Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Tire Pressure for Correct Wear on a wide tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tire Pressure for Correct Wear on a wide tire

Hey guys,
I am curious to know how much air pressure you put in your tires so that they wear correctly. I am sure that most folks on here know that too much air causes the center of the tire to wear quicker, and too little air will cause the outer parts of the tire tread to wear. I currently have my rears at 27-28 psi, and they seem to be wearing a little on the outside, and my fronts are somewhere around 34psi each (wearing fine). It seems that if I put 34 psi in the rears, they'll wear the center. I am running 275/40/zr17s and I would like to get the most out of my tires. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Tuffguy610; 03-19-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: .
Old 03-20-2010, 09:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I typically run approx 30 rear & they wear nice.

For straight line traction, they seen to work best with lower pressure (mid 20's). It is a tradeoff, depending on what you do most with the car. Remember to check the pressure cold, so tire heat does not offset your readings.

All you can do is experiment. This is easiest to do with a new set of tires.
Once worn, it is harder to do this.

Set pressure & drive about 20 miles. Start a little high on pressure & look at the wear marks on the tires. (dont expect to get even shoulder wear on the curved part of the tread) You can easily see (on new tires) what area is wearing. Drop pressure & look again. Once you see a good contact patch, you are close to optimum for even wear. Check it weekly over the next few weeks & see if you need to adjust. After you get it figured out on the first set, you can easily tell when they are worn out, how good you did. As weird as it sounds, my 3rd gen ended up at 38-40psi front & 30 rear.

Just keep in mind, this is not meant to compensate for bad alignment & do not over pressurize the tire in excess of the sidewall rated pressure.

Last edited by Lonnies Performance; 03-24-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! It doesn't sound far fetched that your thirdgen had nearly 40 psi in the front and 30 in the rear. These cars love to chew the edges on the fronts due to the way they are setup.