Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default help!

alright, i'm thinking about getting a set of rims for my car. but when it comes to anything wheels and tires, i'm clueless. i'm looking at getting a set of black/machined face c6 z06 18x9.5/19x10 rims. so from my understanding, i believe the offset is a little different in the rear and i would need a spacer? so if someone could explain to me the offset on the car that would be great and also what size tires should i get?
Old 05-21-2010, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same exact problem....
Old 05-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this helps a little. I wrote this a while back when I got mine.

I first just want to start by saying I have been trolling the site for a month now gathering the information that i needed. So I thought it necessary to make this post to show off my rims and to try and detail everything I did for anyone who might need the information.

I have a 1997 Firehawk
Stock Wheel size was 17x9 with 50mm offset I believe.
Tire Size was 275/40/17

The tires I purchased were the OE Wheels
C6 ZO6 Deep Dish Rims
18x8.5 Front 46 mm offset I think......
19x10 Back 64 mm offset I think.....

The hard part was finding the proper tires for the rims. Now I'm a cheap Bastard so what I ended up getting was Nankang tires. With the different rims sizes I did not want to screw up my ABS.
So for the back I ended up getting 285/30/19. This equaled out to be the same diameter of the old tires so the speedo is almost dead on. Next was the front tire. I ended up getting a 255/35/18 which ended up being .8" less than the back which seems like an except-able range and the ABS is still happy.

Next up, the test fitting of the Rims. Fronts fit perfect, backs ehhhhhhh not so much. The backs needed a much longer stud, an inch to be exact. I ended up purchasing ARP studs from Jegs.
http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/100-7708/10002/-1
Im kind of glad I had to pick up the ARP studs because I was using a 1/4 " spacer(ebay) for the back as well and these studs are much much stronger.
when you remove the old studs, in order to get the new ones in you have to remove brake caliper, rotor and and bracket behind hub that holds the break caliper. Because the new studs are so much longer they are much harder to squeeze by that bracket, you just have to find the right angle and bang it in.

So here are the pics of the car. They are not the greatest, just trying to get pic before dark. Maybe next weekend I will take some better ones.

Later