Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Nittos are Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a helluva time getting Nitto to warranty mine. I put BFG's on a month ago and still don't have money for the Nitto's. Speed, Inc. was great and offered to sell me a new set at a GREAT price but I had to turn them down since I already had new tires.

I've been working with a distributor who's been helping me with Nitto. The center section of my tires is worn a lot worse than the outer parts where the cracks are. The distributor measured and said there's really no tread left in the center versus 4.5/32nds on the outer parts. I ran those tires at 25 psi too. Nitto said they wouldn't cover the tires since the center was worn so bad but I convinced them to measure the outside instead. They told me "for even wear, use the inflation pressure your car manufacturer recommends." Then I saw on the website Nitto recommends 30 psi. How in the hell is that gonna give me even wear? They make it damn near impossible to get warranty coverage.

Anyway, the distributor sent them the tires and I'm supposed to call Nitto on Friday to see about the refund. They told me at the beginnig of this process if the tread is within 25% of what it was new, I'd get a full refund. Since they agreed to measure the outer tread I should be getting just that.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Here's how it works. You drive around in circles until the cracks break, you sue nitto, you file against the place that sold/installed them, then you file complaints with the DOT.

Tires that threaten your life, oh boy, remember firestone, they use to sell tires lol.

Everyone from the install,shop, and tire manufacturer could be liable if the tires are not safe. These are DOT street approved tires, big time lawsuits if they fail and you were hurt or your car was damaged..

I hope nitto and their resellers are reading this. Fix/recall the bad tires like other do, before you get sued for several million.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

I just put nitto 555r's on my car today.... This is a good thread to read after putting them on.... Well hopefully i don't have problems with mine...
Old 05-03-2004, 02:42 AM
Staging Lane

Are these problems only w/ smaller tires? I.e. 16-18's. I have some 285/35/22 NT 555 Extremes on a 9.5" wheel. I've had em for over a year now and havent noticed anything like that. Im going to get new wheels and tires sometime in the near future and was thinkin about gettin the new 255/30/22 NT 555 Extremes w/ a narrower wheel.
Do u guys think I should get these or a different brand of tire?

Sorry for high jackin this thread.