What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Purchase a 1993 Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase a 1993 Z28?

I have an opportunity to buy a 135K mile automatic 1993 Z28 for $1000 it is white with tan cloth interior. The car has been sitting for a long time (20 years on concrete driveway). It was a guys highschool car and was raced at the dragstrip some and then was parked. It has been started off and on and driven a little but not much. It could use some tires and brakes done. The tires are from 2000 and dry rotted pretty bad and rotors are rusted and pitted from rust from what I can tell. My plans for the car if I buy is to just get the car road worthy and possibly do a little bracket racing with the car. The Camaro comes with the receipts for the car and a pair of like new salad shooters. Would like to find another pair to match.
Rust
I looked at the rear for rust in the rear sub frame and it looked good there was no rust at all really. The car is very solid rust wise as I checked both floor boards and they were solid. The exhaust on the car is a flowmaster catback (3") and it had rust but only from the muffler output. I think I could get away with only replacing the tail pipe on the car.
Weather-strip
The car could use the weather seal on the windshield and the rear hatch. It does have water going into the trunk area, I think it is from the rear hatch having openings from where the weather striping has shrunk. It seems to be recent since there is not a moldy smell. I pushed on the trunk floor to see if it was rusting and didn't feel like it, I also looked underneath.
Body
The car I think has had the quarter panel repainted on the driver side as it has cracked the paint from all the years of sitting and there is overspray on the door striker. paint is burned on the top and both bumpers have cracking paint. The sail panel does not have glue coming through. My major concern is the inside of the passenger side door jam the sealant is cracking I highlighted the area I am talking about on the Firebird. I don't know if that is a sign of something or just something that has happened from sitting 20 plus years outside. There is moss on the outside of the car.
Interior
The dash is not cracked surprisingly to me. The inside is in almost new shape other than a rip in the drivers side bolster.

Do you guys think this is a good Z28 to buy or not. I think I could find something nicer in the 5k range, I like this car thought because it is optioned similar to what I would have chosen. Just wanted your guys opinion if this seems like a nightmare of a Camaro or not.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 173 Likes on 155 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I think any running 4th gen for a thousand dollars is a good deal if it runs. Go for it.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The 93 is a 1 year only model from a pcm perspective. I would stay away as there's not much support.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Its hard to tune those Speed density 93 F-body cars. I would buy it if you planned on going 24x and modding or keeping it stocking like only doing exhaust and cold air intake.
24x is a must if you plan on modding it. Factor that into the price.
I know. I have a 93Z28.

The cracks in the bumper paint and weather stripping are all like that on these cars. That 93 is 27yrs old and somethings just need to be replaced.
93's sail panel do not have glue problems. It's the later years that have it. Mine has never bubbled and I've had it since 2005.

I would buy in for a fun car, but modding it can become a pain.
look up all the differences in the 93 vs 94-97 LT1's.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

If the car is as rust free as you think it is, $1,000 is a good price for that. I'd go for it despite the issues with the 93 model year. But your ultimate goals for the car and what your willing to spend on it to get it where you want it to be need to be factored in.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

OP, I understand you said that you may bracket race it, to what extent? At $1000, as long as there's no frame damage or rust, personally I'd grab it. The factory ECU is an oddball, as is the 4L60, fuel pressure regulator, and intake manifold on a 93, however that shouldn't stop you depending on what modifications you plan on making. As previously pointed out, a 24x may be your best route for tuning/reliability, however in my opinion, I would say that would be required for all 92-97 LT1/4 cars in today's age, and not exclusively for 92-93 models.

Quick Reply: Purchase a 1993 Z28?