Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Center cap modification

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Center cap modification

I'm just curious, has anyone modified the center caps on say a set of C5 style wheels? I know alot of people dont like the corvette logos & besides black, plain is the only options on the market. Then your left with either buying a emblem to stick on a plain set or decal. And if you have the machined style wheels like OE sells your stuck with a chrome cap. Anyone came up with something to fix this & make it blend better?

Also has anyone tried cutting a hole in the center of a plain set & putting their WS6 center cap in there from the stock wheels? Lets do some brain storming since center caps options are so limited. I cant be the only one curious about this.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Found something kinda like wha I'm thinkin but not with the WS6 cap, does anyone know if the WS6 cap is the same size as the Corvette cap thats set in the center of these??

Also I wonder how close the silver cap pictured below would match a set of the Satin C5's instead of the chrome caps??

Old 03-08-2011, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking about this as well for my chrome C5 dd's. I like the look of the centers in those ZO6's. I'd like to know where I could get something like that made in a decal or vinyl. Good question about matching the machined wheels with the same looking cap. I'm sure lots of people who own these would be interested in finding an alternative.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

Really, only 2 of us have wondered about this? Hmmm, interesting, figured more people would also be in the same boat.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm, well the lack of responses/interest is kinda odd with the amount of people who always post how much they dislike the provided caps.

Has everyone just settled with the plain caps or black?
Old 03-09-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let's get to brain storming guys.

I can't stand the chrome in the center of the machined. I bought chrome 10 spoke center caps w/ "SS" in the center, but they're still chrome. I kinda want to paint the OEWheels chrome center caps a flat silver or anodized to see if that's close to the machined look. If nothing is close, I guess I would just have to leave the chrome...
Old 03-09-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

When I wanted some Chrome C5 DD I found plain chrome center caps on ebay. Other than that never thought about it.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

I hate my chrome c5 center caps

Im thinking of smoothing the corvette symbol and getting some SS decals like the zr1s have, then painting a flat silver or a silver with clear and then wetsand with something like 2500 to take the shine away.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I wanted SS decals in the center so I got the chrome 10 spoke SS center caps just thinking there's nothing I can do about the chrome since alloy isn't close either. If I can find a silver that is close I'd be happy. Just do a flat silver and have the "SS" all black.

OEWheels, if you're listening to your customers, you should consider coming out with a machine looking center cap. Everyone loves the wheels but the center caps stand out so much it takes away from the machined wheel. You make black ones and chrome ones, where's the love for the machined guys?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wagon wheels, i hated the stock five pointed cap, and i know the other c5's vary, but... found them on ebay, finally...

and yes i will probably do a black pontiac emblem to break up the chrome, maybe a bird but doubtful
Attached Thumbnails Center cap modification-sam_0118.jpg   Center cap modification-sam_0119.jpg  
Old 03-10-2011, 08:21 AM
12 Second Club

Yippee now we got some conversation.

I have never seen the caps I posted above, does anyone know if those circular caps in the center of the center cap itself pops out? If so I wonder if its the same size as the 17" WS6 center cap?

I'm sure emblempros could also make a round custom engraved emblem to fit perfectly over the one in the caps too if it doesnt pop out. That could be another idea & if their adhesive is good enough for other emblems they should be fine on wheels too.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've never seen those either. I still think that the flat silver may be our best option. I'm on spring break next week so I may buy a can and see if it matches even remotely close to the machined. Lol.

Think it'd be better to not clear it afterwards? Or clear it then mar it a little?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I always wanted a set of the machined C5's, but just couldn't see corvette emblem on a Camaro. That's why I am setting my sights on another set of rims. The spokesman from OE said that caps without a corvette emblem was not available. I never realized that a set of machined C5's came with a chrome center cap. I would of **** A BRICK if I ordered them and they came with a cap like that. I see no real options for a machined cap except to buy a ACTUAL cap from a corvette or have the chrome ones painted a dull silver.

Good luck fellas...
Old 03-10-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaRReLL
I always wanted a set of the machined C5's, but just couldn't see corvette emblem on a Camaro. That's why I am setting my sights on another set of rims. The spokesman from OE said that caps without a corvette emblem was not available. I never realized that a set of machined C5's came with a chrome center cap. I would of **** A BRICK if I ordered them and they came with a cap like that. I see no real options for a machined cap except to buy a ACTUAL cap from a corvette or have the chrome ones painted a dull silver.

Good luck fellas...
Yup, hate the corvette ones. That's why I bought the chrome 10 spoke SS center caps. But they're still chrome and stand out. I love the wheels, just hate the chrome center caps. So, looks like best option will be a dull silver. I'll test it out on my extra corvette logo cap I have this week and see what it looks like against the machined face. If it's close, I'll mask off the SS on the other center caps and spray those dull silver. Then paint the SS all black along with the inside of the cap where the lug would be, since on the wheels that area is black also. I'll get a rattle can and let you guys know how it goes next week sometime. I'll keep you posted. If it doesn't come close, I'm going to just pop the SS center caps in and say eff it! Lol.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

Cool let me know how it goes. I'm gonna look into these Corvette caps with the circular inserts in the center & see if I can find out if those are removable & if so are they the same size as the WS6 caps.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Cool let me know how it goes. I'm gonna look into these Corvette caps with the circular inserts in the center & see if I can find out if those are removable & if so are they the same size as the WS6 caps.
Sweet. I'll keep you all posted. Might do it this weekend even.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

After some quick ebay diggin I have discovered something to watch out for while tryin to source caps. There are differences in the years for the caps. There is a flatter version & one with slight dome look to it. I believe the flats are 2004 & previous & the dome are 205 & up.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Keep us posted egott_91, It just might change my wheel selection back to the C5 DD..
Old 03-10-2011, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Found something kinda like wha I'm thinkin but not with the WS6 cap, does anyone know if the WS6 cap is the same size as the Corvette cap thats set in the center of these??

Also I wonder how close the silver cap pictured below would match a set of the Satin C5's instead of the chrome caps??

Those look great!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, so I went to get the "dull" silver tonight at Advanced Auto and they didn't really have the greatest options to choose from.

I narrowed it down to two Duplicolor "perfect match" silvers.

It was between a silver off of a Ford or a silver off of a Subaru. Guess which it was? Yup, the Ford silver. Lol. I'm going to put it up against my wheels tomorrow and see if it's too bright. It almost seems like it is, but if I do a semi-gloss black base coat and lighter silver coats I think it may darken it some and look more like the machined. Idk though, we'll see.

Quick Reply: Center cap modification