Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

good gripping front tires, but for DD

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

My point was, for me, the dry traction of a DOT radial with less than a 140 rating isn't worth the worry of using it in inclement weather required by a daily driver. When I left my last high speed autocross last October, two GS-D3's were absolutely, completely bald across the entire tread surface and the other two had maybe 1-2mm of tread depth. I put the 'good' tires on the front and the 'slicks' on the rear.

It rained on the 2hr drive home and I can tell you that was quite the experience. I couldn't accelerate at all in the rain. I passed a car in what was damp pavement and the motion of switching lanes made my rear end severely fishtail. I easily controlled it because of my autox experience but it was still unnerving. Soon thereafter I swapped tires between axles, and that was at least driveable... but the front end then plows real bad.

Not having direct experience with the NT555 or the Proxes 4, other reviews would seem to indicate the Proxes 4 is a better performance tire. It doesn't seem like there is an overwhelming choice in that particular tire size.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am torn between the Escta XS and Proxes R1R, but my car is strictly weekend/fair weather.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
I am torn between the Escta XS and Proxes R1R, but my car is strictly weekend/fair weather.
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...-tires-part-1/
Old 08-18-2010, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
My point was, for me, the dry traction of a DOT radial with less than a 140 rating isn't worth the worry of using it in inclement weather required by a daily driver. When I left my last high speed autocross last October, two GS-D3's were absolutely, completely bald across the entire tread surface and the other two had maybe 1-2mm of tread depth. I put the 'good' tires on the front and the 'slicks' on the rear.

It rained on the 2hr drive home and I can tell you that was quite the experience. I couldn't accelerate at all in the rain. I passed a car in what was damp pavement and the motion of switching lanes made my rear end severely fishtail. I easily controlled it because of my autox experience but it was still unnerving. Soon thereafter I swapped tires between axles, and that was at least driveable... but the front end then plows real bad.

Not having direct experience with the NT555 or the Proxes 4, other reviews would seem to indicate the Proxes 4 is a better performance tire. It doesn't seem like there is an overwhelming choice in that particular tire size.
I used Nitto 555rs in the rain and they did very well...
Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyhow I ordered the Proxes 4, because they are a decent tire (for all weather) and still are suposedly significantly better (performance wise) than the Kumhos I have in teh front. lastly because they are cheaper than my other choice.

Worst case scenario, if they are absolutely terrible, I will take them back to my buddys shop and tell him.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks a lot. Very informative. I wonder how the shorter sidewall, wider section, and heavier vehicle of a 4th gen woud effect the tires.