Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

anyone driving in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont have any extra money for a winter beater at the moment so I'm forced to drive my Z in the snow. During the first few snows of the season I was on old stock goodyear all season tires that were showing some dry rot. Car drove terrible in the snow. Ordered some snow tires from General, made a world of difference. I only have about 50lbs in the trunk, and with the snow tires I'm pretty confident I wont have any issues the rest of winter. Except getting pissed about all the salt and crap getting on my car

Next year hopefully I'll be able to pick up a beater.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That guy in the ZR-1 is not a *****. Props.
What kind of tires did the ZR-1 come with from the factory? I wonder if those are the factory tires.

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
The cost of the insurance deductible....
Plus the increase in your premiums over the next three years.

FWIW 4th gen F-bodies are basically mass-produced Cavaliers with rear drive and 6 or 8 cylinders. They're not Maseratis and they won't be fetching big bucks at Barrett-Jackson in 20 years. Aside from a lack of snow traction due to being RWD (which can largely be corrected with the proper tires and some weight in the back) and not-so-great fuel economy, I don't see why an F-body can't be a good beater.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommyv8
.... I don't see why an F-body can't be a good beater.

Drive it through 4-5 winters worth of salt, and it will be....
Old 02-01-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people have no other choice but to drive their F-bod. Also, a 1k beater will not be the most reliable/safe thing to drive in the winter. I use blizzaks on all 4 corners and they are straight up amazing. You will get looks from people driving around in SUVs that's for sure.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven my t/a in the snow, my lightning has seen snow since 1993. the get around just fine through most snow. My awd eclipse on summer tires is wose than my t/a with all season tires. Last year was the first year I could not have my sports car in the snow. I had to retreat and get my mountaineer for ground clearance.

Storm started with

And ended up with

2 days later

t/a and the z were not going to move.

I got my car to drive they are not collectors items and are not worth much at all. Hell the mountaineer is worth more than my t/a.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think im gonna ride my cbr through this blizzard, if i get stuck i can always walk it.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
My car still looks like new after 3 winters, and the same goes for every other car I've driven through the winter in the last 30 years. Our cars aren't collectors items, if I had a mint 60's era muscle car I'd park it for the winter. But since I don't I drive mine year round without any worries.
lol.. Yea right. I dare you to compare the underbody of your car to the same car with same miles and age from the south. I can almost GAURANTEE yours won't shine like a car that has not seen salt. The old saying people don't realize is if you can't afford the gas for a car, you can't afford the car.. I kinda take that the same way as if you live in the north and get alot of snow, if you can't afford a backup car or a plan if your car wrecks cause you were stubborn enough to drive in snow.. then you shouldn't have the car. It's harsh but yea.

And for people who have beaters, know they are not expensive to maintain or buy.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fccs
lol.. Yea right. I dare you to compare the underbody of your car to the same car with same miles and age from the south. I can almost GAURANTEE yours won't shine like a car that has not seen salt. The old saying people don't realize is if you can't afford the gas for a car, you can't afford the car.. I kinda take that the same way as if you live in the north and get alot of snow, if you can't afford a backup car or a plan if your car wrecks cause you were stubborn enough to drive in snow.. then you shouldn't have the car. It's harsh but yea.

And for people who have beaters, know they are not expensive to maintain or buy.
So why are F-bodies unable to drive in snow...? Mine does fine in a few inches of the stuff, I've passed FWD cars in ditches and I have no issues, and I don't even have snow tires or added weight.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fccs

Who cares what the bottom of the car looks like, I only see it when I crawl under there to change the oil. I have never owned a 2nd car and I never will. If my car gets damaged that's why I have insurance and they'll give me rental. I grew up driving rear wheel drive cars without traction control or ABS, so it's easy to drive today's cars in the snow. So it's evident that you don't know what you're talking about.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
So why are F-bodies unable to drive in snow...? Mine does fine in a few inches of the stuff, I've passed FWD cars in ditches and I have no issues, and I don't even have snow tires or added weight.

It's not that you can't drive them in snow... yeah, their weight distribution, especially the V-8 cars, isn't ideal, but nothing that a couple of bags of sand in the trunk won't cure. And yes, snow tire technology has come a long way since '85, the last time I drove an F-bod in the snow. It's more a case, at least in my opinion, they are "enthusiast" cars, cars that get modded and enjoyed, and either working on, or spending money on a rust bucket, isn't a pleasant experience.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You COULD drive anything in the snow with good snow tires and weight. This is basically for ANY CAR. Compare your fbody to a fwd or awd car with the same tires and see how you fair. The point is, your taking a unnecessary chance of hurting your car, BESIDES the utter **** salt that's ruining everything.

If you wanna take that chance then go ahead, I'll stick to a beater and don't give a **** if I hit a tree or crash into **** with it. Even though I have full coverage on my trans am, I would still rather it not get damaged..
Old 02-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I DD mine in the winter, Blizzak WS60's mounted on salad shooters I picked up for $100.

Does better in the snow than my bro's '06 corolla with brand new all seasons.

No way I could have afforded to buy a beater this past fall to drive through the winter, and no way I was going to sell my car in order to avoid a little salt.