Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Considering widening wheels. . . .Need input?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Considering widening wheels. . . .Need input?

Im thinking about purchasing a cheap set of 17x9 rims with an offset of 35 mm. I want to widen the rears to 17x11. now i read somewhere that this would make the offset of the rear rims a 60 mm. Is this correct?

I know I have to run an adapter to balance this offset. How do i know which adapter so that the wheels sit flush with the fender??
Old 05-25-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone??
Old 05-26-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

nobody knows??
Old 05-26-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow, nobody knows.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heres mine: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...pics-here.html

As for knowing how big of a spacer youll need, once you have the wheels widened, just measure the wheel, decide where you need the wheel to sit, and order some spacers or adapters. I have the 00 WS.6 wheels 11" wide, with a 1" adapter.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

so i asked weldscraft about widening wheel and the offset change and this was their reply: Best way to look at it is the back space will grow by the same amount ... the 2 inches.
The distance from the hub mount surface forward will not change.

im sure i can get the 17x11 rim with 315 tire to fit, but my main concern is the wheel sticking out way too much from the fender when i add the spacer. anybody have any input on this?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yahelou
now i read somewhere that this would make the offset of the rear rims a 60 mm. Is this correct?
This is correct. Increasing the width of the wheel by 2 inches will push the centerline back by half that amount, or 1 inch. This increases the offset by the same amount. 1" = 25.4mm. So your original 35mm offset gets increased by an additional 25.4mm to ~60mm.

Camaros ideally want a 50mm offset on an 11" for easiest fitment on the rear. So you'll want a 10mm spacer to get your offset where you want it.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jRaskell
This is correct. Increasing the width of the wheel by 2 inches will push the centerline back by half that amount, or 1 inch. This increases the offset by the same amount. 1" = 25.4mm. So your original 35mm offset gets increased by an additional 25.4mm to ~60mm.

Camaros ideally want a 50mm offset on an 11" for easiest fitment on the rear. So you'll want a 10mm spacer to get your offset where you want it.
awesome. so i want the wheel sitting flush with the fender, not too far in and not too far out. would the 50mm offset achieve that?
Old 06-01-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Which wheels do you plan to widen? I'm guessing it's a particular 17 x 9 wheel that isn't mass produced in a 17 x 11" version (like the SS 10-spokes)? Otherwise, it would likely be cheaper to purchase the 17 x 11" wheels from OE Wheels or another sponsor.

I LOVE the SS 10 spokes however after reviewing the expenses involved in widening them into 11" rears, it was cheaper just to buy a set of 4 C6 wheels with an 18" x 11" in the rear.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

the rims are the gunmetal xxr 962 rims. they would look great with the maroon color of my car.

i spoke to another rim shop yesterday and he told me to not worry about offset as much as being concerned with backspacing and frontspacing of the rim. he said the frontspacing would remain the same while the backspacing would increase by the amount being widened, so the 2 inches, which makes complete sense. the rim will sit the same within the fender, even after widening. the backspacing will change.

now i guess my question is, how does a 35 mm offset rim sit within the fender? and what is the max backspace rim i can fit with our cars?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i spoke to another rim shop yesterday and he told me to not worry about offset as much as being concerned with backspacing and frontspacing of the rim. he said the frontspacing would remain the same while the backspacing would increase by the amount being widened, so the 2 inches, which makes complete sense. the rim will sit the same within the fender, even after widening. the backspacing will change.
That's not entirely correct. GM didn't really design our cars to fit an 11" wheel. There just isn't enough fender well under there to add another 2" of backspcaing, so you have to adjust your offset to add some of that additional width to the frontspacing and some of it to the backspacing.

An 11" wheel with 60mm offset is more than likely going to hit the inner fender and just not be usable. Even with a 50mm offset you're possibly going to have to massage the inner fender to eliminate rubbing, depending on what size tire you run. You're also possibly going to have to roll the outer fender lip to eliminate rubbing there as well.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, so i called the manufacturers of the rim and they said the backspacing on the rim is a 6.5 inch, no frontspacing. If i get them widen, that backspacing will change to a 8.5 inch. will a 8.5 backspacing still fit even with spacers and not stick out too much from the fender?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Teching In

I'm running around on a pair of 962's in 17x9 on the back of my Camaro with 275/40's on them. You may not be able to run any kind of spacer, I have to adjust my panhard bar because the passenger side rubs whenever someone is in the car with me. The lips aren't rolled. They are some spares I had laying around with new tires so I popped them on until I get new wheels (the same thing in 18's lol). I can take some pics tonight if you like.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jRaskell
That's not entirely correct. GM didn't really design our cars to fit an 11" wheel. There just isn't enough fender well under there to add another 2" of backspcaing, so you have to adjust your offset to add some of that additional width to the frontspacing and some of it to the backspacing.

An 11" wheel with 60mm offset is more than likely going to hit the inner fender and just not be usable. Even with a 50mm offset you're possibly going to have to massage the inner fender to eliminate rubbing, depending on what size tire you run. You're also possibly going to have to roll the outer fender lip to eliminate rubbing there as well.
i completely understand what ur saying about getting the rim to fit. but here is what i dont understand. even after the rim has been widened, it will still be sitting at the same location as it was before the rim was widened. how would the offset change tho and wouldnt it be misleading?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Teching In

i completely understand what ur saying about getting the rim to fit. but here is what i dont understand. even after the rim has been widened, it will still be sitting at the same location as it was before the rim was widened. how would the offset change tho and wouldnt it be misleading?
The offset changes because it is measured from the wheel centerline, widening the wheel on just one side changes offset.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aaron_L
I'm running around on a pair of 962's in 17x9 on the back of my Camaro with 275/40's on them. You may not be able to run any kind of spacer, I have to adjust my panhard bar because the passenger side rubs whenever someone is in the car with me. The lips aren't rolled. They are some spares I had laying around with new tires so I popped them on until I get new wheels (the same thing in 18's lol). I can take some pics tonight if you like.
yes please if u could get pics that would be great. so how do the rims sit compared to the fender? i figured i couldnt run a spacer cuz of the 35 mm offset. do u think it is still possible to widen them at all? how much space is there from the end of the rim to the inner fender?
Old 06-02-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aaron_L
The offset changes because it is measured from the wheel centerline, widening the wheel on just one side changes offset.
yea i understand that. but i guess in this case, taking into account backspacing is probably more important then the new offset. correct??
Old 06-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Backspacing & offset are basically two different methods of establishing where the mounting surface is in relation to the wheel. In most cases if you change one, the other will also change. I'll take some pics when I get home this evening.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Teching In

As promised, here are some pics. My car is a 1998 Z/28, there are no spring isolators with stock springs. The wheels are the 17x9's +35 like you are looking to buy with 275/40-17 Sumitomos on them. Sorry for the dirty car pics, I was driving it in the rain over the weekend.

Passenger side:

You can see where the tire has rubbed.

Under car front of the wheel:

Under car behind the wheel:

Another passenger rear shot:

Drivers rear, I need to finish making the center caps, I don't like the factory ones. My driveway is kind of funky, so this side looks higher.

I took these pics without jacking the car up, I can get better shots but not until this weekend. If you need something else, let me know.

Aaron
Old 06-02-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^thanks so much man. i really appreciate that. My car is lowered about 1.5 inches, i can see it running into alot of problems. there is a lil room so it may be possible to widen the rims. but it would take alot of work and prob have to cut bump stops and a lot of work on the inner fenders. i really cant tell im sure i cant use spacers, if i did it would look horrible.

anyone have any input about widening these rims? can u tell anything by lookin at the pics?

Quick Reply: Considering widening wheels. . . .Need input?