $18.9k. It was the nicest and most original one I'd seen since these cars were new, and it had nearly every SLP option (including the highly desirable Blackwing lid/345hp Package). It didn't take too long to sell, but it wasn't gone overnight either. That car was a more desirable M6 transmission and had more SLP options, but also about 3k more miles on it. Value might be a little higher now, but not drastically so. For a private seller, anything above $20k as an actual sale price would be bonus territory and doing extremely well for this example IMO.
Spamfritter (01-30-2020)
Old 01-06-2020 | 08:31 PM
Teching In

thanks for your input man, i actually saw your car on ebay and that thing was amazing! I am going to test the waters a bit and see how it goes. Thanks again!!
Dren (04-21-2020)
Old 01-07-2020 | 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

I believe a price in the low 20's is realistic for that certain buyer. If I was in the market, that price would not scare me but I'd be most comfortable at $20k or so knowing the need for transporting, tires, title, tax and all the expenses associated with buying another car. As Spring approaches in a few months, the timing is good, although this desirable car should sell at any time of year. I'm another big believer in Hemmings for these ultra low mileage cars. GLWS!!
Old 04-21-2020 | 02:00 PM
Teching In

just sold, heading to California
Old 04-21-2020 | 02:38 PM
Launching!
5 Year Member

I hope you did good on it. I know you'll miss it cause I miss mine every day. I'll have another though I'm sure. This time I'll probably try the WS6 world..
Old 04-22-2020 | 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

Nice going!! I hope you got what you wanted. Any sale during these current times deserves a pat on the back.
Old 04-24-2020 | 07:47 AM
Teching In

yeah I did well on this car, much better than what people were telling me the car was worth. I was surprised to sell with all the Covid stuff going on, but it was just the right timing I guess for this person. I think the values on these cars are underrated right now, people still have love for the 4th gen.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2020 | 04:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

yeah I did well on this car, much better than what people were telling me the car was worth. I was surprised to sell with all the Covid stuff going on, but it was just the right timing I guess for this person. I think the values on these cars are underrated right now, people still have love for the 4th gen.

Thanks!
It usually takes a bit of time for broad economic hardships such as this to impact the collector car market. This same thing happened back in 2008; I bought my current '71 in the earliest days of the Great Recession, collector car prices hadn't really been hit yet as the folks who typically shop for these cars have a bit more disposable cash and don't feel the effects quite as soon. I was working in the Pharma industry at the time and wasn't at all worried about my job, so I still felt comfortable buying the car even as the crisis began. It took about 3-6 months after the initial collapse to really see the value drop in many of these cars as demand fell off. All of 2009 was a pretty rough year to sell, but a great buyer's market. If I had waited until that year to buy, I could have bought the same level/quality example for several thousand less (though it really doesn't matter now since I still own that same car all these years later).

I think the same will be true now. Some folks who already had cash set aside for a toy are still in good shape and will keep shopping but this pool of individuals won't be growing at the normal (previous) rate, so once they are out of the market there will be a decline in demand - and that will be compounded by the urgency of folks who fall into a situation where they need to sell, thus putting further downward pressure on prices.

Buyers should be advised to use great caution regarding their financial position right now. If something in their situation should change and they are forced to sell, I wouldn't expect to get top dollar for the vast majority of "toys" in the next 3-12 months at least.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro SS CME with 1,700 miles