Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

making center caps fit better

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default making center caps fit better

I have some used ZR1s and the center caps fit, just not very tight and I dont want to lose them going down the road. FWIW they're not the kind with the retainer ring, just the plastic tabs around the perimeter and over time, they've become loose.

I'm thinking a drop or two of silicone may work unless anyone has a better suggestion?

TIA
Old 06-05-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

something that will allow a tire shop to still take out the center cap to balance the wheel... i was just gona epoxy the ones on my eclipse then a shop pointed that out to me. duct tape!?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used a rubber hose about 1" outside diameter. Cut it into halfs, thirds or quarters and see if you can shove those between the clips and the outer edge of each cap. If you want post a pic of what your workin with and ill draw it out. The wheels I modded are long gone
Old 06-06-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ahhwataday
I used a rubber hose about 1" outside diameter. Cut it into halfs, thirds or quarters and see if you can shove those between the clips and the outer edge of each cap. If you want post a pic of what your workin with and ill draw it out. The wheels I modded are long gone
I think I understand what you're saying - the rubber is like a wedge that keeps the cap snug in the wheel. Sounds like it'll work... or I've even thought about wrapping some electrical tape around the clips
Old 06-06-2011, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

What about using a little double sided tape?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Electric tape can slide around and leave that black sticky **** in spots you dont want it. possibly even leak out onto the wheel. At higher rpm it will be like a slug leaving his trail all over your wheels... lol sum like that