What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

What is value of my 2002 TA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is value of my 2002 TA?

Not sure if right forum. If not, please redirect. I have a 2002 WS6 TA with 70k miles. It needs paint- badly. Mice have gotten into the interior. Needs clutch. Engine and tranny runs strong. Hasn't started in a while.
Need guidance on what price I should sell this for (and where?). 1 accident that got the quarter panel replaced. Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:57 PM

edit: quarter panel and bumper cover replaced
Old 04-22-2024, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

What part of the country are you in?? Rust belt??

maybe $4000 being a WS6
Old 04-22-2024, 07:08 PM

I'm in Connecticut.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:09 PM

Wouldn't the engine and transmission be worth more than 4k?
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 523 Likes on 376 Posts

I think you are talking 'parts' car. Mice?? Forget it with the damage they cause to the wires and seats, never mind the stench.. Paint on top of that? No one will bother restoring the car but yes, an LS1 running strong engine and tranny are the way to go if it is possible to do that. It's not an easy task unless you have the ability and equipment. I do not know if $4,000 is possible but others should chime in.
The following 2 users liked this post by NC01TA:
2002ramws6 (04-23-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hard to put a number on a car that needs paint and body work, as each body shop is different, and even a bad job now-a-days isnt cheap. It needs mechanical love. You do have value being its a real WS6 car.. the hood and other things around the car that support the WS6 package, is where the value is. Now to somebody buying the car, it is a full blown project car based on your information.. Mice damage is very bad as these cars have lots of wiring that they love to eat due to the material. Its worth what someone is willing to pay, and or get into. you may even be better off fixing it yourself, then selling it and getting your top dollar. The accident attached to the cars history doesnt help either.. If i were in your shoes, id keep it. If you really want to sell it, $5,000 seems like a very fair starting point. The LS1 engine with lower miles is worth 1500-2k or so as long as it runs as well as it should. The T-56 Transmission is worth $2-2500. Just remember the buyer has the leverage since its a project. The ball is in your court sir. Thats my .2 Cents... - Jason
The following 2 users liked this post by ZYABYE:
2002ramws6 (04-23-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 01:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,246 Posts

I agree with the "parts car" comments. Parting it out is the only way you're going to get decent money out of this. If the OEM WS6 hood is undamaged, it will be nearly as valuable as some of the major drivetain parts. They you have a good LS1 + T56 to sell. Even the 3.42 rear will have some value if it's still good (aftermarket options are several thousand dollars, so for someone just needing a rear that works, and has a 3.42 + LSD to boot, these are worth more than the ~$200 that they used to sell for 20 years ago).

With a trashed interior, trashed paint, the need for some mechanical repairs, some accident history...I agree it's nothing more than a project car for someone. There is zero "collector" value in the car itself but, again, some of those WS6 parts will be worth quite a bit individually. You'd have to give the car away pretty cheap to get someone interested in the whole vehicle. Folks who are looking to buy a project car are usually looking for something cheap to start with. And you can't add up the value of the parts to assume a "whole vehicle" value because those parts will be worth more when they are already removed from the car (such as engine/trans), otherwise the buyer has the added hassle of doing so plus storing (and eventually disposing of the remains) the car while it's being parted (hence the reason why the whole car might be worth less than the sum of its drivetrain + hood when already removed).

A "no reserve" auction might be the way to go here. Either that, or ask a price you can live with for the parts value minus the labor that you won't have to do if you'd pulled it apart yourself. If you want to sell it quick, you'll have to pick an attractively low number.
The following 2 users liked this post by RPM WS6:
2002ramws6 (04-23-2024), NC01TA (04-25-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

We need pictures inside and out to give you a real estimate. The description is scaring everyone.

Even with paint fade and a rough interior it’s a low mile (sub 100k) TA WS6; it’s worth more than $4000.

I’d start at $8000 and let someone beat me up and take $7000.

shoot, I might even start at $10000 and take $8000 if no rust.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
We need pictures inside and out to give you a real estimate. The description is scaring everyone.

Even with paint fade and a rough interior it’s a low mile (sub 100k) TA WS6; it’s worth more than $4000.

I’d start at $8000 and let someone beat me up and take $7000.

shoot, I might even start at $10000 and take $8000 if no rust.
You wouldn't happen to be looking for a 2002 WS6 to buy, would you?
Old 04-23-2024, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I agree with the "parts car" comments. Parting it out is the only way you're going to get decent money out of this. If the OEM WS6 hood is undamaged, it will be nearly as valuable as some of the major drivetain parts. They you have a good LS1 + T56 to sell. Even the 3.42 rear will have some value if it's still good (aftermarket options are several thousand dollars, so for someone just needing a rear that works, and has a 3.42 + LSD to boot, these are worth more than the ~$200 that they used to sell for 20 years ago).

With a trashed interior, trashed paint, the need for some mechanical repairs, some accident history...I agree it's nothing more than a project car for someone. There is zero "collector" value in the car itself but, again, some of those WS6 parts will be worth quite a bit individually. You'd have to give the car away pretty cheap to get someone interested in the whole vehicle. Folks who are looking to buy a project car are usually looking for something cheap to start with. And you can't add up the value of the parts to assume a "whole vehicle" value because those parts will be worth more when they are already removed from the car (such as engine/trans), otherwise the buyer has the added hassle of doing so plus storing (and eventually disposing of the remains) the car while it's being parted (hence the reason why the whole car might be worth less than the sum of its drivetrain + hood when already removed).

A "no reserve" auction might be the way to go here. Either that, or ask a price you can live with for the parts value minus the labor that you won't have to do if you'd pulled it apart yourself. If you want to sell it quick, you'll have to pick an attractively low number.
Hood still original. I wouldn't say interior is trashed, but it definitely needs a new driver's seat. Engine, tranny, rear end in good shape.

"You'd have to give the car away pretty cheap"- what do you consider pretty cheap?

Is there any real good place to sell that's TA specific? My local paper isn't going to do the trick.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

WOW went from what's it worth to a "Parts Car"

do you have the garage and ability to Part out a Car???
Old 04-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Pictures will help the group determine a starting point for value. Facebook marketplace will be the best spot to list this thing to be totally honest. You reach a much larger audience and it has surpassed CL and even Tech. Not saying don't post FS on Tech but FB marketplace will reach a broad spectrum of buyers. Me personally, not looking at anything mice have contaminated. I'm terrible with wiring and don't want the headache should there be an issue lol. I believe 8k is steep for something I can't drive away with.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,246 Posts

I agree that we need some comprehensive pics to offer anything better than "part it out or sell it cheap". The verbal description sounds like it could be a nightmare depending on the rodent damage, and whether or not the paint is at all salvageable.

Quick Reply: What is value of my 2002 TA?