Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Those with 1/2 rear wheel studs also do the front?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011 | 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Default Those with 1/2 rear wheel studs also do the front?

Is anybody with an aftermarket rear end with 1/2 wheel studs also running 1/2 front wheel studs? Would it be as simple as pressing out the stock studs, then drilling and taping the front hub to accept 1/2 screw in studs? I'm just thinking about it to keep all the lug nuts uniform, if for example, I go get new tires put on and I forget to tell them about the 2 different size studs and they try to put the front 12mm studs on the rear 1/2 studs or something really stupid like that.
Old 06-20-2011 | 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

I would take my chances with 2 different sizes. Your new rears should be marked 1/2" on lugs. But i see your point. I would just figure out a way to mark the fronts so that its obvious they go there. Putting 1/2" up front just seems way overkill to me and waste of money. But again see your point with boneheads.
Old 06-20-2011 | 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

I thought about doing it, but figured I'd be the only one taking the tires/rims on and off. My solution is never take your car to a tire shop. I have street rims (factory rims) and my Weld R/Ts. Whatever tires need replaced/repaired I will take in the back of my pickup over to the tire shop. No need for my Bird to be there IMO.
Old 06-20-2011 | 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
I thought about doing it, but figured I'd be the only one taking the tires/rims on and off. My solution is never take your car to a tire shop. I have street rims (factory rims) and my Weld R/Ts. Whatever tires need replaced/repaired I will take in the back of my pickup over to the tire shop. No need for my Bird to be there IMO.
I've always just taken the the tires/rims to the tire shop in the back of my truck too, I guess I'm just over thinking it.
My other problem was finding matching 1/2 and 12mm lug nuts with locks, I'd really like chrome mcgard's since they have a lifetime warranty against chipping, rusting, ect. But then I'm stuck buying a pack of four 1/2 locks, and a pack of 4 12mm locks, only to use 2 of each, and having to keep 2 lock keys in the car, one for the front, and one for the rear.
My rear 1/2 lug nuts are brand new, but they were freebies with my new rims I got to match the narrowed rear end, so they are probably pretty cheap, and the fronts are 3 year old cheapo's and have already started chipping/rusting.
Old 06-20-2011 | 11:59 PM
10 Second Club

I'm running ARP 12mmx1.50-3.25" (ARP 100-7713) in front and ARP 1/2"-20-3.470" (ARP 100-7704) in the rear with no problems. My lugs for my street and drag wheels are both marked so I never get them confused.

Quick Reply: Those with 1/2 rear wheel studs also do the front?