Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

spline drive socket for rim lugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spline drive socket for rim lugs

I have a 98 formula i bought for parts. i want to take the rims(Boyd Cod.) off and put them on my 97 trans am. problem im having is is boyd rims all have a different lug than ive seen before. i was told they are spline drive lugs(dont know that this is correct). can anyone tell me how to get these off or were to get the drive for them. ive been to 3 different part stores and none of them have the key or even know what im talking about. Oreilly had a set of spline drive lugs with a key for $40 bucks but i was hopping i didnt have to buy another set, nor did i even know if there the same lugs. any help here would be great. thanks
Old 05-16-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

just drive it to a tire shop and have them remove the splined lug nuts. They have nothing to do with the type of rims you have, just the previous owner decided to used splined lugs. Just put a normal set of lug nuts on...
Old 05-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

thats gonna be a problem because i cant drive the formula. it has salvage title and blown motor. but i did find a key on ebay for $5 so ill prob just buy that.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Teching In

I have spline drives on my TA.. the socket is not a lock key so they are all the same....
McGard makes them but $5.00 seems like a deal if you can't get them off any other way.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

There are several makers of spline drive lugs, make sure that the number of splines is the same (some have 5 splines, some have 6, 7 or 8). Most of the lugs that come from Genuine Boyds came from Sportruck.com. Check them out for the correst socket.

Quick Reply: spline drive socket for rim lugs