What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Is KBB Right? 02 Camaro SS 55k

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is KBB Right? 02 Camaro SS 55k

Ok.

I am the original owner of a White 2002 Camaro SS with SLP options. The car has 55k miles. Kelly blue book puts it at $9k and $11k. Is that about right?

I picked Good for the over all condition because it's really hard to judge what one person would value. but there is and has never been anything wrong with the car

Tell me if you know of anyone has gotten more or less or if you have paid more or less

Camaro SS
M6
White
Ebony Leather
Power seat
T-tops
A/C, power windows, cd player

SLP Options:
17" Chrome "SS" Rims
CME
Blackwing air intake (345 hp package)
Portfolio (still have everything, include window stickers)
"SS" Floor Mats
"SS" front grille (yes, no place for a plate)

If the indicators are to be believed she was one of the 25% of F-body's to get the LS6 block. As well as I believe only 210 White SS's with M6 were produced in 02 (does that even matter?)

Car has never been Modified. Has brand new tires on all four corners. Car is just as it was the day I drove her off the show room floor.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:00 AM
11 Second Club

Seems about right - here's one with 25,000 miles for $15,000 that has all the SLP options as well. Another one can be found here that is an 01 with 48k miles for $11,000. Lastly - here is a 2002 with 18k miles for $15,000 - Now none of these are exact comparisons, but should give you a decent idea of the market for them (and that's what they're "Asking for", not what they're "Selling for"). Ultimately it depends on how quick you need to sell, how competitive you want to be, and the saturation of the "local" market since many won't travel long distance to buy a used car. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Head Hunter; 04-08-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 502 Likes on 362 Posts

Being a 'one-owner' non-abused example is a highlight and I would ask a little higher than KBB in this instance if the car is as nice as you claim. Maybe $12,000+. If no bites, then lower the price accordingly. GLWS!!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

only problem with asking above kbb is someone will not get a loan amount for 12000 if the car blue books for 10000. just a thought. the potential buyer will have to come up with the difference in cash which may be a problem.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Banned

dont go by kbb because its a bunch of retards.. they are always either under or over price,, they have no idea what the going rate is, they might know a ballpark price on a 95 cavalier but not on sports or speciality cars,, for example, go look up a 87 grand national and see what the value they tell you,, just go online and see what they are going for and price accordingly,, id say 12,500 all day for your car... i just looked up a 98 ss with 60k miles, its saying its worth 8/9k.. who would give that kind of money for a 98,, like i said dont believe what they say..

Last edited by mario89; 04-09-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by msydow
only problem with asking above kbb is someone will not get a loan amount for 12000 if the car blue books for 10000. just a thought. the potential buyer will have to come up with the difference in cash which may be a problem.
most banks and insurance companies go with nada anyway,, kbb is old school.. if car is totalled no one uses kbb for value replacement..
Old 04-09-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd give 8 and 9 grand for a 98 still the same car. As the 02s
Old 04-09-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience, the KBB price is on the high side. Years ago, the figure was probably closer to being accurate. The prices can vary as much as 20% less then what you see on KBB. It sounds painful and I know how bad it hurts.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:57 AM
On The Tree

Where are you located, I am in the market for what you have.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ivan_key
I'd give 8 and 9 grand for a 98 still the same car. As the 02s
still the same car but mechanically its alot different......98's suck to most people.....their are def alot of disadvantages buying a 98 rather than a 99-02
Old 04-20-2011, 07:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Good gawd, there is a lot of misinformation posted here .
OP, take heed.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks Everyone for the replies!

It's currently located in North Dakota in Storage. I purchased the car from a dealer in San Antonio Texas.

I moved to North Dakota in 04 and ever since then it was garaged every winter and only driven about 3000 miles a summer since.

Car has 3 "problems" the center console is lifting, but that is only noticable to me. the sunviser mirrior on the driver side is cracked. and there is a small cut in the head liner right by the passenger side t-top. it was caused by the t-top sun cover edge.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:59 AM
On The Tree

So whats is the price? Pictures to evanjsalazar@yahoo.com
Old 05-02-2011, 05:33 AM
Staging Lane

please dont sell that car for that low! its worth more than that to many people out there. Unless you wanna sell it to me for 9k .
Old 05-07-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cali_bear2003
In my experience, the KBB price is on the high side. Years ago, the figure was probably closer to being accurate. The prices can vary as much as 20% less then what you see on KBB. It sounds painful and I know how bad it hurts.
I have rarely seen this to be true for Camaros and I've sold both my truck (2001 S10 Xtreme and 98 Z28) for more than KBB. Like others said, NADA is a better site to find the value of our cars.

To answer the question though, I would pay more than that for your car. It doesn't take into question the number of owners or anything. I feel like my car is worth around that or a little less and it sounds like your car is in better condition and more desirable. I would price yours around at least $15k unless you need to see it real quick, which I'm guessing you don't.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Well.... here I am. 9 years later and still have the car. Ironically, I rediscovered this website again as I was googling the value of my car since I'm at the point of toying with selling.

Sadly, the car now has 56,000 miles , and is located in the D.C. area (new job and moved several years ago). But still sitting in my garage. Smh.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmgagnon4
Well.... here I am. 9 years later and still have the car. Ironically, I rediscovered this website again as I was googling the value of my car since I'm at the point of toying with selling.

Sadly, the car now has 56,000 miles , and is located in the D.C. area (new job and moved several years ago). But still sitting in my garage. Smh.
Not much has changed. Worth $9000-$13,000 depending on the buyer.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Ok.

I am the original owner of a White 2002 Camaro SS with SLP options. The car has 55k miles. Kelly blue book puts it at $9k and $11k. Is that about right?

I picked Good for the over all condition because it's really hard to judge what one person would value. but there is and has never been anything wrong with the car

Tell me if you know of anyone has gotten more or less or if you have paid more or less

Camaro SS
M6
White
Ebony Leather
Power seat
T-tops
A/C, power windows, cd player

SLP Options:
17" Chrome "SS" Rims
CME
Blackwing air intake (345 hp package)
Portfolio (still have everything, include window stickers)
"SS" Floor Mats
"SS" front grille (yes, no place for a plate)

If the indicators are to be believed she was one of the 25% of F-body's to get the LS6 block. As well as I believe only 210 White SS's with M6 were produced in 02 (does that even matter?)

Car has never been Modified. Has brand new tires on all four corners. Car is just as it was the day I drove her off the show room floor.
The rarity of these cars doesn't really impact their value. Color has little impact on the price. There are some exceptions. Sunset Orange Metallic for the color or being a 1LE car can add value to them but that's about it and the increase isn't massive. Mileage, condition and how close to stock the car is are what matters.

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Being a 'one-owner' non-abused example is a highlight and I would ask a little higher than KBB in this instance if the car is as nice as you claim. Maybe $12,000+. If no bites, then lower the price accordingly. GLWS!!
It is a highlight. Being stock I think increases its value, but that only puts it on the high side of what the general value of these cars would be. Mileage and condition are what matter most.

Originally Posted by msydow
I know this was an old post, but banks rarely loan money for cars more than 5 or 6 years old. There are some specialty banks that loan money for classic cars and things outside the norm, but I don't know what interest rates look like for that.

Originally Posted by cali_bear2003
The problem is that enthusiast cars don't always if ever fit the equations KBB might use to figure out the value of a car.

That's low enough mileage that if the condition is good, you could get similar money to what was stated earlier in the thread.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

KBB and NADA are both low on ALL low mileage, regular production 1998-2002 Firebird/Camaro LS1s. Not aware of any exceptions. One you get to 125K-150K miles those price guides start becoming pretty accurate....lol. You might consider them "right" for a dealer buying the car outright from a customer. They might be happy to buy at $9K and mark it up to $14K.

Last I looked my 1999 SS M6 with 19K miles was listed for $8-9K. Bogus. The mileage premiums for cars under 70K or so are all way off.....and it gets worse as you go lower and lower in mileage. That's why I keep saying the best bang for the buck are the 1-2 owner, well-maintained ones with 20K-65K miles. Do note that neither KBB or NADA (as of 2-3 yrs ago) provided ANY premium for an M6. And we all know those cars bring a $1K to $1500 premium on lower mile/well kept cars. Those sites also don't add for a premium SLP package as yours has (grille, CME, black wing) which is probably another $500-$800. So figure those price guides are $2000-$3000 "light" on your car.

Check out the premium price difference in your car at 56K miles vs. say 126K miles....almost no difference. In reality those extra 70K miles probably devalue a car by $4000 min. Just like the miles from 10K to 56K is probably another $4000. that will prove to you how far off those guides are.

There are premiums for colors, mileage, and options, regardless of people's personal feelings about it. White is not an easy car to find. Add to that very well optioned, 1 owner, M6 car....that's about as good as it gets short of being SOM or Hugger Orange. You still have a very desirable car. 5 yrs ago I would run across 2002 M6's with 10K-15K miles in the $15K-$17K range. They are worth less today imo. But yours is still solidly in the $10K-$13K range. I'd probably value it at around $12K.....possibly $13K if really sweet for the miles. Pricing is very regional dependent too. If you are in an out of the way area where these cars don't show up, that raises the price for those that want one. Their alternative is to have one shipped in (+$800-$1500), or drive 300-800 miles to bring one back. Some regions just don't have any nice quality M6's that have not been thrashed.

Similar 42K mile car to OP's only not as heavily loaded. Asking $20,800. What I find more interesting is that the KBB chart on this car is $6900-$9100. Good luck finding a clean car in that price range.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Last edited by Firebrian; 04-19-2020 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

^^^ It is amazing that the price guides have not changed their feelings about mileage. It's been that way for years on end. How can you value a 100,000+ miles car basically the same as a 50,000 miles car?? Same make, year, model, same geographic area, same everything. I sure would pay more for those 50k less miles, especially a one or two owner well documented example. Those extra 50k miles result in a lot of use and wear on the car.

Quick Reply: Is KBB Right? 02 Camaro SS 55k