Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Anyone know about Kumho Ecsta MX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone know about Kumho Ecsta MX?

I was getting my nitto NT555's put ont he front today, and found out the guy had a pair of 295/35/18 Kumho Ecsta MX with 90% or more tread left that I could use on my back wheels. The pirellis that were on there were so bald it was getting dangerous to drive, so I got the Kumhos for 60$ for the pair and had them put on.

Anyone use this tire? How good is it? Wet/dry traction? The tread is very aggressive looking but just seeing it doesn't mean squat about its performance. I don't trust the manufacturer claims since they will spout anything that sells a tire.

I tried to search it but it blocks out the "mx" since its too short
Old 05-21-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had good luck with Kumho tires. Here is the description as per TireRacks site;

"Kumho's family of Ecsta (x' ta) performance tires is designed to enhance every vehicle's capabilities. The Ecsta MX (KU15) member of the family is Kumho's Extreme Performance tire developed for the drivers of sports cars, performance sedans and sporty coupes. The Ecsta MX is designed to deliver Kumho's ultimate level of dry road performance while maintaining good wet traction. The Ecsta MX is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

The Ecsta MX molds Kumho's advanced silica tread rubber compound into a directional tread pattern that features massive, stable blocks to increase cornering traction and steering response, while four large, circumferential and multiple directionally aligned lateral grooves resist hydroplaning and enhance wet traction. The tire's structure includes two wide steel belts that are reinforced by spirally wound nylon to provide excellent strength, uniform ride quality, and high-speed capability while the sidewalls are tuned to resist lateral deflection and to provide handling control and positive feedback."
Old 05-22-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I read all that. I found out the skinny on them at the track tonight when I couldn't cut lower than a 2.5 60' with them. They have all the traction of grease paper on my pretty much stock car. Oh well, they are nice street tires!
Old 05-22-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a set of MX's all around, 275/40/17. At the time they reviewed very well, comparable to the BFG g-force KD but with a softer side wall. I have a few 1.97 60ft's on these tires with a stick...not bad considering the best with ET Streets was a 1.83. They handle great on the street and look good. They were not labled as a "drag" tire just a "summer" performance tire.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep they are great on the road. I like them a lot for the price I got them at. Now I'm just trying to figure out my front tires, I got 285/40/18 NT555's and they rub on the inside of the fender when I turn, they are too tall.