Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Bogarts with minimal street use???

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Bogarts with minimal street use???

ok so ive been in the market for a track setup... came across some local bolted rt's these are the strip version not the street strip. the car is a street driven car and i have a set of zr1s i roll around on most of the time. this will be a track only setup. i do however drive the car to the track 99% of the time. the tracks vary but they are around 45 minutes away on average. so im asking what are my chances of bending or breaking a wheel?

sjm feel free to chime in, ive read through some threads about this type of thing but didnt see anyone that was going to use them like i intend.

thanks
Old 06-09-2010, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty good chance. I once drove my car to my girlfriends on my 17" Alumastars (45 minute drive on the highway) and was on pins and needles the whole way.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaro396
Pretty good chance. I once drove my car to my girlfriends on my 17" Alumastars (45 minute drive on the highway) and was on pins and needles the whole way.

did anything happen to them? did you get rid of the camaro?
Old 06-10-2010, 09:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CaMaRo67RS355
did anything happen to them? did you get rid of the camaro?
Nothing happened, other than them getting really hot. But it was definatly something I was nervous about the whole way. And yes, I did sell it.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

By the way, I'm not sure if you've seen the new Weld RTS wheels, but they're an SFI approved streetable drag wheel that sell for much cheaper than the bolted 3pc RT wheels.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:56 PM
10 Second Club

I have bogart d10s on mine and thats just about how I use mine. My strip is about a 1/2 hour away and I go to car shows that are about the same distance. I did break one the first time out this summer, but it was my fault, I had radials on the front with about 35pounds of air pressure( like I said my fault ) did,nt know,now I do. since then I went to mt 1573 frontrunners and in about 500 miles have,nt had any problems

Old 06-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Launching!

The F-body designed bolted versions are very durable. Actually you're chances are slim. In all of production runs in 16 years, we have 8 that I've counted who have cracked and F-body designed wheel. This is not a warranty of fitness for using the product against its design...I merely posting some stats for you to base your own opinion on.

We build them for each application where as different material thickness and different process is performed for the intended application. The alumastars which are very nice wheels are not build specific and are definitely a track-only wheel and will not be as durable as an F-body bolted RT wheel (drag style).

If you're purchasing them used, make sure they were built specifically for your car...I build them so many different ways for different applications. If you purchased a set that was built for a much lighter car or it was setup for maximum weight removal, it will not be as durable as the F-body configuration.

It depends on what you're after. Weight may be an important factor to you. For every pound heavier a wheel you choose is... its like adding 4lbs of static weight. So if you pick a wheel that is 16 lbs compared to a 10lb wheel, you've just increased your braking distances quite a bit, you've added about the equivalence of 48lbs to your car for those two wheels...and your suspension will react slower with increased un-sprung mass.

Good luck!