Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Polishing Stock Rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 10:59 PM
dug
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Polishing Stock Rims

Im thinkin about polishing the stock silver 16" 10 spokes on the camaro. Anyone ever do this? How do you do it and how hard is it?
Old 12-20-2003, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dunno if this is the kind of "polishing" you are looking for but i use a very very fine grade steel wool. Just buffs out imperfections and gets any brake dust or dirt that might be caked on off.

to get them shiny polishing itself is kinda pointless in my opinion it takes a while (if you get a polishing kit) and you gotta do it again in short time. just get a container of those armourall wipes, use the cleaning wipes to clean off the wheel and dry it with a terry cloth, then u know that black magic stuff, the stuff that makes the tires look wet when you spray it on...(i can't remember what its called exactly....brain fart) spray that stuff on the tires and the wheels themselves, use a terry towel to sorta work in that stuff and wipe it clean. brake dust doesnt stick to the wheel, by weeks end you can just wipe off any dust and grime with a cloth, stays for about a month usually for me. and it makes the wheels look good.

hopefully that is of some help, that is what i do. keeps em looking great
Old 12-20-2003, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think he is referring to stripping the paint and polishing the aluminum underneath....I believe..

John
Old 12-22-2003, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

I wouldn't do it. Then they'll look like some dull and gross looking chrome ones.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

DO NOT DO IT!! I got some 03 anniv y2k style vette rims (champagne colored) and the primer is so tough that I had to have them plastic media blasted. Forget hand sanding, took me 5 hours with the right tools for one rim. The guy quoted me $60 and when I came for pickup he said that the next time it would be $265 for the hourly shop rate. It took them 4 hours for three rims. You cant sandblast these either. You would have a 20 grit finish, aluminum is too soft.

I tried to polish them but they had to much magnesium in them. Which makes them look them look even more milky than a normal alum polished piece.

I ended up going gloss black and regret that too (can't keep them clean). Have them chromed or leave them alone would be your best bet.