Got my 17" Billet Specialties in...*Updated pics 5/24*

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Car looks good.

Originally Posted by 4SFEDZ
your rotors are backwards!
The direction of the slots does not effect anything. It would only matter if the inner vents were directional.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those look killer!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i always wondered whos car was that lol , I always post that pic lol , those wheels look nice man !
Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
Car looks good.

The direction of the slots does not effect anything. It would only matter if the inner vents were directional.
they are backwards
Old 05-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Customizing Director

Originally Posted by 4SFEDZ
they are backwards
Most factory size rotors for the F-body are non-direction rotors. Unless you know the specific brand of his rotors, you do not know if they are directional or not.

It is a popular misconception that drilling in a disc determine the direction of rotation. In truth, for an internally vented drilled disc, the geometry of the vanes dictates the direction of rotation.

There are three vane types in use:
  • Pillar vane (comprised of many small posts)
  • Straight
  • Curved vane
The first two vane types are non-directional, and can be used on either side of the vehicle. The curved vane disc, however, is directional. A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to the outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Orienting the disc in the manner creates a centrifugal pump.

Last edited by MadIceV8; 05-04-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

Where did you buy them?
Old 05-07-2010, 02:56 AM
Staging Lane

Most factory size rotors for the F-body are non-direction rotors. Unless you know the specific brand of his rotors, you do not know if they are directional or not.

It is a popular misconception that drilling in a disc determine the direction of rotation. In truth, for an internally vented drilled disc, the geometry of the vanes dictates the direction of rotation.

There are three vane types in use:
  • Pillar vane (comprised of many small posts)
  • Straight
  • Curved vane
The first two vane types are non-directional, and can be used on either side of the vehicle. The curved vane disc, however, is directional. A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to the outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Orienting the disc in the manner creates a centrifugal pump.

hey not to burst you bubble but the info you provided has nothing to do with slotted rotors. thats all about vented rotors the vents being in betwene the actual 2 rotor surfaces. slotted rotors are slotted on the surfaces of the rotor and are directional and those slots are designed to vent gasses outward. so yes the rotors are on backward and no its not a huge deal but the braking could be affected.

oh and might not be a good thing all the heat being directed to center of wheel
Old 05-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Customizing Director

Originally Posted by artic99z28
hey not to burst you bubble but the info you provided has nothing to do with slotted rotors. thats all about vented rotors the vents being in betwene the actual 2 rotor surfaces. slotted rotors are slotted on the surfaces of the rotor and are directional and those slots are designed to vent gasses outward. so yes the rotors are on backward and no its not a huge deal but the braking could be affected.

oh and might not be a good thing all the heat being directed to center of wheel
You still haven't busted my bubble as that is still not true in all cases. Drilling can refer to both slots and the drilled holes.

If you look at Bear vented rotors that at slotted, the direction on the slot's are opposite of the vents. Whereas some brands make it where the slots and vanes are in the same direction. And finally the direction on the slots does not matter if the rotors are non directional. I provided crude image's below that are both correct.

*If you or anyone would like to discuss this further send me a PM. Be prepared to disprove me with factual data, not just what you think.
Attached Thumbnails Got my 17" Billet Specialties in...*Updated pics 5/24*-backward-1.jpg   Got my 17" Billet Specialties in...*Updated pics 5/24*-forward-1.jpg  

Last edited by MadIceV8; 05-07-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MadIce do you know if the WS6store rotors are directional. I didnt even pay attention when putting them on. I guess it really doesnt matter does it?
Old 05-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

You still haven't busted my bubble as that is still not true in all cases. Drilling can refer to both slots and the drilled holes.

If you look at Bear vented rotors that at slotted, the direction on the slot's are opposite of the vents. Whereas some brands make it where the slots and vanes are in the same direction. And finally the direction on the slots does not matter if the rotors are non directional. I provided crude image's below that are both correct.

*If you or anyone would like to discuss this further send me a PM. Be prepared to disprove me with factual data, not just what you think.
relax man im not trying to offend you. im simply saying that typical slotted rotors (not talking anything about direction of drilling or internal vanes) are designed to vent hot gasses away from brakes and center of wheel no they do not have to go that way but that is how they are most effective.

NOT BEING A DICK JUST STATING WHAT I KNOW FROM MY EXPERIENCE IN SPECIALTY AFTERMARKET PARTS. and im dropping it.

but BTW the wheels look great LS1redZ ever think of personalizing them just a bit like paint the channel on the center of spokes to match your car or black to match emblems J/W
Old 05-08-2010, 03:06 AM
Customizing Director

LS1RedZ - I don't believe they are directional. When you get a chance just take a wheel off and look at the top of the rotor to see if the vanes are curved. If they are curved then they need to be installed in a certain direction. You can see the photo's I posted for reference.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any pic`s yet of the car with all four wheels mounted?
Old 05-16-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

back to topic...i wanna see this car with the wheels on it!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I went to put the wheels on but both of the front tires were going the same way. I had to bring the wheel back to Discount this morning for them to re-mount it. Pics will be up tomorrow or the next day if the weather stays nice! I'll snap some with the digital camera and then get one of my friends to take some GOOD pics. I ended up going with the M&H 325/45 Drag Radials for the rear! They look pretty good.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:12 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

I'd love to see pics, glad you like them.

Y'know one thing to consider when folks order wheels, some folks like the wheels to sit out, almost or completely flush with the outer body, and some like them to have a little tuck more like stock wheels. This point is something to consider if/when you order wheels from Billet Specialties. I think most of the guys on here like the wheels to sit out a bit, gives the car a more aggressive look. When I've ordered wheels I can move the backspacing around a lot. I am also looking forward to pics of Kevin's fronts when you gonna take pics man!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Customizing Director

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Y'know one thing to consider when folks order wheels, some folks like the wheels to sit out, almost or completely flush with the outer body, and some like them to have a little tuck more like stock wheels. This point is something to consider if/when you order wheels from Billet Specialties. I think most of the guys on here like the wheels to sit out a bit, gives the car a more aggressive look. When I've ordered wheels I can move the backspacing around a lot. I am also looking forward to pics of Kevin's fronts when you gonna take pics man!
I know I've been slacking! I've just been super swamped. Got about 80% of work done the week we met up and it's been on the lift since. Still need to take them to Sean to get powdered too .
Old 05-21-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Op, they look great
Old 05-21-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
I ended up getting the 17x7 and 17x11 setup. Saw this on a couple of cars and I really liked the setup and stance.

The car they are going on:

Should look pretty sweet once I get them on the car!
What are your plans for these rims?

John
Old 05-22-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

^ he sold those a long time ago bud!

Quick Reply: Got my 17" Billet Specialties in...*Updated pics 5/24*