Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

How many mounts/dismounts can a tire handle before damage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many mounts/dismounts can a tire handle before damage?

I'm asking because if a dilemma I find myself in currently. I'll soon have a set of winter tires for my car, but winter wheels are few and far between. Truth be told, my current wheels will be the winter wheels once I have the money to buy a different set of wheels for the summer months. In the interim until I have a second set of wheels, is it that bad for a tire to be mounted and dismounted a couple times? Is there a rule of thumb that a tire can handle "X" number of mounts and dismounts? Or, besides the cost of taking off and putting them on, is there no real issue with mounting and dismounting a tire a number of times?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Really depends on the tire. I've had a couple motorcycle tires that the bead ripped on dismount and some that look like they were never mounted, may be diff for car tires but its hard to say.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:42 AM
Launching!

Wes, I don't believe you'll find someone with a solid answer. If the tire is not dry rotted and the installer is careful, you'll probably be ok. On the other hand, I've seen tires beads damaged even with they were less than a 6 months old.

I'd personally save the expense of dismount/mount/dismount/mount (and balancing too) and just change to the winter tires and purchase your new wheels before you need to change to your summer tires.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:13 AM
Launching!

I have run a tire shop for the last ten years, it's about quality not quanity of mount/dismounts. A poor installer can damage the beads the first time, that being said the lower the profile is the more likely they are to be damaged.

Bottom line use a good installer and you should have no problems.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I mount by own tires by hand and dismount with a tire machine, my set of drag radials on my Camaro I had probably mounted and dismounted on about 5 different sets of wheels, and never had an issue.