Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Front Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Front Tires?

Okay, this may be a really dumb question, but I've searched all afternoon and into the evening trying to find an answer and I've had no luck.

I'm looking to get a second set of wheels and tires for when I eventually get to take my 99 Firebird Formula with nearly Full Bolt-ons to the track.

I'm planning on purchasing a set of American Racing Wheels Torq Thrust M's 17x9 in the front and 17x10.5 in the rear. These will allow me to save my 17x9 Firehawk wheels with their Falken Ziex 275/40's for street use.

At my current power level, I believe some 315/35/R17 Nitto 555r Drag Radials at the rear will be sufficient at putting the power to the ground. I will most likely upgrade to either Toyo Proxes or Mickey Thompson DRs of the same size once I add an aftermarket set of heads & a cam, as well as beef up the rest of the drivetrain.

My question is, with a Drag Radial in the rear, what tire do most of you run in the front?

I am not willing to do skinnies. Obviously, because I chose a 9" wide front wheel.

I'm simply looking for the best 275/40/R17 Tire to go with up front to compliment the DR's in the rear.

Suggestions? Comments? Smartass remarks? All are welcome.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When running "normal" sized wheels on front, the Brand tire is somewhat irrelavant as far as 1/4 miles tracks, as long as they have good tread. Any Z rated tire or better will suffice. If you're like me, my tread patterns have match. lol so just pick a good, reasonably priced tire and you'll be good.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sumitomo HTR Z II

cheapest tire for that size has a good rating 'W' (168mph)
Old 06-14-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Originally Posted by YURVIEW
When running "normal" sized wheels on front, the Brand tire is somewhat irrelavant as far as 1/4 miles tracks, as long as they have good tread. Any Z rated tire or better will suffice. If you're like me, my tread patterns have match. lol so just pick a good, reasonably priced tire and you'll be good.
Exactly!! I don't want my car to look like I just threw on whatever I had laying around for tires. LOL

I guess, since I'm looking to go with the Nitto 555R's, I should look for a tire with a similar tread pattern.