Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

15" Weldstar RTs on F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15" Weldstar RTs on F-Body

Has anybody done these yet? If so please post pics.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've read on the other post with pictures, if they have less then 1.75" backspace on the fronts (backspace was stated), the wheels will stick out and look funny in my opinion. The rears should look fine though.

Overall a very nice looking wheel. Not sure if I'd use them as an everyday street wheel (though
Old 03-07-2009, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As Steve said, I would not run these on the street everyday.

Last edited by Camaro396; 03-07-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Teching In

They are 1.50" backspace and fit well on the front, flush with the fender just like the 15x10 7.5" backspace rear.

Guaranteed 1200# load rating for everyday street use. More cornering capacity than any other "street/strip" wheel out there.

Camaro396, where do you word?
Old 03-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Camaro396, where do you work?
Old 03-07-2009, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by srider
Camaro396, where do you work?
Sam's Speed Shop/Adkins Racecars, in Milan Michigan.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by srider
They are 1.50" backspace and fit well on the front, flush with the fender just like the 15x10 7.5" backspace rear.

Guaranteed 1200# load rating for everyday street use. More cornering capacity than any other "street/strip" wheel out there.
Just to clarify, I'm not doubting their strength or durability. My comment related to using a skinny/wide combo as an everyday street setup. It pretty much ruins normal driving and braking. The setup is more of a drag design used for drag racing in straight lines.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Teching In

I will drag race with these, along with some street duty. I have C5 ZO6 wheels with F1 Supercar tires for the twistie. I just don't want to grind on my calipers no matter what.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:35 PM

Camaro396,

You work with Ricky? Tell him Fickler said hi.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2009, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fickler
Camaro396,

You work with Ricky? Tell him Fickler said hi.

Thanks
Will do. Are you Kyle Fickler? If so, that's awesome! Great work with the new designs. I hope I can sell my prostars so I can afford a rear set of the polished Weldstars! Wheels look amazing!! I'll tell Ricky you said hello!

-Lance
Old 03-08-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro396
Will do. Are you Kyle Fickler? If so, that's awesome! Great work with the new designs. I hope I can sell my prostars so I can afford a rear set of the polished Weldstars! Wheels look amazing!! I'll tell Ricky you said hello!

-Lance
Thanks Lance!

Scott and the engineering team did a great job, especially when it came to putting the wheel where the caliper isn't!
Old 03-08-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

where can u get a set of weldstars
Old 03-08-2009, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSXFORMULA99
I sell them through my work but I am not a sponsor so I can't sell them on here. They can be purchased from Summit Racing though. I believe the rears retail for 422.95 each.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:21 PM
FormerVendor

Summit carries them. Other Weld sponsors on the board may be able to help as well.

Giving a comparison to our Bogart drag wheels and 15's in general. Clarifying so nobody gets their feathers ruffled, this is not mentioned to state our wheels or others are better or worse...these are JUST comparisons and things to consider.

1)They are more expensive and much heavier. Using these wheels will leave a minimum of 50-75lbs of weight on the car making stopping distances even longer and worse 60ft times. By their appearance, 75 lbs is probably not far off. The centers look very beefy to increase lateral load strength.
2) They are considered a street duty wheel but do not have near the benefit's of drag wheels (just as other street/strip style wheels offered).
3)Front backspace is suggested at 1.5" based on previous poster which places the wheel very close to the fender lip. Lowered cars (and non-lowered) may have issues with the tires hitting the plastic fender lip. 1.75" backspace or larger is preferred to tuck the wheel inward under the fender lip.
4) 15" wheels configured will ALWAYS give poor handling and braking in comparison to even the stock setup...going to this setup for everyday driving will not improve the vehicles driving characteristics, only worsen it! Due to this, I do not suggest anyone to switch to 15's for normal usage, street duty wheels or not. The MAIN reason for switching to 15's are for performance improvements on the track or racing on approved streets. In order to reap performance gains, using a light-weight wheel is the most important factor.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fickler
Thanks Lance!

Scott and the engineering team did a great job, especially when it came to putting the wheel where the caliper isn't!
No kidding! Ricky said you had a nice display down at the PRI show! Wish I could have made it! You now own Weld Racing correct?
Old 03-08-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

ok im going to check them out. i dont really want to spend that much but they look so damn good.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:15 PM
FormerVendor

ok im going to check them out. i dont really want to spend that much but they look so damn good.
I have to agree, they are very nice looking. To me, they are like their old XP series wheels which looked very nice which were their "street" version wheels. These are even nicer looking then the xp's. I think the xp's failed (discontinued) due to most disliking how heavy they were. Lance, if he's an owner may want to shed a bit more light on why they were discontinued. Back when they were available, if you mentioned you had them...the first remark seemed to be "they are so damn heavy...why bother changing your wheels..."

It seems some of the new upcoming racers may be overlooking wheel weights yet still want 15's... They apparently want to look like they have a race setup but don't want the drastic weight loss and performance enhancements that drag wheels have to offer. The main reason why people should consider to switch to 15's. It certainly isn't from a braking or handling perspective.

There is no right or wrong answer as to what each person should choose. If the goal of the person is to just want 15's to look good...pick your poison. If reasoning is for racing enhancements, choosing 15" wheels which are lighter will prove much more beneficial to the end user.

Depending on weights, these differences can mean the difference of for example .05-.1 second in a quarter mile...or like someone adding a 50- 75shot of nitrous without the increased wear and tear on the engine when they choose the lighter components.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:31 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is turning into another "all other wheels dont look good, are too heavy, and are not designed to be magnificant like a bogart" thread.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
I have to agree, they are very nice looking. To me, they are like their old XP series wheels which looked very nice which were their "street" version wheels. These are even nicer looking then the xp's. I think the xp's failed (discontinued) due to most disliking how heavy they were. Lance, if he's an owner may want to shed a bit more light on why they were discontinued. Back when they were available, if you mentioned you had them...the first remark seemed to be "they are so damn heavy...why bother changing your wheels..."

It seems some of the new upcoming racers may be overlooking wheel weights yet still want 15's... They apparently want to look like they have a race setup but don't want the drastic weight loss and performance enhancements that drag wheels have to offer. The main reason why people should consider to switch to 15's. It certainly isn't from a braking or handling perspective.

There is no right or wrong answer as to what each person should choose. If the goal of the person is to just want 15's to look good...pick your poison. If reasoning is for racing enhancements, choosing 15" wheels which are lighter will prove much more beneficial to the end user.

Depending on weights, these differences can mean the difference of for example .05-.1 second in a quarter mile...or like someone adding a 50- 75shot of nitrous without the increased wear and tear on the engine when they choose the lighter components.

weigth does matter but not that much, my car isnt a full out drag car. if i like the look of a wheel that weighs more i will get it instead of getting a lighter one that i dont like.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Teching In

SJM, PM me a price on Bogarts as well. As long as I do not have to grind on my brakes.

Quick Reply: 15" Weldstar RTs on F-Body