Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

anyone driving in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my z in the snow here in cincy and have had no problems so far, but we also haven't had more than five inches yet. I have 150 lb of salt under the subs in the back and all season tires
Old 01-29-2011, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess if you have no room for another car or absolutely need to then go ahead with winter tires. I still say a beater is the way to go and you can get a decent car for under $1000, you just need to not care about looks. Go find a 90s honda civic or something for $800 with 200k on the clock. Put lowest insurance on it which will probably be like $30 a month as that is what I was paying on my 92 nissan 240sx. And you'll be good to go!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

You might not be able to buy a beater for the price of snow tires, especially considering the beater will need snow tires, too, but you can buy a decent beater for less than the cost of repairs to your TA from sliding off the road and into a tree. If you don't wreck, you didn't need a beater. If you do, it's too late to go get one.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturn5
You might not be able to buy a beater for the price of snow tires, especially considering the beater will need snow tires, too, but you can buy a decent beater for less than the cost of repairs to your TA from sliding off the road and into a tree. If you don't wreck, you didn't need a beater. If you do, it's too late to go get one.

Keep in mind, a beater doesn't have to be a "one shot" deal, if you have some storage, and choose wisely. I've had some beaters last me 2-3 winters...
Old 01-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah cars are cheap these days,I would much rather spend 1500 on a lil gas saver then have all that salt and junk cover my ss for a few months,I have been wanting to drive my car so bad,but its not even worth it untill the salt is gone and its dry out,I freaking hate ohio,they should call it O SUCK O
Old 01-30-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Keep in mind, a beater doesn't have to be a "one shot" deal, if you have some storage, and choose wisely. I've had some beaters last me 2-3 winters...
I have had the same beater for 5, and prior to that one for 3. Good runners, not pretty. They don't have to be though, in fact, the "beater" is my daily driver year round. The T/A never sees anything but sun.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any trouble going through the snow with Eagle GT A/S tires on my car. This is the 3rd winter driving on them, as long as the snow isn't too deep it takes off and stops well with the traction control and ABS.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Saturn5
I doubt many people are driving an LS1 F-body with only liability insurance...

Also, consider this: say you buy a beater for a grand, and only get liability on it. Then you slide off the road into a tree. Guess what, you're out a grand.

Driving RWD cars in snow isn't an impossible feat. The police drive their RWD cruisers in snow all the time. I also dismiss the notion that somehow an LS1 F-body is "above" driving in bad weather... sorry, but these are cars that can be had for 7 or 8 grand. As much as we love our F-bodies, they're not Ferraris.

BTW...

^ Yes, that's a C6 ZR1 driving in the SNOW!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:48 AM
11 Second Club

that zr1 guy is freakin crazy,i totally agree with FCCS,my car spins easily in just rain which is why i only drive it in warm sunny weather now.why is that?,cause i hydroplaned in the rain drivin 50 mph and hit a cement wall barrier,its safer to buy a 1000 beater or whatever you can afford,but i guess some have to drive in all climates.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
I doubt many people are driving an LS1 F-body with only liability insurance...

Also, consider this: say you buy a beater for a grand, and only get liability on it. Then you slide off the road into a tree. Guess what, you're out a grand.

Driving RWD cars in snow isn't an impossible feat. The police drive their RWD cruisers in snow all the time. I also dismiss the notion that somehow an LS1 F-body is "above" driving in bad weather... sorry, but these are cars that can be had for 7 or 8 grand. As much as we love our F-bodies, they're not Ferraris.

BTW...

^ Yes, that's a C6 ZR1 driving in the SNOW!
How much are you out if you slide your vette or f-body in to a tree?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

The cost of the insurance deductible....
Old 01-31-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
How much are you out if you slide your vette or f-body in to a tree?
Why does it matter what the car is? What about the person who buys a brand new Lexus and slides off the road?
Old 01-31-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

I drive mine in the snow all the time. Some of us don't have spare money around to get a second car. I just go slow and leave plenty of space between me and other cars. If people don't like that I'm going 25mph they can go around me I'm not wrapping my stuff around a tree lol.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

OK, since this discussion is getting a little crazy, let's look at it this way...A "beater" keeps your car out of the ROAD SALT, and THAT'S what's important!!

My Z-28 is 15 years old, and other than the normal deterioration of the paint on the urethane bumpers, it looks like it just came out of the showroom. If I want to mess around with the brakes, suspension, or anything else underneath, think I have to "fight" with it?? Think that would be the case if I drove it for the last 15 winters?? That alone, is worth the cost of a beater....
Old 01-31-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

You fail to realize that a lot of people can't afford to buy a beater and sink money into it all the time since they aren't reliable. Plus there's the cost of insurance, plates, city sticker and regular maintenance. Also most people don't have anywhere to park another vehicle, so it's totally out of the question.

I bought a nice car so I drive it year round. I wouldn't want to drive around in the cold of winter with a POS car that could leave me stranded and possibly freeze to death. My life is more important than the parts on my car rusting a little.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car still looks like new after 3 winters, and the same goes for every other car I've driven through the winter in the last 30 years. Our cars aren't collectors items, if I had a mint 60's era muscle car I'd park it for the winter. But since I don't I drive mine year round without any worries.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
You fail to realize that a lot of people can't afford to buy a beater and sink money into it all the time since they aren't reliable. Plus there's the cost of insurance, plates, city sticker and regular maintenance. Also most people don't have anywhere to park another vehicle, so it's totally out of the question.

I bought a nice car so I drive it year round. I wouldn't want to drive around in the cold of winter with a POS car that could leave me stranded and possibly freeze to death. My life is more important than the parts on my car rusting a little.
I don't fail to realize ANYTHING!! If you choose to subject your car to the abuse of road salt, and the possibility of being slid into, GOOD FOR YOU! I choose not to. That's what makes this country great, since everybody can do what works for them!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
OK, since this discussion is getting a little crazy, let's look at it this way...A "beater" keeps your car out of the ROAD SALT, and THAT'S what's important!!

My Z-28 is 15 years old, and other than the normal deterioration of the paint on the urethane bumpers, it looks like it just came out of the showroom. If I want to mess around with the brakes, suspension, or anything else underneath, think I have to "fight" with it?? Think that would be the case if I drove it for the last 15 winters?? That alone, is worth the cost of a beater....
I agree about the salt but ultimately you can't protect your car from EVERYTHING. What if you don't have a garage and it starts hailing? Should you not own an F-body until you have a garage?

Having a showroom perfect car is nice and all but some of us just want a fun car to drive everyday. I didn't buy my Camaro to let it sit in the driveway.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been driving nice cars through the winter for 30+ years and nobody has slid into me yet. I'm not saying it will never happen, but it can also happen on a wet or dry road too.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm stuck driving on goodyear eagle f-1's right. But when it gets bad i drive the parents van. Haha