Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

wetsanding chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default wetsanding chrome?

My front wheels have had some pitting on them ever since i got them. it has never really bothered me because you cant see unless you sit down and look at the wheels. but i was curious if it was possible to lightly wetsand chrome or would you just sand through the down to the metal?
Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wetsanding chrome doesn't work, I'd say use some steel wool and rubbing compound to clean them best you can
Old 04-02-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do not use steel wool on chrome!!!

Use chrome polish and even still it might scratch the wheels very slightly.....

Are your wheels Chrome or aluminum?? polishing and wetsanding is for alum. only and thats if there is no clear coat on them. If so it will have to be stripped off.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jcurrieta
Do not use steel wool on chrome!!!

Use chrome polish and even still it might scratch the wheels very slightly.....

Are your wheels Chrome or aluminum?? polishing and wetsanding is for alum. only and thats if there is no clear coat on them. If so it will have to be stripped off.
they are the OEM c5z06 wheels. off the 50th aniv vette. i figured there would really be nothing i could do other then have then re-chromed unfortunately.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C5Z's never came with chrome wheels so if they really are oem wheels then they are polished aluminum and you can wetsand and re-polish them pretty easily. Good luck :thumbs:
Old 04-02-2010, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by '02TA
C5Z's never came with chrome wheels so if they really are oem wheels then they are polished aluminum and you can wetsand and re-polish them pretty easily. Good luck :thumbs:
okay cool. i was always under the impression that they were chromed. if you check my sig you can see them. they are the 17x9.5f and 18x10.5 rear.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by '02TA
Some folks sent stock C5Z wheels off to be chromed - and in the pics these appear to be some like I mentioned. Be careful unless you want to mess up a good set of wheels. Regardless, even if you can get the chrome off you'll have to polish out whats underneath - chrome looks good but is not fixable from rash or hard abrasions.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Photochop
Some folks sent stock C5Z wheels off to be chromed - and in the pics these appear to be some like I mentioned. Be careful unless you want to mess up a good set of wheels. Regardless, even if you can get the chrome off you'll have to polish out whats underneath - chrome looks good but is not fixable from rash or hard abrasions.
yeah i think they are chrome. but i was always told that the "chromed" wheels were actually chrome. not polished.

Quick Reply: wetsanding chrome?