Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

nitrous in the tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Ricer;11197434]to the people that are responding with the "air is 7X% nitrogen" argument... you are missing the point of 100% nitrogen filled tires. It has nothing to do with the percent of nitrogen... it has to do with moisture in the gas that is put into your tires. Have you ever pulled the drain plug on a compressor? water comes out.. thats the moist air that is being pumped into your tires. The fact that nitrogen makes up the majority of air is the reason nitrogen is used..

re-read what i wrote, "your better off with a dry supply from an air compressor"
i understand water is a byproduct of compression but with a GOOD filter and regular draining its almost non- exsistant. also, it most certainly does have to do with the percentance of nitrogen. nitrogen is an inert gas, so temperature doesnt effect it and since their is a direct relationship between temperature and pressure your pressure stays the same. nitrogen has been used for decades in the HVAC-R field for this reason, and this is why they are starting to use it in tires.

Last edited by subarubill96; 03-07-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i agree with above. they didnt do it because our air is mostly nitrogen. thats liek putting someone nitrogen at a hospital instead of oxygen because its mostly what we breathe in. that doesnt mean its good. its the stability of the gas.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still want to try some nitrous in my tires.....
Old 03-07-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Attached Thumbnails nitrous in the tires-nawz-1.gif  
Old 03-08-2009, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=subarubill96;11198552]
Originally Posted by Ricer
to the people that are responding with the "air is 7X% nitrogen" argument... you are missing the point of 100% nitrogen filled tires. It has nothing to do with the percent of nitrogen... it has to do with moisture in the gas that is put into your tires. Have you ever pulled the drain plug on a compressor? water comes out.. thats the moist air that is being pumped into your tires. The fact that nitrogen makes up the majority of air is the reason nitrogen is used..

re-read what i wrote, "your better off with a dry supply from an air compressor"
i understand water is a byproduct of compression but with a GOOD filter and regular draining its almost non- exsistant. also, it most certainly does have to do with the percentance of nitrogen. nitrogen is an inert gas, so temperature doesnt effect it and since their is a direct relationship between temperature and pressure your pressure stays the same. nitrogen has been used for decades in the HVAC-R field for this reason, and this is why they are starting to use it in tires.
first.. i wasn't referring to anyone specific or anything you specifically said... so dont get offended.. i was referring to that response in general.

second.. you COMPLETELY misunderstood what i meant about "it has nothing to do with the percent"... i was only referring to the argument that "nitrogen is 7X% of air anyways... so 100% nitrogen is a scam"... as in the percent of nitrogen doesn't matter in that argument.. because its not a matter of how much nitrogen is in the air.. its all the OTHER stuff thats in the air.. i fully understand the advantages of pure nitrogen in tires as a stable gas... kind of why i said what i said
Old 03-08-2009, 01:20 AM
Launching!

Someone told me that they got 2 MPG better when they put the NITROGEN in the tires.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:25 AM
Launching!

Haha nitrous in the tires. Wouldn't mind trying nitrogen though.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

nitrogen is awesome in tires! we use it in all of our aircraft. 100% nitrogen is very resistant to temperature changes so what you fill your tires up as cold is what its still going to be hot. like everyone said if you have to pay for it dont do it though. but if its free............
Old 03-08-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iceman can
Someone told me that they got 2 MPG better when they put the NITROGEN in the tires.
sounds like someone trying to justify buying the nitrogen.

it is possible though. its from putting more air in.
more air = less tire on road = less friction = greater mpg/acceleration
(acceleration once it has grip that is...)
Old 03-08-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daves94formula
nitrogen is awesome in tires! we use it in all of our aircraft. 100% nitrogen is very resistant to temperature changes so what you fill your tires up as cold is what its still going to be hot. like everyone said if you have to pay for it dont do it though. but if its free............
just curious, do you have to purge the tire after mounting it to get rid of any of the air that was trapped inside, or just mount it and fill it?
Old 03-08-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Ricer;11199592]
Originally Posted by subarubill96

first.. i wasn't referring to anyone specific or anything you specifically said... so dont get offended.. i was referring to that response in general.

second.. you COMPLETELY misunderstood what i meant about "it has nothing to do with the percent"... i was only referring to the argument that "nitrogen is 7X% of air anyways... so 100% nitrogen is a scam"... as in the percent of nitrogen doesn't matter in that argument.. because its not a matter of how much nitrogen is in the air.. its all the OTHER stuff thats in the air.. i fully understand the advantages of pure nitrogen in tires as a stable gas... kind of why i said what i said
i didnt take it personal, i was just mentioning that the argument about getting moisture from atmo air from a compressor can be almost solved with a good filter and regular draining. i understand what your saying about the 78%-100% thing, but like you mentioned the moisture issue is mostly from moisture laden compressors so im not sure the 22% oxygen+ various other stuff has an impact on adding to the problem. any thoughts on this?

moral of the story, CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE REGULARLY
i think the whole nitrogen/ tire pressure monitoring systems thing is an attempt to solve the issue that 99% of people dont ever check their pressures so they drive around wasting tons of gas on under/ over inflated tires.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by subarubill96
just curious, do you have to purge the tire after mounting it to get rid of any of the air that was trapped inside, or just mount it and fill it?
im a big believer in purging. if your not going to do it right the first time just dont do it at all.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

How much are they charging for this service? Seems retarded... We've already gone 100+ years with air in tires.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look under my name there was apretty good thread I created about this too. I would say in 15 years most people will use this instead of air.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daves94formula
im a big believer in purging. if your not going to do it right the first time just dont do it at all.
i couldnt agree more with that, i figured they had to have some way of purging it or it was all for nothing. i imagine you use some kind of vacuum pump to purge? i do commerical HVAC-R so im not new to the process but since ive never seen any of the stuff for tire use i figured id ask. thanks
Old 12-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Default How do I know if there ACTUALLY is nitrogen in the tires?

I mean aside from the obvious "green valve stem caps" which I can pick up for about $.02 anywhere and put on the tires without actually putting Nitrogen in, how do I know for a fact that Nitrogen has actually been put into the tire and not just some green stem caps? Any test or check I could perform to be sure... I'm convinced this is the new garage scam. Green caps and a hefty bill.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Really?!? No one out there has any kind of answer for me? Seems like the perfect crime!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DlXlE
Supposedly(the key word) it is less prone to losing pressure when the temperature is constantly going up and down.
No it is not... since it is denser it takes "longer to change"; but the net effect will be the same. P1/T1 = P2/T2...
Old 12-31-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

how bout helium lol