Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

BFG KDW vs Michelins Pilot A/S

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFG KDW vs Michelins Pilot A/S

Time for some new rubber and pricewise have it narrowed down to two. I have BFG Super Sport A/S now. Was going to purchase the BGF T/A KDW but Coscto is running 70 bucks off Michelin pilot sport A/S plus through June and the Pilot Sport A/S is not much more than the KDWs with the 70 off. I live in Atlanta where snow is usually not an issue although this past winter we had a couple snowfalls and I found even with the A/S tires, it was useless and it sat for a week. I have a 2000 Z28 with 60k miles, daily driver, doesn't see the track. Looking for a tire that looks good and handles well on dry and wet pavement. I like the tread pattern of the KDW but the Michelin's have glowing reviews from what I have read. Not necessarily looking for another A/S tire but the price of the Michelins are right. Looking for opinions from those who have had these. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just went through this same dilemma this past week. I was considering the BFG KDW/NT vs the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Both have great reviews and both had their own drawbacks. The BFG's have been reported to be loud at highway speeds but the Michelin's are reported to not have very good tread wear. Both are considered very sticky. I ended up going with the BFG's due to the amount and distance I drive the car (not much) and price. I couldn't justify $400/tire for a once in a while driver. FYI BFG has a $50 off rebate for a set of 4 until the 11th.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KDW is a high performance summer tire. The A/S is an all season tire. They are not really comparable. Really depends on what you value. More grip, or the ability to at least finction in snow should it happen. I drove my car with Michelin XGT-Z4's in the snow, which were an A/S tire, it was doable but not enjoyable.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Michelin's on my 07 Acura and they are quiet, but seem to come out of balance quickly. They handle water very well and even with 20K miles on them, they still look brand new.

I'd put them on a daily driver, but I wouldn't have them on my Camaro.