Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

beware if you run the new 18" Mickey Thompson drag radials

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leedogg
There ya go- Many companies don't warrantee/replace a product unless you bought the product originally.
Yeah.... many companies use this as an excuse. Good companies will stand by their product. I've seen nothing but bad experiences on this board from people who contacted MT about bad tires and there seem to be a lot of them lately. MT seems to have the attitude that once the tires are sold they aren't their problem anymore. Only a dealer may have better luck as they have better leverage and relationship with MT.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

at least someone feels the way i do.........original buy or not these tires failed. If i post the pics of the rips INSIDE the tires sidewall you might think otherwise
Old 11-17-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

pics???? ^^^^
Old 11-17-2009, 05:59 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd go back and talk to the guy you bought them from and see if he can help you out. Maybe if he makes a phone call for you, with his purchase info, they can get him to send them back. Hell, even throw him a couple bucks for helping you out.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take it you purchased used tires that were previously mounted & you then re-mounted them on your wheels.

Generally when the cords break it is from some form of abuse such as running on a flat, curb damage, or possible excess distortion when mounting/dismounting.

Rubber separation can be a manufacturing defect, whereas broken cords on a low mileage car tire more likely some form of damage.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow i would think that even if your not the original buyer with such low miles on the tires and them just falling apart some one would help. I've been looking into some new drag radials and i think i'll be going with the new Hoosier design.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
I take it you purchased used tires that were previously mounted & you then re-mounted them on your wheels.

Generally when the cords break it is from some form of abuse such as running on a flat, curb damage, or possible excess distortion when mounting/dismounting.

Rubber separation can be a manufacturing defect, whereas broken cords on a low mileage car tire more likely some form of damage.
^^^^Exactly. Especially happening to both tires.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

i am meticulous when it comes to my wheels, so i watch them being mounted. Im also aware of 4 or 5 sets that have separated in the sidewall. you would hae to beat a tire silly for that to break. launching on them is way worse than...mouting them wrong
Old 11-19-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i disagree. ive seem some hole in the wall tire shops dismounting a rim with a screw driver because they couldnt find the pry bar. in fact if your sidewall is all scratched up inside the tire thats most likely what happened
Old 11-19-2009, 10:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be more concerned about the removal of the tires from the old wheels, not the installation of the tires on your wheels. Most damage comes from removal, instead of installation.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

good thing you cought it when you did... i would try and get in contact with the person you bought them from and see if he can return them and all that... atleast your not sayin these tires are unsafe to drive on and mt needs to re-thinkn the integrity of their tire like the sumitumo guy... lol GL
Old 11-20-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
good thing you cought it when you did... i would try and get in contact with the person you bought them from and see if he can return them and all that... atleast your not sayin these tires are unsafe to drive on and mt needs to re-thinkn the integrity of their tire like the sumitumo guy... lol GL
i did find the guy.....I PMed him on CF........just waiting to hear from him
Old 11-22-2009, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
i did find the guy.....I PMed him on CF........just waiting to hear from him
well i hope for the money you spent that he can get a new set for you since he was the original buyer.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:01 AM
Launching!

I would be more concerned about the removal of the tires from the old wheels, not the installation of the tires on your wheels. Most damage comes from removal, instead of installation.
i agree, also did u notice this right away after u had these installed or did u drive on these for a while then noticed this?? maybe they were damaged from the original seller who u bought them from...even if they have excellent tread or like new they are still used tires no matter what u dont know what the previous owner did or how low he ran these..

if lets say only one of them turned out like that this story could go another way but for both of them to be like this?? seems like the damage was done before u got them. again u bought em used no matter how much tread is on them, maybe he sold em cuz he knew they were bad?? it be shitty if he did but ur never going to know.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Damm that really sucks!! I would be pissed!!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Banned

hope u get the problem resolved
Old 11-22-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

That just sucks. . . . .
Old 11-22-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

ouch.... ill stick with nitto 555r's
Old 11-22-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes could be from the demoval of the tires from the old wheels they were on the removal of them can be harsh on the side wall while breaking the bead to seperate from the wheel tire shops use a hydrolic wedge type design thats curved and compresses the tire inwards. could have damaged the tire that way i would bet. i work at a tire place and do this stuff all day.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

just got a PM from another member with the same problem....

I just bought another set NEW, just to see if this happens again. If it does, there needs to be a recall and every cent paid back, or I will be taking legal action

Quick Reply: beware if you run the new 18" Mickey Thompson drag radials