Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

HELP:ZR1 on Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said, it doesn't matter how you drive your car, there should never, ever be a component close enough to the wheel that it could cause it to stop or blow out a tire. Its common sense. Why not do the extra clearancing. Imagine, (and I say amagine cause it should never happen but could), running down a highway at a good clip and hitting some rough pavement, which upsets the car. Now my suspension is pretty rough and will toss the car around and the suspension could unload enough for these components to rub and now you have a flat tire or a tire that locks up. Now your fucked and probably dead
Old 01-12-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tspence45
LMAO at there being a video for installing wheel spacers. Seems pretty damn self explanatory IMO.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
Usually only lowered cars need adjustable panhard bars. Because once you lower your car, you use the adjustable panhard bar to "recenter it".

You DO NOT need to cut the bump stop at all. Jack the car up from the rear differential and the bump stops will not be an issue.

Why?

1 Inch spacers would only PUSH the wheels out further meaning... your fender would be more likely hit the fender then before. The spacer is only used to stop the INSIDE of the wheel from rubbing.

Damn it, I was scrolling down and answering every wront post, but you beat me to it
Trans Ams have more clearance.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
Trans Ams have more clearance.
I've also owned 4 Z28s. Never had any issues.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

Usually only lowered cars need adjustable panhard bars. Because once you lower your car, you use the adjustable panhard bar to "recenter it".

You DO NOT need to cut the bump stop at all. Jack the car up from the rear differential and the bump stops will not be an issue.

Why?

1 Inch spacers would only PUSH the wheels out further meaning... your fender would be more likely hit the fender then before. The spacer is only used to stop the INSIDE of the wheel from rubbing.

Damn it, I was scrolling down and answering every wront post, but you beat me to it
Most rears are not even centered on most cars (even at factory ride height)due to large production tolerances. So now instead of beating in the wheelwell evenly, you are beating in one side more than the other.

And its not the bumpstop you cut, it is the mount on the chassis
Old 01-12-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Most rears are not even centered on most cars (even at factory ride height)due to large production tolerances. So now instead of beating in the wheelwell evenly, you are beating in one side more than the other.

And its not the bumpstop you cut, it is the mount on the chassis
Do some searches. I have never heard of anyone needing to install an adjustable panhard bar on a stock height car.

And yes. I know which part people cut. I've done it.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Do some searches. I have never heard of anyone needing to install an adjustable panhard bar on a stock height car.

And yes. I know which part people cut. I've done it.
No need to.

You are just suggesting the bare minimum which is not the safest route.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

sorry havent read the hole thread.

Question what is the porpose of this in the pic ?

thanks
Old 01-12-2009, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
sorry havent read the hole thread.

Question what is the porpose of this in the pic ?

thanks
I don't understand the question? Purpose of what?
Old 01-12-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry.
the bump stop.
and what will happen if one side was broken and the other side was good ?
thanks
Old 01-12-2009, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
Sorry.
the bump stop.
and what will happen if one side was broken and the other side was good ?
thanks
The bump stop is what stops the axle from further travel. Chances are that it will be fine for a while, but drive easy. I would replace it A.S.A.P.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

No need to.

You are just suggesting the bare minimum which is not the safest route.
Because test fitting is what needs to be done before you do the bfh mod, roll the fenders, buy a PHB etc etc.

You are telling him to buy an adjustable panhard bar "NOW". When he may not need one at all.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

Because test fitting is what needs to be done before you do the bfh mod, roll the fenders, buy a PHB etc etc.

You are telling him to buy an adjustable panhard bar "NOW". When he may not need one at all.
You do realize that the rear moves up and down on an arc?
Old 01-12-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Junkie

You do realize that the rear moves up and down on an arc?
I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Like I said, it doesn't matter how you drive your car, there should never, ever be a component close enough to the wheel that it could cause it to stop or blow out a tire. Its common sense. Why not do the extra clearancing. Imagine, (and I say amagine cause it should never happen but could), running down a highway at a good clip and hitting some rough pavement, which upsets the car. Now my suspension is pretty rough and will toss the car around and the suspension could unload enough for these components to rub and now you have a flat tire or a tire that locks up. Now your fucked and probably dead
I can't see this happening unless someone is driving carelessly. My car has never lifted up ~2" in the rear from hitting a bump and we have some crappy roads around here.

OP, if you want to cut your car up for no real reason other than paranoia then go for it. And FWIW you might not even need a PHB, just depends on how much your lowered. I never had one on my first car, had 315 bfg's and was lowered about 1" only took a little more BFHing.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
As the rear moves up and down, it follows the panhard which does not allow straight up and down movement. It actually pulls the rear in and out.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stoverz28
I can't see this happening unless someone is driving carelessly. My car has never lifted up ~2" in the rear from hitting a bump and we have some crappy roads around here.

OP, if you want to cut your car up for no real reason other than paranoia then go for it. And FWIW you might not even need a PHB, just depends on how much your lowered. I never had one on my first car, had 315 bfg's and was lowered about 1" only took a little more BFHing.
You obviously have never taken a turn fast enough to have the car lean over enough. And its not paranoia, its doing things the right way the first time. These cars were not produced with these sized wheel and tires or else GM would have made them w/ more room.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

Also, if you need to do the BFH mod(which is when you hammer the areas in the wheel well that the tire is hitting). Make sure that your back seats are up. I have heard of issues with the backseats when left down while doing the BFH.
hey man would you mind explaining this a little further for me?? i have some 17x11's on the way..i dont have my backseat in my car anymore..should i put it back in or something before i start hammering away?? im assuming that if you beat on it without the seats up, then they wont fold up properly anymore??
Old 01-12-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

As the rear moves up and down, it follows the panhard which does not allow straight up and down movement. It actually pulls the rear in and out.
I see what you're saying, but dont understand the point you're trying to make.

NON lowered cars should not need an adj phb to fit 17x11 wheels. Its has simple as that.

You were just assuming that he was going to need it and told him to buy one "NOW". Which he doesnt IMO. If he's lowered, then yes I'd agree, he will likely need one. But if he's not, wasting $100 on a used one is dumb IMO.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Travis99LS1
hey man would you mind explaining this a little further for me?? i have some 17x11's on the way..i dont have my backseat in my car anymore..should i put it back in or something before i start hammering away?? im assuming that if you beat on it without the seats up, then they wont fold up properly anymore??
Ya, I've never personally came across this issue. But I've heard about it. To be honest, I'm not sure if you need to put the seats back in while doing the BFH.