Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Clearcoat on aluminum rims???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearcoat on aluminum rims???

Can you clearcoat a pollished aluminum rim like TT'2's, like they do stock WS6 rims?? And yes I do know about zoop seal!!!!
Old 11-12-2003, 07:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AK's WS6
Can you clearcoat a pollished aluminum rim like TT'2's, like they do stock WS6 rims?? And yes I do know about zoop seal!!!!
Sure you can, I do not recommend any type of clear coat or other protective surfaces over polished aluminum with the exception of a good coat of wax. I am not familiar with effects of zoop seal products over time so I will exclude any comments regarding zoop seal...

for the most part, any type of sealer i.e. clear-coating etc will dull and discolor over time. The overall luster will change which would not be desirable.You will find many factory aluminum rims coated due to the fact they are taking into consideration people will use them in everyday harsh conditions, i.e. winter, road salt etc...They‘re intent is being designed to be durable overtime while sacrificing final luster.

We do not coat Bogart rims for the same simple fact, a good coat of wax and occasional compound use is all the should be required to keep them looking like new...of course, if your using them in salt conditions, snow etc, then your definitely better off coating them... I personally wouldn't use any of the higher end rims in any poor driving conditions though...

hope this helps,

Steve
Old 11-12-2003, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea that helps a bunch!!! thanks I use zaino on my car and rims (stock rims) now and that works great I guess when I get new rims i'll just keep up the good work allong with a little compound once or twice a month (no salt or much rain) Thanks again
Old 11-18-2003, 03:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan to try some Zoop Seal on my new Bogarts. We'll see how it works.