Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What drag wheel will fit without grinding??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might put some lt1 brakes on the back and gain some clearance. a 15x9 convo pro don't take alot of grinding but still needs some. it looks like either pay alot and no grinding and have lighter wheels also or save quite a bit of coin and do alittle grinding (which sounds worse than it is)
Old 05-14-2009, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ever since I saw Matt D's ground down calipar come apart, and totaling his car, I've decided I'd rather spend the money on wheels that fit correctly.
The following users liked this post:
fucter (03-18-2021)
Old 05-14-2009, 08:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slow trap
might put some lt1 brakes on the back and gain some clearance. a 15x9 convo pro don't take alot of grinding but still needs some. it looks like either pay alot and no grinding and have lighter wheels also or save quite a bit of coin and do alittle grinding (which sounds worse than it is)
I may be biased, but to change to brakes that stop worse are heavier and have more fade doesn't make sense to me. By the time you spend 150.00+ on downgrades...you're now far closer to better wheel choices.

A prostar is a good choice if money is tight and its the only mod you're doing. There are shortcomings such as grinding and loosing racing benifits...as discussed stopping shorter, less drivetrain stress, quicker times etc.

I often wonder the folks that saved a few dollars picking up the prostars...then went out and spent 600.00 to have a k-member put on the car what they feel they saved? If they would have purchased light-weight drag wheels from the start, they would have spent less time, less effort, and lost more weight having greater results in the end with only one wheel purchase. After choosing the lightweight wheels, now go out and get a k-member.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
I often wonder the folks that saved a few dollars picking up the prostars...then went out and spent 600.00 to have a k-member put on the car what they feel they saved? If they would have purchased light-weight drag wheels from the start, they would have spent less time, less effort, and lost more weight having greater results in the end with only one wheel purchase. After choosing the lightweight wheels, now go out and get a k-member.
Couldn't agree more. But I don't think many people understand the concept of rolling mass vs. static weight.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, price me out a setup for my car and we can go from there. I already have your abs delete kit and really like the quality so I do not have any issues dealing with you. You can pm me or just post in the thread whatever is best. Thanks again for the time.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:42 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Camaro396
Couldn't agree more. But I don't think many people understand the concept of rolling mass vs. static weight.
That's why I keep hammering out my comments. Unfortunately, some people think that I only make comments to try to make us look better. There's many choices out there, none being wrong. Weld makes very nice lightweight wheels...I noticed you picked up a set of the Weld Alumastar fronts for your setup at the track. …Great compliment to your ride, superlight and nice design.

03 Busa, give me a call if you need the wheels setup for your car (or e-mail me using the form when you click my link below so I know how to spec the wheels for you). Prices vary according to how we build them. We don’t use PM’s on the boards.

Thank you for your continued interest in our products.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Shawn, I bought some greg welds dragstars for the front for my camaro and they fit the fronts without having to grind any. They are 15X3.5 and not to expensive, I think I paid $280 for both shipped to my door. But I was like you I wanted some that wouldn't require any grinding and I found out that these fit without griding BUT that is only the fronts, the rears require all kinds of grinding from what I've read. And I've seen a few people go with these in the front and pro stars in the back and I think thats what I'm going to match mine with sense they dont take to much grinding. But they do make the greg welds dragstars and I bounced on some when I found that out. Hope this helps man.

Brad
Old 05-15-2009, 01:02 PM
FormerVendor

Greg welds are discontinued. Summit clearanced them for ~99.00/wheel not too long ago.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

As Steve said, Greg Welds were a cool cheap front, and matched excellent with Prostar rears, but they have since been sold off and your only bet is finding a used set. Not to mention, my Prostars (even WITH spacers) required far more grinding than I was comfortable with doing. If you're going to do it, do it right and put a drag brake on the car, or buy a wheel that is designed to properly fit, whether it be a Bogart wheel, Weld wheel, or BS wheel.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As Steve said, Greg Welds were a cool cheap front, and matched excellent with Prostar rears, but they have since been sold off and your only bet is finding a used set. Not to mention, my Prostars (even WITH spacers) required far more grinding than I was comfortable with doing. If you're going to do it, do it right and put a drag brake on the car, or buy a wheel that is designed to properly fit, whether it be a Bogart wheel, Weld wheel, or BS wheel.
were you talking about the front of the rears when you said you had to grind off more than you were comfortable with?
Old 05-16-2009, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brads LS1 02Z
were you talking about the front of the rears when you said you had to grind off more than you were comfortable with?
Rear. Before I had Greg Weld fronts, I just used a spacers with the Prostar fronts.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

I don't know which "Welds" you're refering to, but the ones in discusison here require no grinding and no spacer.
the original weld wheels. not the new greg weld wheels. i had the drag lites on my car and had to clearance the rear calipers to fit the 15 x 10 7.5" backspacing. needed a 5/16" spacer for the 15 x 3.5 fronts. many have had to do this.

bottom of page is what i did to clearance the calipers
http://www.stealthram.com/wheels.htm
Old 05-16-2009, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrr23
the original weld wheels. not the new greg weld wheels. i had the drag lites on my car and had to clearance the rear calipers to fit the 15 x 10 7.5" backspacing. needed a 5/16" spacer for the 15 x 3.5 fronts. many have had to do this.

bottom of page is what i did to clearance the calipers
http://www.stealthram.com/wheels.htm
Greg Weld wheels have nothing to do with Weld Racing. Greg Weld is also no longer in business. Weld Draglites and Weld Prostars require grinding to fit. However the new Weld Racing R/T wheels clear stock brakes with NO griding, and NO spacers.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:43 PM
10 Second Club

Greg Weld wheels have nothing to do with Weld Racing. Greg Weld is also no longer in business. Weld Draglites and Weld Prostars require grinding to fit. However the new Weld Racing R/T wheels clear stock brakes with NO griding, and NO spacers.
i was helping to clarify which weld wheels that wvaboy was refering to. i see now, you knew that answer but asked which ones he was refering to anyway. about time weld made some wheels to clear the calipers.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrr23
i was helping to clarify which weld wheels that wvaboy was refering to. i see now, you knew that answer but asked which ones he was refering to anyway. about time weld made some wheels to clear the calipers.
No, I wasn't sure. That's why I asked. This whole thread was about the new Weld wheels that clear without grinding, and then he came in and said the Welds don't fit without grinding, so I wanted to clarify which wheels he was talking about.
The following users liked this post:
fucter (03-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No, I wasn't sure. That's why I asked. This whole thread was about the new Weld wheels that clear without grinding, and then he came in and said the Welds don't fit without grinding, so I wanted to clarify which wheels he was talking about.
do you have any pics of your wheels setup that you could post up?
Old 05-18-2009, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brads LS1 02Z
do you have any pics of your wheels setup that you could post up?

Same setup as above, only with 17x4 Weld Alumastar fronts

Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

How much do the alumastar weigh?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Bump.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=Camaro396;11590731]Weird. My Welds went all all four corners with no grinding.
QUOTE]

Ok, well add the Weld Alumastars to that list also. They are new so they slipped my mind. LOL

Quick Reply: What drag wheel will fit without grinding??