Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Repairing sidewall on QTP bias-ply slick?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing sidewall on QTP bias-ply slick?

Wondering if it is possible. I have a slight slice from the tire rubbing on the inside of the fenderwell and hitting something sharp, lifting up about an inch of rubber with only about 1/4" actually showing thread and leaking. Is it possible to repair it? This is the second time this has happened, and will ultimately fix the root of the problem...again. Just don't want to have to spend $250 *again* on another tire.

I've read things about vulcanization (not sure if it applys to bias-ply QTP's, or just DR's/radials), something about sewing it back together with some synthetic stuff like floss. What about a patch on the inside? What will work if anything?

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO repairing the sidewall of a bias ply tire would be too much risk. There is too much flex in the sidewall for a repair like this to be safe. I know it sucks but you will be better off and safer to buy a new tire and fix your root cause.

If you do attempt something like that make sure you put a tube in it so you don't end up on the gaurd rail at the track.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The last time I talked to a tire shop, they wouldn't even think about touching anything related to a hole in the sidewall. Maybe they were being overly cautious, but it seemed that they couldn't spit the word "no" out fast enough, and that tells me that it is either A: nearly impossible to do correctly, and/or B: a huge safety concern.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured as much. This sucks. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Repairing sidewall on QTP bias-ply slick?