Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Nitto NT01 OR Toyo R888

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
within reason, what works best on an import doesnt always work best on an f-body. for example, the gold standard, the bar against which all other street tires are measured (as per rags like grassroots and the like say) are the falken 615s. i use them as track tires on my TA. while they work great for light little jap cars like miatas, under a real car with real power and weight, they simply get greasy and loose. theyre not bad, and im sure better then any other street tire, but comparing apples to apples on 2 cars that are apples and oranges, you see the differance.

if youre talking true r-comps, or a hybrid like the NT01, results can be more level across muscle cars and imports.
yeah, i've sworn by falken azenis rt tires for many years. i ran a few sets of the falken azenis rt-215 tires (same tire, just predecessor with different tread pattern for the rt-615) on a few cars that weighed between 2,000-2,400 lbs. on those cars, you simply never exceeded the grip. if you did, it was very predictable.
with my convertible, its a different story. like you say, they get loose pretty quick and you need a good R compound to keep all that momentum and torque in check.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not mentioned in any of this discussion is one of the biggest differences in the imports vs. the domestics.. SUSPENSION DESIGN, and more specifically, camber.

The f-body is limited in available camber in the front, and 0 camber in the rear. THAT affects what tire to run more than a few hundred pounds. Some tires work well with only a little camber, some need 3+ degrees to work.

FWIW, none of the folks on the f-body road racing board have been very happy with the R888's, from what I've read.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
Interesting coming from a person who was asking for advice in the first place.
Evidently I should have been more clear in my initial post when I was asking for this "advice" lol. The information that I really was after was how these tires act under lateral forces not so much linear forces. That's why I valued the reviews I found to be pretty comparable and useful in my decision making seeing the cars are close in weight and have substantial power that they're putting to the ground. Yes, I understand that they have an AWD advantage that does play largely into their favor, again, I was just trying to get a GENERAL IDEA from them as to which tire performed better for them. Both tires that I was trying to decide on are a road racing/auto x R-Comp tire that are in the EXACT same class of tire, so while what he was telling me was not untrue, like I said, it was not really answering what I was asking or was after either. (Again, evidently I should have been more clear in my initial post). Regardless, the decision was made and I will see how I like the tires. Simple as that.

I did not disagree with what EchoMirage had said, nothing he said was inaccurate. I said that numerous times. I'm not arguing with him or disputing his points, again, they are valid. It was just information that I already knew and wasn't after.

Regardless, the tires are bought and I'll see how I like them, I'll be running them behind a Procharged car with a good deal of suspension work so once I get done testing them out and getting my initial impressions of them I'll post up on here so that the F-Crowd has a good review of a road racing/auto x type tire. Most of the guys around here just go with a M/T or a Hoosier DR which is really only geared for straight line stuff.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Eskimo

FWIW, none of the folks on the f-body road racing board have been very happy with the R888's, from what I've read.
i know you're on frrax (i troll it along with a bunch of other boards where people actually DRIVE their cars) so you've probably seen some things that i havent (link?), but i found quite a few good comments about them. a few other boards where people have gone through multiple sets have discussed how the tires have different characteristics where they're more rewarding to cleaner driving (less slip angle) compared to the RA-1, or where increasing tire pressures benefit traction/wear (something seemingly ridiculous like 40psi+ hot). i'm sure you could drift with them, but from what i gather, they're not going to be as forgiving in terms of wear or lap times as the RA-1 unless you can drive the smooth line. the few negative reviews that i did find (i think it was on a bmw) seem like exact copies of those i see about every other tire where the newb driver chunked a tire to death because he was still learning know how to drive.

i attached a shot of something i found on frrax which shows cornering force vs slip angle at various inflation pressures as compared to the RA-1 tires. you can see where you have much more cornering force with the r888's any any pressure, but that it is optimal around 45 psi and drops off with enough slip angle.
Attached Thumbnails Nitto NT01 OR Toyo R888-r888.vs.ra1.jpg  

Last edited by BobDoLe; 06-16-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
i know you're on frrax (i troll it along with a bunch of other boards where people actually DRIVE their cars) so you've probably seen some things that i havent (link?), but i found quite a few good comments about them. a few other boards where people have gone through multiple sets have discussed how the tires have different characteristics where they're more rewarding to cleaner driving (less slip angle) compared to the RA-1, or where increasing tire pressures benefit traction/wear (something seemingly ridiculous like 40psi+ hot). i'm sure you could drift with them, but from what i gather, they're not going to be as forgiving in terms of wear or lap times as the RA-1 unless you can drive the smooth line. the few negative reviews that i did find (i think it was on a bmw) seem like exact copies of those i see about every other tire where the newb driver chunked a tire to death because he was still learning know how to drive.

i attached a shot of something i found on frrax which shows cornering force vs slip angle at various inflation pressures as compared to the RA-1 tires. you can see where you have much more cornering force with the r888's any any pressure, but that it is optimal around 45 psi and drops off with enough slip angle.
From what I've seen the vette guys have had very good luck with the R888. I too wonder why the F-car crowd hasn't liked them??
Old 06-16-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never been in a car with the Nittos. But, a local guy I know has an '04 KB Cobra making 753rwhp, and had some 335/30/18 Toyo R888's. When he gave me a ride, he punched it at 35 in 2nd, and they just hooked like crazy. They didn't even chirp hitting 3rd. It was crazy. I figured anything short of a slick would go up in smoke on that car from a lower roll like that.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tspence45
I've never been in a car with the Nittos. But, a local guy I know has an '04 KB Cobra making 753rwhp, and had some 335/30/18 Toyo R888's. When he gave me a ride, he punched it at 35 in 2nd, and they just hooked like crazy. They didn't even chirp hitting 3rd. It was crazy. I figured anything short of a slick would go up in smoke on that car from a lower roll like that.

Well it's still an R-compound tire so the rubber is set up for grip. I just wouldn't expect it to accelerate from a dig like a M/T or Hoosier DR because of the sidewall construction, just like I wouldn't expect a Hoosier or M/T to corner as well as a Road/Auto X tire would. But both the Nitto and the Toyo should give pretty good straight line grip as well just because of the tire compound being used.

I'll post up some pics of mine tomorrow, they are suppose to be delivered then.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red, you will really enjoy the NT01's they are a great tire.. My set will probably be used up after the track event in October but you will be happy with the NT01's.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SOMSS1LE
Red, you will really enjoy the NT01's they are a great tire.. My set will probably be used up after the track event in October but you will be happy with the NT01's.
How much life did you get out of them?

Quick Reply: Nitto NT01 OR Toyo R888