Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Better Shots of the RPM 505s on the SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're 275s in the rear, 245s up front. These particular tires are Nexen N3000s which I just bought on the cheap but have been really impressed with. Big wide drag looking tires don't look right on this wheel style IMO. I love the 245/275 combo. Had it on my old Trans Am and the steering feel and overall handling I really grew to love.

Gixxer, it's just a crappy old busted up camera honestly.

Lemons, come on up to Nashville man!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by josh99ta
They're 275s in the rear, 245s up front. These particular tires are Nexen N3000s which I just bought on the cheap but have been really impressed with. Big wide drag looking tires don't look right on this wheel style IMO. I love the 245/275 combo. Had it on my old Trans Am and the steering feel and overall handling I really grew to love.

+1! The Nexans surprisingly hook half way decent also. From a dig I cant hook.. But anything from 25mph and up I hook pretty decently at, of course it is a street tire so I still kick out and spin a good amount, but MUCH better than a lot of street tires I have ran.

I'm taking you up on that offer in the next week or two! Promise!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you explain how the steering has changed by having the 245's up front vs the stock size of 275's? Does the steering lighten up at all or no?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 PM

It's hard to explain without feeling it back to back. Obviously lateral grip up front is decreased, so the car tends to understeer more, but I always dabble in throttle-induced oversteer, so that's never really been a big issue to me. To me, it just feels like the stehttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:http://www.ls1tech.com/get/forums/im...rator.gifering is a little more responsive and that turn-in is a little bit better. We're talking marginal differences here, and I honestly didn't expect there to be any difference at all. Since I don't push the car that hard as it's a street car I never really get into the understeer issue, so I'll take the smaller front tires for more responsive steering. Also, skinnier front tires track less and are also more resistant to hydroplanning, both very good things for a daily driver (not to mention less rotational mass than a wider tire too). There are some disadvantages, but to me unless you're really pushing the car it's more advantageous to run a 245 up front for a daily driver.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

The windshield looks amazing in the pics! Your car is very sharp and all, but your photography makes it looks soooo much better!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

looks great! what offset you running front and rear?
Old 11-12-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car looks great. Where did you get the wheels from? My friend wants some HP evos for a GTO, but those look almost identical.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlueBird346
That car looks great. Where did you get the wheels from? My friend wants some HP evos for a GTO, but those look almost identical.
This is where I got mine.. Not sure where Josh got his. I like these much more because A. no rivets B. price!

http://wheelstudio.com/catalog/produ...&staggered=yes

Don't think this is against rules because no sponsors sell these rims.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemons12
This is where I got mine.. Not sure where Josh got his. I like these much more because A. no rivets B. price!

http://wheelstudio.com/catalog/produ...&staggered=yes

Don't think this is against rules because no sponsors sell these rims.
Thanks, I just sent him that link.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlueBird346
Thanks, I just sent him that link.
I will say that company has excellent customer service and ships very fast! A+++ guys!
Old 11-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Launching!

i also meant to ask how far of a drop did u do on your car
Old 11-14-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ls1freak33
i also meant to ask how far of a drop did u do on your car
Check on him on tnfbody.. He cut his springs. Just look for his thread "minilistic SS build thread" or something of that nature.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lemons12
Check on him on tnfbody.. He cut his springs. Just look for his thread "minilistic SS build thread" or something of that nature.
only problem i have with cuttin them is if it changes the way it rides i dont want it totaly garbage ridin u know but i pro will get them vut just for cheaper purposes where can i get them cut or can i do it myself??
Old 11-15-2009, 10:09 PM

Wheelstudio FTW! Fast shipping (and free), everything I needed including lugs and hubcentric rings, and I like these wheels because they look better than the already amazing looking HP Evos (because they don't have fake rivets) and they're a fraction of the price. My favorite budget wheel by a LONG shot!

FWIW, I've had PLENTY of suspensions under the F-Bodies I've owned...

Stock springs/stock shocks
LG G2 Supersprings/stock shocks
LG G2 Supersprings/Bilsteins
Eibach Pro Kit/stock shocks
Eibach Pro Kit/Bilsteins
QA1s all around with stock springs
QA1s with BMR springs all around
Koni SA 4/4 shocks all around with stock springs

Now I have the cut stock springs on 100k mile stock DeCarbon shocks. It rides just as well as any of the stock springs combos did with really good shocks, and I have some Bilsteins ready to go on so that it'll be a bit more controlled and handle better.

If you don't torch them and actually cut them correctly the spring rate goes up a little, but not much, so the ride should and will remain the same. The only thing that changes is your suspension travel which decreases since the car is lowered. Now if you reach the limits of that suspension travel it'll be more harsh, but reaching the limits of the stock suspension travel is rare.

What I think is funny is that a ton of people swap in QA1 shocks and love them for daily driving/drag duty, they wrench the coilovers down for a lower ride height, and cut stock springs actually retain more spring rate than the 275# QA1 springs with the same loss of suspension travel.

So as you can see, after dropping in excess of $2500 in springs/shocks over the years, I'm MORE than happy to be riding on cut stock springs. I've got a better stance than I've ever had for daily driving (low enough to look good without being so low that it's a problem getting around), it's got as good of a ride as I've ever had as far as comfort goes, good weight transfer, and handling isn't too horrible either (no worse than stock).
Old 11-15-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by 69z-28
looks great! what offset you running front and rear?
It's either +37 or +38 on both the front and rear.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Wheelstudio FTW! Fast shipping (and free), everything I needed including lugs and hubcentric rings, and I like these wheels because they look better than the already amazing looking HP Evos (because they don't have fake rivets) and they're a fraction of the price. My favorite budget wheel by a LONG shot!

FWIW, I've had PLENTY of suspensions under the F-Bodies I've owned...

Stock springs/stock shocks
LG G2 Supersprings/stock shocks
LG G2 Supersprings/Bilsteins
Eibach Pro Kit/stock shocks
Eibach Pro Kit/Bilsteins
QA1s all around with stock springs
QA1s with BMR springs all around
Koni SA 4/4 shocks all around with stock springs

Now I have the cut stock springs on 100k mile stock DeCarbon shocks. It rides just as well as any of the stock springs combos did with really good shocks, and I have some Bilsteins ready to go on so that it'll be a bit more controlled and handle better.

If you don't torch them and actually cut them correctly the spring rate goes up a little, but not much, so the ride should and will remain the same. The only thing that changes is your suspension travel which decreases since the car is lowered. Now if you reach the limits of that suspension travel it'll be more harsh, but reaching the limits of the stock suspension travel is rare.

What I think is funny is that a ton of people swap in QA1 shocks and love them for daily driving/drag duty, they wrench the coilovers down for a lower ride height, and cut stock springs actually retain more spring rate than the 275# QA1 springs with the same loss of suspension travel.

So as you can see, after dropping in excess of $2500 in springs/shocks over the years, I'm MORE than happy to be riding on cut stock springs. I've got a better stance than I've ever had for daily driving (low enough to look good without being so low that it's a problem getting around), it's got as good of a ride as I've ever had as far as comfort goes, good weight transfer, and handling isn't too horrible either (no worse than stock).

did u do it all ur self on cutting them i mena i got the torchs but since it has to be cut and torched rite i pro wont do it my self cuz i dont want bad shocks lol well dont want it to change the way it rides alot
Old 11-16-2009, 07:44 AM

Torch = bad.

I've always done all my suspension work myself. Cutting the springs was cake. I just used an electric die grinder with a 5" cutoff wheel. I'd maybe use a slightly smaller wheel next time but aside from that it got through the springs like butter without heating them up (heat on springs is how people screw them up and get a bouncy ride).
Old 11-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Teching In

How much did you cut off of each coil? I just put my 19" RPM 505's on my Trans Am and definitely need to lower it after seeing your car. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quasar Z
How much did you cut off of each coil? I just put my 19" RPM 505's on my Trans Am and definitely need to lower it after seeing your car. Thanks for the help.
Can we see some pics??
Old 11-16-2009, 01:44 PM

1.25 coils off each spring up front, and 1.5 coils off each rear spring (and left the rubber isolator in when I reinstalled them). That's what you see in the pictures. I think I'm going to go in and trim the rubber isolator about 1/4" because I think the back sits every so slightly high.