Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Ball in tire, what does it mean...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had that happen a few times, yes get a new tire, cause if you hit a bump in the road it could blow out and lead to worse things.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a new tire. You'll probably also start to notice vibration at speed. It will get worse as the temps get warmer.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Yeaa, i called up the local discount tire and got them to order a new Goodyear Eagle F1 for me. I have to go show him my tire so he can order the correct thread style and it'll take like 3 to 5 business days for them to get it in.

What other brand tires are good?? Im sure they have some other brands with the same size tire in stock. I dont really wanna have the car on the spare for that long.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

Get a new tire, that happened to my 3000GT. It will get bigger and bigger and more likely to blow...
Old 03-04-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Medic/Z28
Needs to be replaced for sure. You'll have a blow out. Don't want to flip and die.
ABSOLUTELY......Change it RIGHT AWAY...
Old 03-05-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Badguy7
What other brand tires are good?? Im sure they have some other brands with the same size tire in stock. I dont really wanna have the car on the spare for that long.
I dont think you'd wanna run a different brand of tire on opposite sides of the car...meaning you have to wait on one or buy at least two.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

I have seen this happen on perfectly good rubber. Sometimes it's caused by a manufacturing defect. Sumitomos had this problem a while back. And from my experience broken belts don't usually pronounce themselves on the sidewalls. Either way it's best to get a new tire, but don't be afraid to drive on it-A friend on twenty inch rims drove for six months with a ball in his tire. And don't let people scare you about roll-overs. I would be worried if it was a front tire, a rear tire is a little less scary. (I cracked a rim/blew a tire at 120 )
Old 03-06-2009, 03:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Yeaa, i called up the local discount tire and got them to order a new Goodyear Eagle F1 for me. I have to go show him my tire so he can order the correct thread style and it'll take like 3 to 5 business days for them to get it in.

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
I have seen this happen on perfectly good rubber. Sometimes it's caused by a manufacturing defect. Sumitomos had this problem a while back. And from my experience broken belts don't usually pronounce themselves on the sidewalls. Either way it's best to get a new tire, but don't be afraid to drive on it-A friend on twenty inch rims drove for six months with a ball in his tire. And don't let people scare you about roll-overs. I would be worried if it was a front tire, a rear tire is a little less scary. (I cracked a rim/blew a tire at 120 )

like itsnotstock said, the tire isnt gonna spontaniously fail, but its something you need to fix ASAP. but its not like its gonna blow spectacularly if you drive
it 15 feet. i would "grandma" drive until i fixed it, but thats about it. i say that because i have a kuhmo escta of the same size with the same thing, and its been like that for at least since before october. which leads to your question. kuhmo's are good and cheap, i personally usually keep nitto DRs on the back. the stock TA-KDWs are a good tire too. even in rain i could drive stupid on them. i liked yokohamas as well. haven't used them in a while though. suppossedly, michelins are good. a lot of high-end OEMs come with them. and the F1s you have now are cool too.

big thing is that 275s will probably have to be ordered to get the one you want. its easiest, if you need a tire immediately, to ask them want they have in 275. trust me, it wont be much, unless someone else ordered them and then didnt buy them.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Well i got 2 new rear tires, there the Kumho Escta's. Only tires they had in stock in 275's. Turned out alot cheaper then going after 2 new F1's.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
Oh it didnt scare me at all, my z28 in my sig was wrecked when my rear tire blew going 70mph's. Only reason it ended up totalled was because i ended smashin into an 18wheeler which i was passing at the time the blowout happen. I think i would still have that z28 if it hadnt happen at that moment.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, those kuhmos are a good tire, IMO. they lasted for two years through track time and lots of hard driving. they are at LEAST 2.5 yrs old now and only the one has a bubble, so you got a good tire. dont let anybody make you think you didnt.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

It is a separation. It will continue to get worse then it will fail. May last a mile, may last two years. Junk it and get a new one.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

you broke a steel band if you hit a pothole ,curb etc...you could blow the tire out...and thats not a pretty site...f-ed up fender wheel just replace the tire aspa
Old 03-07-2009, 02:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

It'll blow.

Been there, done that at 100MPH. Luckily it was the back one.

This was on a set of tires that had less than 500 miles on them with no curb contact. It was a manufacturer defect.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Geez, guys...he's already replaced the tires... LOL!

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
yeah, those kuhmos are a good tire, IMO. they lasted for two years through track time and lots of hard driving. they are at LEAST 2.5 yrs old now and only the one has a bubble, so you got a good tire. dont let anybody make you think you didnt.
IMO, they are ok for the street as long as you dont want to stick in the corners. They wear well though and I run them, but I wouldnt use them again at the track.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:29 AM
TECH Addict

even with the suspension mods you got? though, if i could afford two sets, i'd like to try a set of these:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1=yes&place=32
Old 03-08-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gun4hire
Geez, guys...he's already replaced the tires... LOL!

IMO, they are ok for the street as long as you dont want to stick in the corners. They wear well though and I run them, but I wouldnt use them again at the track.
lol as for these new tires. I dont really go to the track, so not a big problem and mainly just wanted to get a quick fix as im also looking at a set of tt2's on a parked t/a locally. Hopefully i can get those for a nice cheap price, since they've just been sittin on that t/a for over a year now...then ill throw some drag radials on them.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Teching In

9 times out of 10 it's caused by an impact. If it cracks the inner liner of the tire, that will cause air to leak into the sidewall, causing the bubble.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am in the tire business....you need a new tire. Do not listen to these guys (some of them anyways) replace the tire asap.

Quick Reply: Ball in tire, what does it mean...