Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Polishing up curb rash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Polishing up curb rash?

My two week old HRE's I scraped the right front wheel along a curb. I've been paranoid about that happening, so I guess I was jinxed. Now, I have a five inch long rash on the lip. I can smooth it out okay with some fine sandpaper, but what is the best way to try and polish it up? I have a Dremel tool.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
My two week old HRE's I scraped the right front wheel along a curb. I've been paranoid about that happening, so I guess I was jinxed. Now, I have a five inch long rash on the lip. I can smooth it out okay with some fine sandpaper, but what is the best way to try and polish it up? I have a Dremel tool.
it just depends on what lip you have and how bad it is. if it is really deep and is the old style lip (not reverse mount) then start of with a file then around 400 grit and work your way up from there to around 1500 or so, then at the very end you can uses a polish like extreme in order to get the shine. it takes practice though. if the wheels are their new smooth lip (reverse mount) wheel then it's going to take some skill. you can always send them back to HRE and have them put a new outside hoop or lip on it.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:09 AM
TECH Addict

Once you have it sanded smooth, then use some strong polish like artisans metal polish, followed by regular metal polish and will return to the the original lustre.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the replies. Should I use the polish with a buffing wheel on the dremel? Or just by hand? I don't want to screw up a $900 wheel lol.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you do use either at a LOW speed other wise you will "burn" the wheel.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
be careful from now on man. i know those curbs suck, just watch out for them, and if you are trying to make it through a narrow way and you aren't sure if you are going to scrape or not, it's better to be safe and avoid
Old 02-12-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

www.fixrim.com

24hr turnaround, and I hear they do excellent work.