Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Is this going to work

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this going to work

I have some 17" zr1's arriving tomorrow to replace these 16" rollers. However, I have a question with fitment. Currently the rear tires look like they sit off center. As you can see in the picture the gap between the front of the tire and body is larger than the gap of the rear of the tire and body. It's like this on both sides. Is this normal on these cars?, and will I have a problem fitting on the new larger 17" rims with 275's.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Is this going to work-dscf1600.jpg  
Old 06-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Oh and I forgot....my lower control arms are in the lowest hole on the relocation brackets, and the car is not lowered.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No, that's not normal.
IMO, remove the relocation brackets, something is clearly not right with them!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Rims will fit.
Do you have adjustable lower control arms? If you do, just adjust them. I would strongly suggest taking your car to a alignment shop if you have adjustable LCAs.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Teching In

No they are not adjustable. What can possibly be wrong? What does removing the relocation brackets have to do with it?
Old 06-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Teching In

It appears your relocation brackets have relocated your rear axle back a few inches. On F-body's, the rear wheel is supposed to be centered in the opening. (These aren't Impalas after all. Ha ha ha). The purpose of the relocation bracket is supposed to change the geometry of your LCA's to prevent wheel hop and increase traction. By the looks of the picture, something clearly isn't right.

The 17's will definitely fit your car. The SS's come stock with 17x9 wheels with 275 tires. Since all 4th gens are made the same body-wise you'll have no worries there. Just get that axle location checked out.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Teching In

OK, so i should move my control arms to the upper hole in the brackets? or remove the brackets completely?.....If I understand correctly, the Spohn and UMI performance website say that relocation brackets can be used with vehicles that are at stock height.

Oh, and the lower control arms are not adjustable. They are UMI tubular.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

If anything they should be closer in the front of the wheel well.
Do you have factory 10 bolt, or a 12 bolt or 9" rear?

PM sent.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Teching In

factory rear...pm sent
Old 06-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Teching In

I guess my question is will the new 17" with the 275 tire even fit?....At this point I guess Im going to have to remove the relocation bracket, although I dont know why I should need to do that.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Your 17 x 9.5's +56 offset wheels still should fit fine, and with being at stock height you shouldn't have any fender contact issues. As far as the LCA relocation brackets you shouldn't have to remove them, but there's clearly something not right with them.
I have LCA reloc. brackets on my car and I don't have any issues like that with mine, and you shouldn't either!
Here's how mine look mounted:
Old 06-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Here is mine. Kind of a crappy pic. I'm not if you can even tell anything from the angle and quality. Ill take a better pic when I get home.
Attached Thumbnails Is this going to work-relocbracket.jpg  
Old 06-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Ok havent had time to put the new wheels on yet because the cars been in the paint shop getting a few things done, but I cant stop worrying about this issue.

Ive been thinking....Could it be because my car is not lowered and I have the lower control arms on the bottom hole of the relocation bracket?

Here is a revised picture of what worries me. I double checked the control arms and relocation brackets before taking it to the paint shop and everything is installed just fine and it drives prefectly. Just dont know why its so off center.

Any other advise would be very much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Is this going to work-dscf1601.jpg  
Old 06-14-2010, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rv1890
Ok havent had time to put the new wheels on yet because the cars been in the paint shop getting a few things done, but I cant stop worrying about this issue.

Ive been thinking....Could it be because my car is not lowered and I have the lower control arms on the bottom hole of the relocation bracket?

Here is a revised picture of what worries me. I double checked the control arms and relocation brackets before taking it to the paint shop and everything is installed just fine and it drives prefectly. Just dont know why its so off center.

Any other advise would be very much appreciated.
The purpose of relocation brackets is to correct the angle of the Control-Arm when you drop the car. When UMI and Spohn advise it can be used on stock height cars, they assume you will use hole that keeps the Control-Arm at the correct straight angle.

I suggest going out and moving to the upper hole, and see if it fixes your problem. No more than 5 minutes of your time for what could be a simple fix.
Unless its raining there like it is here... ugh.