Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

400 bucks.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 400 bucks.

That's all I got to spend on this particular venture. The car is a 1998 Trans Am M6 with multiple issues, and I'm doing a buncha stuff at once. It has the stock 16 inch rims on it, and the rims themselves are in fine condition, but the tires are about shot.

I'm much more for performance for dollar, visual comes last with me. I do feel that the car looks better with a 17-18 inch rim on it though.

I need tires, but I'd love a performance upgrade of some kind if I can get it. And I can't quite tell if I would really benefit from a change in rims, or just well researched tires on the size of rims that I have on the car.

Right now it's all stock, and I'm aiming to get the car into the 450 hp range eventually. It's basically 100% street driven, although it is worth noting that my streets are bumpy as I live in central ma. I'm needing about a year or two of life from this purchase, and in general I'm looking for the best summer performance, corner carving for lack of a better description.

So.....what would you guys do?

Either:

A. Look for a set of used rims, 17 inch would probably be the diameter I want, and maybe a little wider, that have tires already mounted on them in at least halfway decent shape.

Or:

B. Go get a set of tires to fit the bone stock wheels that are on the car now, and make them the best I can fit on that size.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I choose b.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

Two things. Not going to get much for rims for 400. secondly, not going to much for tires for 400, unless its just the rears.

C: save your money for some nice wheels and tires.

Just my opinion, my friend.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

I do agree that I wouldn't get MUCH for rims. WS6 rims and maybe TTII's are the only things I see in the for sale section that are ever even in my price range. Well, maybe the odd set of ZR1's or something. If those aren't really gonna give me any better tire options/driving results, I'll just get awesome tires for the rims on there and be done with it.

To illustrate the scenario, the car is all stock at the moment - I've only done an intake. Just to hit the big ticket items, I still need to do clutch (slipping), trans (grinding), rear (worn looking axle) and various other odds and ends. Engine runs strong and body has no major issues, I got the car for a pretty good deal, and the interior has it's fair share of problems. The car is half DD half toy. But my tires are starting to show steel belts, and that's the thing about it that scares me the most.

Even tires with 50% tread would be an improvement, which is where I got the crazy idea!

I think my lack of understanding comes from this: At what point do factory sized 16 inch rims become a serious weak link to the car's performance, provided that one was using good tires on them to begin with? Are the WS6 rims actually better in terms of handling?
Old 03-20-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by acslam
I do agree that I wouldn't get MUCH for rims. WS6 rims and maybe TTII's are the only things I see in the for sale section that are ever even in my price range. Well, maybe the odd set of ZR1's or something. If those aren't really gonna give me any better tire options/driving results, I'll just get awesome tires for the rims on there and be done with it.

To illustrate the scenario, the car is all stock at the moment - I've only done an intake. Just to hit the big ticket items, I still need to do clutch (slipping), trans (grinding), rear (worn looking axle) and various other odds and ends. Engine runs strong and body has no major issues, I got the car for a pretty good deal, and the interior has it's fair share of problems. The car is half DD half toy. But my tires are starting to show steel belts, and that's the thing about it that scares me the most.

Even tires with 50% tread would be an improvement, which is where I got the crazy idea!

I think my lack of understanding comes from this: At what point do factory sized 16 inch rims become a serious weak link to the car's performance, provided that one was using good tires on them to begin with? Are the WS6 rims actually better in terms of handling?
Your 10 bolt is the weak link.
If your asking if bald 17 inch wheels are better for handling then 16in wheels with good tires then id say Going from a 16 inch to 17 inch isnt going do much, getting some better tires on them will make the biggest difference. Stick with the 16s for now, and get some better tires.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the stock wheels start to become the weak link when you want to put anything wider than 255 on them. going from a 16" to a larger wheel won't really do much of anything for the car except get rid of some of the sidewall of the tire, which is all about looks (and depending on the tire, may actually hurt the comfort of your ride).

given the amount of things that you need to do to the car, i'd just get a cheap set of tires that actually have some tread on them and put them on the stock wheels for now....you know, to keep you from hydroplaning and totaling the car when the humidity goes over about 50% or so....then work on fixing any other outstanding issues that you have with the car, like the clutch, trans, etc.

unless you can find a good deal on something that's just too good to pass up, there's not much point in upgrading other parts of the car until the rest of the car has at least been brought back to working condition.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

02z28 - Awesome info, thanks! I was definitely thinking more in terms of width than height - I realize 17 vs 16 isn't much, but I was under the impression that WS6 wheels were wider than the 16s I have.

So 255 is about the width limit huh? Good to know......now if only I could find some halfway decent tires that I can afford!!

Any suggestions on what would be at least a halfway decent tire of the max width that could fit on a stock 16 inch wheel?
Old 03-20-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

honestly, i would stay with the stock size tire so it doesn't throw off your speedometer.

Discount Tire Direct has several options in the 245/50R-16 size that are between $85.00 - $108.00 each......they're mostly All-Season tires, so they're probably not all that great, but they've got to be light-years ahead of the tires you've got on it now with the cords showing.

Discount Tire Direct
Old 03-20-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I would never buy stock sized tires. Waste of money IMO.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
I would never buy stock sized tires. Waste of money IMO.
if you're on bald tires with stock-sized wheels and only have $400 to spend, it's gonna be next to impossible to find a set of wider wheels AND a set of 4 tires with any tread left on them for that price.

not everyone can just go out and spend a grand or two for a new set of wheels and tires.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
if you're on bald tires with stock-sized wheels and only have $400 to spend, it's gonna be next to impossible to find a set of wider wheels AND a set of 4 tires with any tread left on them for that price.

not everyone can just go out and spend a grand or two for a new set of wheels and tires.
If he need tires, I've seen plenty of stock wheels with near new tires selling for ~$150. Hell, I've sold a set of stock 16inch 10spokes with 99% tread left for $125 not too long ago. Then he could sell his current wheels and only be out a few $, and have good tires. Theres deals out there. Spending ~$400 on tires for stock wheels just isn't a tempting idea to me.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

Hm. Never considered going this route, but purchasing another set of 16's just for the tires......I mean, if it can really be done for less than 200 bucks, hell, that's worth it!

I'm at a stock power level, and the truth is that I wouldn't be putting any serious power out with this car for a few years to come - if I got as far as intake/exhaust/tune/bilsteins in this year, I'd be thankful for my luck!

For some reason though I just can't get the idea of a nice set of those chrome WS6 rims outta my head. Those or TTII's!

Good opinions in this thread though, I appreciate the suggestions. Gives me some more stuff to think about. Gonna have to go scour the for sale section for a while!!

Search this Thread