Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

How do you get paint off chrome wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have any chrome wheels laying around to practice on, but I will try a little corner of the wheel with a few different applications of different ideas I have been given, and I will let everyone know what happens when I do apply these, and let everyone know what works and doesnt work for sure.

please keep the comments coming, appreciate the help!
Old 04-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

I'm having trouble understanding exactly whats going on here. Are the wheels painted or do they have overspray? If they're painted, chances are that they were scuffed/sanded prior to painting, meaning that your chrome surface underneath is probably not lusterous any longer. I'd suggest taking a fine scotch pad to the paint in addition to a scuffing compound (not to be confused with buffing/polishing compound, you can find it at most auto parts stores in the paint/body section). Keep scuffing off the paint until the chrome is revealed. Provided too much of the plating hasn't been removed, it may be salvageable, but unikely as chrome plating is rarely any thicker than a few thousanths of an inch.

If its just overspray, yes claybar will work. Just be sure to use a bit of soapy water when you clay bar it, that way the surface doesn't get scratched up by any impurities.

Good luck man.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

my bad on the never dull i thought you had some paint over spray and it was just a little paint on the chrome rims in that case use some brake parts cleaner it will dissolve spray paint and wont harm the chrome and polish with some never dull when all the paint is removed.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

dont use steel wool on chrome it will leave fine scratches on chrome!

Quick Reply: How do you get paint off chrome wheels?