Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Learn from my mistake

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Learn from my mistake

I can't believe you guys are bitching about a $380 set of aluminum 17in wheels. That were already advertised as Blems................ As long as they are true and balance whats the problem. Especially chrome, I am not exactly understanding what you were expecting.
Take a look at the last photo. It is a B1 worst case scenario. That picture came from SLP as an example of the worst quality wheel. Are you saying that it doesnt matter that they lie about what they are selling? Its so cheap I should expect to get ripped off? Would you sell those wheels to someone without telling them that they look like they sat on the bottom of the ocean? Do you want to buy them off me? I didn't think so. Do you understand now? The main reason on why I posted this is so you guys dont make the same mistake. How many of you guys that support SLP want to buy these off me? I didn't think so.
Look, I have a spare pair of rims, used, I paid $250 for 2 of them. They were not perfect, had small scratches, some small blemishes here and there. I use them for drag wheels. You are complaining about 4 wheels shipped to your door for $380, at least $50 is shipping cost alone. I cannot see any justifcation for your disatisfaction for a set of belmished wheels, I don't care what rating they were, they were still advertised as blemished. If you wanted a semi show quality wheel and thought you were going to get lucky with some light problems, then your not very smart. Those wheels are not that bad, and of all the dumbest things, you wanted chrome. Why the hell would you pay for chrome if they were just a spare pair? It's obviuose to me that you wanted them more for appearance than a spare pair of wheels. I do not support SLP all the way, but they do sell some good products, and they offer spare parts very cheap. The bottom line is they are used spare parts. Example I got the take off shocks and struts, I am not up here bitching up a storm because I paid $67 shipped for these things and one of them didn't come with the spring perch. Common sense prevails, I will use the old one, the struts alone would have cost me in the $250 area.

I just expected ones that were like their description and picture. It was stupid. Thats why im letting ya all know. No one offered to buy them off me did they? Why didnt they use these wheels as their worst case scenario? I did searches on both sites for anything on these wheels. Nothing. Now when somebody does a search they have some pictures and opinions. Something that I didn't have.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:18 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

If you wanted some winter wheels, why didn't you just buy their 16" take off wheels for $50 each. Those are in good condition, and would have been cheaper. I think you were just asking for disappointment when you ordered blemished chrome wheels, especially at 75% off retail. Structurally, the wheel is probably sound. Thats about all you can expect for that price. The finish, regardless of a rating, on a blemished chrome wheel? I'd have expected the worst.

Personally, I'd have the wheels de-chromed or sand blasted and just paint them silver or powdercoat them silver. If these are "winter wheels", why would you even consider having them rechromed?

Tony
Old 10-16-2003, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

If you wanted some winter wheels, why didn't you just buy their 16" take off wheels for $50 each. Those are in good condition, and would have been cheaper. I think you were just asking for disappointment when you ordered blemished chrome wheels, especially at 75% off retail. Structurally, the wheel is probably sound. Thats about all you can expect for that price. The finish, regardless of a rating, on a blemished chrome wheel? I'd have expected the worst.

Personally, I'd have the wheels de-chromed or sand blasted and just paint them silver or powdercoat them silver. If these are "winter wheels", why would you even consider having them rechromed?

Tony
I just expected what they pictured. What if i put these wheels in the for sale section and said "slight visual defects and minor flaking" then take some pictures hiding the crust and sell them for $380 shipped. The person buying them would think they are getting a good deal on some used wheels. Would you feel the same about it then?
Old 10-16-2003, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Tony
Can you recommend a place that can de-chrome them? I've heard people talk about it but I have never seen it done. I assume that I couldn't take them anywhere and blast them. You would have to know what you are doing.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those do look like crap but you get what you pay for.. although SLP should have mentioned how bad they really were.. they look more like used wheels than blems..

Oh, and if your getting winter beater wheels why get high maintanace chrome? Get them powder painted to keep the work load down

Any place that can chrome and de-chrome..
Old 10-18-2003, 09:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

If you wanted some winter wheels, why didn't you just buy their 16" take off wheels for $50 each. Those are in good condition, and would have been cheaper.
I called SLP last month about these (I already have two of them from a couple years back), they said they are no longer offering these. I was told that all the left over takeoff wheels were paired up with BFG DRs to be sold together. I asked if they would un-pair two of them and sell me just the wheels, they told me no. So unless they have gone back to offering these in the last 3 weeks or so, this is no longer an option unless you want the DRs with them.

I agree SLP should have sold these as a B2. Seems to me like you certainly got screwed on the condition rating, plain and simple. But they should still work fine as a winter wheel. Either way I'd be pissed too that SLP mis-rated their actual condition by so much.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I was going to say powder coat those black and they will look bad ***
Old 10-19-2003, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at the last photo. It is a B1 worst case scenario. That picture came from SLP as an example of the worst quality wheel. Are you saying that it doesnt matter that they lie about what they are selling? Its so cheap I should expect to get ripped off? Would you sell those wheels to someone without telling them that they look like they sat on the bottom of the ocean? Do you want to buy them off me? I didn't think so. Do you understand now? The main reason on why I posted this is so you guys dont make the same mistake. How many of you guys that support SLP want to buy these off me? I didn't think so.
Man, I wish you had ordered them and paid the B2 price. I called to get 2 sets of wheels from SLP the other day and they are out of stock and will never get more. If they were the $200 set, I'd have been interested. I am looking for beater wheels and I could care less if they ever got chromed, painted or anything else, just as long as they are round. If you ever saw my wheels, you'd understand. I use brake pads that "destroy" wheel finishes and I don't even try to clean them anymore (that is why I'm looking for "cheap" wheels). I wanted a set of the B2 chrome for race rubber and a set of the painted to get powdercoated black. So, if you decide that you'd be interested in selling them off for somewhere around $260 shipped (at a future date), drop me a line. trackbirdengineering@columbus.rr.com. (I'm not trying to discount the fact that those are worse than the example, I just didn't want to spend much for track wheels, that's why I wish you had paid the B2 price so you'd get most of your money back.)

I guess somebody has now offered to buy them from you.....

Let me know if anything changes....

Old 10-20-2003, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Man, I wish you had ordered them and paid the B2 price. I called to get 2 sets of wheels from SLP the other day and they are out of stock and will never get more. If they were the $200 set, I'd have been interested. I am looking for beater wheels and I could care less if they ever got chromed, painted or anything else, just as long as they are round. If you ever saw my wheels, you'd understand. I use brake pads that "destroy" wheel finishes and I don't even try to clean them anymore (that is why I'm looking for "cheap" wheels). I wanted a set of the B2 chrome for race rubber and a set of the painted to get powdercoated black. So, if you decide that you'd be interested in selling them off for somewhere around $260 shipped (at a future date), drop me a line. trackbirdengineering@columbus.rr.com. (I'm not trying to discount the fact that those are worse than the example, I just didn't want to spend much for track wheels, that's why I wish you had paid the B2 price so you'd get most of your money back.)

I guess somebody has now offered to buy them from you.....

Let me know if anything changes....

You got mail
Old 10-20-2003, 02:51 PM
Launching!

I would just take a buffer to them and try to scrape off as much of the coating as possible.

When you said "learn from my mistake" I thought SLP had sent you wheels that had physical defects like cracks or warpage. Structurally those wheels look fine... I wouldn't say it's a loss just because of cosmetic damage. Knowing how winters are in Chicago as well as West Lafayette, after plow trucks come through your wheels will be so covered in crap you won't notice it anyway.

Seems like a good winter wheel to me. But I agree with you that I'd shoot myself before driving around on those in nice weather.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

uhh... juss look der-tay to mee.. couple cans of krylon autta fix em up real good..
Old 08-14-2004, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would buy 2 of them from you if you are interested. jk98ss@yahoo.com
Old 08-14-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by IRACE2
I just expected ones that were like their description and picture. It was stupid. Thats why im letting ya all know. No one offered to buy them off me did they? Why didnt they use these wheels as their worst case scenario? I did searches on both sites for anything on these wheels. Nothing. Now when somebody does a search they have some pictures and opinions. Something that I didn't have.
Exactly. You pay money for what is ADVERTISED. You get something different and you have a right to be unhappy. Sure buying blem stuff is a risk, but the post is appreciated. If it saves someone else the same headache then its served its purpose.
FWIW, SLP's return policy bit me once and for that reason I will never buy directly from them again.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hate SLP everyone that gets their 1st f-body loves them and buys everything SLP, all they are doing is paying too much for a part they could get from somewhere else those wheels are pretty bad but for $380 and winter wheels they can do the job. After the 1st winter they would probably look like that anyway.

I do think that they should have been sold as B2 though
Old 08-16-2004, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This post is nearly 1 year old folks . . . .