Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Original Goodyear F1's - 8 years old, still safe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Those Michelins cost me over $1400, including mounting and balancing, and so far, have about 5000 miles on them, over the last 4 years. Somehow or other, I can't wrap my head around replacing these tires in another 6 years, with probably 12-14,000 miles on them.
I'm in the same camp as you. 6 year replacement intervals are overkill for seldom used, garage stored cars IMO. I have a set of BFGs on my '98 Z28 that are from 2005, and at this point they only have 3k miles on them. They are 6 years old now, but I won't even think about replacing them for another 5-6 years, and I'll probably go even longer than that. I've owned several limited use cars with 10+ year old tires and no problems to speak of. I do realize that "there is always the first time", but frankly I have too many cars to be dumping tires every 6 years that still have good and soft tread.

There are some sources (certain auto manufacturers, retailers, etc.) that simply recommend 6 years under any condition, because there is less liability this way. However, if you read tech articles from tire manufactures, they usually don't give a specific/exact age requirement, but rather a range of 6-10 years depending on conditions.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel if you can afford to have a car that isn't driven much, you can afford to buy new tires even though they have plenty of tread left. Rubber seals also dry out over a period of time, so it's all part of maintaining an older car to keep it on the road.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
I feel if you can afford to have a car that isn't driven much, you can afford to buy new tires even though they have plenty of tread left.
Well, it's certainly your right to feel that way, and to replace tires on your garage queens as often as you like. If doing that every 6 years, regardless of conditions, makes you feel warm and fuzzy then by all means go for it.

I don't feel that replacement this often is required for my specific applications and my specific usages on some of my cars; I feel it would be wasteful and unnecessary. Others should make decisions for themselves based on their own experience, research, and factors specific to them.

Here is some info that supports how difficult it is to really nail down a specific point at which tires go "bad" in regards to age:

Originally Posted by BF Goodrich.com
The following recommendation applies to passenger car and light truck tires. Tires are composed of various types of material and rubber compounds, having performance properties essential to the proper functioning of the tire itself. These component properties evolve over time. For each tire, this evolution depends upon many factors such as weather, storage conditions, and conditions of use (load, speed, inflation pressure, maintenance etc.) to which the tire is subjected throughout its life. This service-related evolution varies widely so that accurately predicting the serviceable life of any specific tire in advance is not possible...

...It is impossible to predict when tires should be replaced based on their calendar age alone . However, the older a tire the greater the chance that it will need to be replaced due to the service-related evolution or other conditions found upon inspection or detected during use. While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be replaced with new tires as a simple precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even if they have not reached the legal wear limit. For tires that were on an original equipment vehicle (i.e., acquired by the consumer on a new vehicle), follow the vehicle manufacturer's tire replacement recommendations, when specified (but not to exceed 10 years).
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap...ps/tireuse.jsp

Originally Posted by Discount Tire Direct.com
- Tire Manufacturers Recommend Replacement at 10 Years
- Industry Experts Recommend Replacement at 10 Years

6 to 10 Years:
Replacement is recommended.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...foTireLife.jsp

Originally Posted by Tirerack.com
Our experience has been that when properly stored and cared for, most street tires have a useful life in service of between six to ten years. And while part of that time is spent as the tire travels from the manufacturing plant to the manufacturer's distribution center, to the retailer and to you, the remainder is the time it spends on your vehicle.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=138

Therefore every tire's life expectancy ultimately depends on the environment in which it operates and its individual service conditions. The difficult task remains how to attempt to quantify tire life based on calendar age. Arbitrarily replacing tires prematurely based simply on age may result in tires being discarded before their time, contributing to increased operating costs, as well as waste disposal and recycling concerns.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=183

Each one of those sources talks at length about how usable service life can vary depending on conditions, and that you can't really assign a specific age at which all tires become "dangerous". However, at 10 years they all recommend replacement. I agree that if you're running tires that are older than 10 years under any conditions, you are taking some level of risk (just how much risk is up for debate and apparently dependent on several factors). However, it seems that, under conditions that avoid severe exposure and/or poor maintenance, a 6 year replacement interval may in fact be overkill. I believe the 6 year rule is in place because that's an age where tires under the most severe conditions may begin to become unsafe. For liability reasons, it makes sense for retailers to market that number, but it doesn't mean that it's an absolute under all conditions.

This bit of info is also interesting:

The NHTSA tire aging field study also indicated a strong correlation of the speed rating with tire durability, with higher speed-rated tires losing the least capability with increasing calendar age. Drivers living in hot climates may want to consider purchasing higher speed rated tires than those that came as Original Equipment.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=183

So here we have additional evidence that points to how impossibile it is to establish a blanket expiration age for all tires. Not only do usage conditions have a great impact on age durability, but manufacturing specifications do as well. It seems that any age related recommended change intervals would likely be based on the lowest speed rated tires, again for ease of liability concerns for retailers.

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
it's all part of maintaining an older car to keep it on the road.
You just simply can't apply the exact same maintenance and/or care rules to a limited/specific use car as you can to a daily driver; some things will require more attention, and some things will require less.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 03-02-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'm in the same camp as you. 6 year replacement intervals are overkill for seldom used, garage stored cars IMO. I have a set of BFGs on my '98 Z28 that are from 2005, and at this point they only have 3k miles on them. They are 6 years old now, but I won't even think about replacing them for another 5-6 years, and I'll probably go even longer than that. I've owned several limited use cars with 10+ year old tires and no problems to speak of. I do realize that "there is always the first time", but frankly I have too many cars to be dumping tires every 6 years that still have good and soft tread.

There are some sources (certain auto manufacturers, retailers, etc.) that simply recommend 6 years under any condition, because there is less liability this way. However, if you read tech articles from tire manufactures, they usually don't give a specific/exact age requirement, but rather a range of 6-10 years depending on conditions.
I have to agree with you. I have a 1970 Z28 fully restored garage queen that I'll drive maybe 3 or 4 times a summer. Tires were put on in 1999. It logs on average 100 miles a year. Since 1999, I've put less than 1500 miles on the tires. When I do drive it, nothing too crazy, no smokey burnouts or anything like that.

The tires still look like brand new and still have a fresh rubber smell to them. The car is kept in a temperature/humidity controlled garage year round and sits on jackstands when not in use. I'm fully aware of the age of these tires going on 12 years, but cannot bring myself to replace them being in such good condition. I might consider it in another 5 years or so but I'm positive these tires are in better condition than the 3 year old tires on my daily driver that sits in the driveway year round.

Quick Reply: Original Goodyear F1's - 8 years old, still safe?