Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

My new Billet Specialties Street Lites

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by outtacontrolz28
Not even close, tire is actually inside the lip of the fender about 1/2". Nice 1st post btw
Thanks! I do what I can.

It is not a knock on you, or your car (which I dig besides the front wheel offset)... it has just been a pet peeve of mine when there is a boatload of wheel options out there and manufacturers can't make them fit right.

The style is cool, I just wished they sat back in a little more, ya know?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Banned

wheels ,car and stance all look good

The wheels do not stick out of the wheel wells on these car and as he said it's just the pic. We have done a few sets and they are all within the wheel well.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bumper Dragger
Thanks! I do what I can.

It is not a knock on you, or your car (which I dig besides the front wheel offset)... it has just been a pet peeve of mine when there is a boatload of wheel options out there and manufacturers can't make them fit right.

The style is cool, I just wished they sat back in a little more, ya know?
Yea, its cool. It should look a lil better once my car goes back to stock height as soon as my QA1's shocks and springs get here. I'm gonna be getting drag brakes as well, so I shouldnt have to run the 1/4" spacer on the front.

I agree with you too. If they can make the rears specifically for the rears on f-bodies, why cant they make them for the fronts.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

goddamn car is ******* sick
Old 06-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Banned

Yea, its cool. It should look a lil better once my car goes back to stock height as soon as my QA1's shocks and springs get here. I'm gonna be getting drag brakes as well, so I shouldnt have to run the 1/4" spacer on the front.

I agree with you too. If they can make the rears specifically for the rears on f-bodies, why cant they make them for the fronts.

This is true and the wheel will be tucked in tighter. The drag brake setup with these wheels look sick.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That picture of the front wheel isn't an illusion then. I can't imagine you're not going to scrub the plastic fender lip.

The front wheel sits as such because the backspace is only 1 3/8". This pushes the wheel 1/2" to 1" out further from the wheel well. Further than any other wheels on the market. We set ours for 4th gen cars to 1.75" to 2" fwiw.

Unless the shell manufacture that Billet Specialites uses makes custom shells, direct fitment is not going to happen. We've used the same shells on our street strip wheels but do not push them for the F-bodies due to backspace requirements they need. I never felt comfortable with that small of a backspace.

Don't get me wrong, the wheels look nice, they look similar to our welded RT wheels. What I don't like is how the fronts sit and they are quite a bit heavier than most drag setups (To be fair, they are not considered drag wheels).

Other comment I'd have is you have a drag tire setup on a street style wheel. You would have had greater benefits by using a drag wheel. You would have dropped an easy converted 50 lbs of mass!! Braking distances would be shorter, 60ft times better. This doesn't mean it has to be our wheels, there are many out there...especially if you were changing to drag brakes. Weld also has some very nice products. Using drag brakes, we can create a backspace close to 3 inches and slam the wheel inward if you wanted!

Otherwise, everything else looks great.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 06-03-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fly pantera
goddamn car is ******* sick
Thanks bro
Old 06-03-2009, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
That picture of the front wheel isn't an illusion then. I can't imagine you're not going to scrub the plastic fender lip.

The front wheel sits as such because the backspace is only 1 3/8". This pushes the wheel 1/2" to 1" out further from the wheel well. Further than any other wheels on the market. We set ours for 4th gen cars to 1.75" to 2" fwiw.

Unless the shell manufacture that Billet Specialites uses makes custom shells, direct fitment is not going to happen. We've used the same shells on our street strip wheels but do not push them for the F-bodies due to backspace requirements they need. I never felt comfortable with that small of a backspace.

Don't get me wrong, the wheels look nice, they look similar to our welded RT wheels. What I don't like is how the fronts sit and they are quite a bit heavier than most drag setups (To be fair, they are not considered drag wheels).

Otherwise, everything else looks great.

I see what you are saying. I just wanted something diffrent, everyone and their brother have Bogarts. Dont get me wrong I was looking at them for the longest time and they are awesome looking wheels, but I wanted to get something no one else has around here. When I get the front drag brakes they will actually look exceptionly better. My car is lowered quite a bit also, its going back to stock height next week then it wont look like its gonna rub at all. I havent had an issue at all with it rubbing anywhere, I've had the wheels of and checked for rubbing.

Last edited by outtacontrolz28; 06-03-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 AM
FormerVendor

I was hesitant to writing that message as I didn't want it to come off sounding what you got was bad. There are many choices on the market, weld has a new street series wheel that fits similar to yours and looks nice as well.

They will fit better with the drag brakes.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Great looking wheels man. Looking at getting me some 17x7 and 17x11's soon! Then following that may be getting some 15x10's for Track Duty.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

Man those look sick! What rear springs are you using? Coilovers up front? I like the stance of your car. PM the details if ya dont mind!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Banned

I see what you are saying. I just wanted something diffrent, everyone and their brother around my area have Bogarts. Dont get me wrong I was looking at them for the longest time and they are awesome looking wheels, but I wanted to get something no one else has around here. When I get the front drag brakes they will actually look exceptionly better. My car is lowered quite a bit also, its going back to stock height next week then it wont look like its gonna rub at all. I havent had an issue at all with it rubbing anywhere, I've had the wheels of and checked for rubbing.
Who cares that everyone has bogarts? Lot's of people have MS4's too! Lot's of people have them, because they work and are probably the best drag wheel for an F-Body you can get. When looking for drag wheels, you get the lightest you can go with. Just becuase it's rare and looks good, isn't gonna make you fast man.

To each their own I guess.

I don't think you can take Bogart's on the street though, maybe that had something to do with you choice too?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Who cares that everyone has bogarts? Lot's of people have MS4's too! Lot's of people have them, because they work and are probably the best drag wheel for an F-Body you can get. When looking for drag wheels, you get the lightest you can go with. Just becuase it's rare and looks good, isn't gonna make you fast man.

To each their own I guess.

I don't think you can take Bogart's on the street though, maybe that had something to do with you choice too?
Yea, I know everyone has alot of the stuff I do. There is only so much you can get for an f-body that no one else has. Bogart's not being street friendly had alot to do with it. I am gonna be driving the car on the street quite a bit, so thats why I went with what I did. I know looks dont make you go fast, thats why I am starting my LSX turbo build here soon.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
Man those look sick! What rear springs are you using? Coilovers up front? I like the stance of your car. PM the details if ya dont mind!
PM sent
Old 06-03-2009, 01:54 PM
FormerVendor

He's happy with his choice, that is what is most important. I didn't post in here to state this wheel is better or that wheel better. Billet Specialties has a drag series wheel that is much lighter. They don't just make street/strip wheels. I believe they only make one 15" rear wheel that works with the OEM LS1 rear brakes. Unlike ours, we can build just about anything as we do it all in house...I feel personalized attention to detail is our niche.

On a side note, we do make a variety of wheels, they are not all just drag. Billet Specialty street/strip wheels are no different than our street/strip wheels...they were the same type shells purchased from an outside source. The center section is shaped slightly different.

I have built them for a few F-bodies but as mentioned, never liked the backspace of the fronts (and obviously heavier like Billet Specialities street/strip). All our other series wheels, are built from top to bottom in-house.

On a personal level, I don't understand how people like running slicks/skinnies on the street as daily usage. Handling and braking is just so terrible even in comparison to the stock wheels. The Hoosier tire selection the poster made is meant for the track not the street. They definitely are not designed for highway use.

Please to others, post towards the original posters wheels, not ours. I want the original poster to get all the attention he deserves for his choice. My initial comment was to make him aware of his front fender.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 06-03-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

He's happy with his choice. Nothing wrong with that. I didn't post in here to state this wheel is better or that wheel better. Billet Specialties has a drag series wheel that is much lighter. They don't just make street/strip wheels. I believe they only make one 15" rear wheel that works with the OEM LS1 rear brakes. Unlike ours, we can build just about anything as we do it all in house...I feel personalized attention to detail is our niche.

On a side note, we do make a variety of wheels, they are not all just drag. Billet Specialty street/strip wheels are no different than our street/strip wheels...they were the same type shells purchased from an outside source. The center section is shaped slightly different.

I have built them for a few F-bodies but as mentioned, never liked the backspace of the fronts (and obviously heavier like Billet Specialities street/strip). All our other series wheels, are built from top to bottom in-house.

Please to others, post towards the original posters wheels, not ours. I want the original poster to get all the attention he deserves for his choice. My initial coment was to make him aware of his front fender.
Thanks man, I never took it as you were bashing my choice or the wheels. I know where you were coming from by your comments. I actually recommend you guys to a couple of my buddies that are looking for some drag setups. Where as I purchased mine for more of a street/strip setup. Had I known more about your wheels I would have prolly went that direction.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:08 PM
FormerVendor

I'm happy that you didn't take it the wrong way or get offended. I didn't intend it to be a bashing post. Once you change the front OEM brakes to drag brakes, it will have a better stance. In the meantime, you could consider grinding the front brakes and removing that spacer.

Regarding being different. We do have about 17 different style wheels to pick from that would directly fit your front/rear brakes. I could have created custom variations as well.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 06-03-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

I'm happy that you didn't take it the wrong way or get offended. I didn't intend it to be a bashing post. Once you change the front OEM brakes to drag brakes, it will have a better stance. In the meantime, you could consider grinding the front brakes and removing that spacer.

Regarding being different. We do have about 17 different style wheels to pick from that would directly fit your front/rear brakes. I could have created custom variations as well.
Yea, I was actually gonna try to grind them this weekend and see what happens. If not I will be getting Aerospace calipers here pretty soon, hopefully I wont have to grind them.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:30 PM
FormerVendor

I'd choose Strange Engineering parts over Aerospace. Machining, rotors and calipers are nicer. They are slightly more, but not dramatically more expensive. They are listed here: http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_...1.html#Strange Drag Rotors.

If you're only looking at aerospaces rotors and calipers (their original design), they are quite a bit less BUT you're essentially getting rotors/calipers and pads with a bracket only....plus you aren't loosing as much mass (I think about 30-35lbs if I'm not mistaken). The higher-end setups will drop ~55lbs of mass...you're getting new pads/rotors/calipers/spindle/bearings, billet cap seals etc...actually for the difference in price, you're getting quite a bit more...AND when you need to replace bearings, unlike GM's expensive sealed bearings...its ALOT less expensive (since you are replacing all of them within the kit).
Old 06-03-2009, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

I'd choose Strange Engineering parts over Aerospace. Machining, rotors and calipers are nicer. They are slightly more, but not dramatically more expensive. They are listed here: http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_...1.html#Strange Drag Rotors.

If you're only looking at aerospaces rotors and calipers (their original design), they are quite a bit less BUT you're essentially getting rotors/calipers and pads with a bracket only....plus you aren't loosing as much mass (I think about 30-35lbs if I'm not mistaken). The higher-end setups will drop ~55lbs of mass...you're getting new pads/rotors/calipers/spindle/bearings, billet cap seals etc...actually for the difference in price, you're getting quite a bit more...AND when you need to replace bearings, unlike GM's expensive sealed bearings...its ALOT less expensive (since you are replacing all of them within the kit).
I've been looking at Strange also, from the looks of it you will be getting a call here in the next week or so for my brakes

Quick Reply: My new Billet Specialties Street Lites