Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Bought some OEM Firehawk wheels, but need chrome repair. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bought some OEM Firehawk wheels, but need chrome repair. Help please.

So I found OEM's on craigslist, but the chrome is pretty much shot on them. So what are my options?

I'm sure they're aluminum..? Can I have them stripped down to bare aluminum? Then Polish?

Or have them re-chromed? Any input will be appreciated, I am in no hurry because I'll keep the TT II's on for a while, plus the car is put away for winter.

Pic:

Last edited by Kyles03; 12-14-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are like the ws6 rims you can strip them and polish them out. The T/A wheels are chromed, but I think the firehawk and ws6 rims are aluminum.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Junkie

My Firehawk's wheels were peeling and pitted and it didn't look to hot underneath the flaking chrome. They aren't like the polished wheels where the metal is nice and pretty.

Your best bet is to rechrome.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I wasn't sure if the firehawks got polished rims like the ws6's. From what you're saying they sound like they are chromed like the T/A.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

^ what he said have them rechromed. If my wheels ever start to peel i will have them done in the black chrome would look sick.

by the way my firehawk is #1079 very close to your build #
Old 12-14-2011, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies! I will look into having them re-chromed. Anybody know the average price of re-chroming wheels?

Also, I'm due for tires soon. So what is the widest tire I can put on these OEM's for the rear? I was thinking about Mickey Thompsons next, but open to suggestions.

Originally Posted by naperws6
^ what he said have them rechromed. If my wheels ever start to peel i will have them done in the black chrome would look sick.

by the way my firehawk is #1079 very close to your build #
Yes thats pretty close! I've thought about the black chrome, but I would rather have it look stock. Maybe I'll do black chrome to the TT II's.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:29 AM
Captain Double Post

wanna sell the tt2s?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

i called discount tire and they said they would charge me 200 a wheel to get my speedline wheels dipped in chrome
Old 12-15-2011, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
wanna sell the tt2s?
I am actually going to keep them for a while. Until I get these ones re-chromed.

Originally Posted by LT4hotcam
i called discount tire and they said they would charge me 200 a wheel to get my speedline wheels dipped in chrome
Hmmm that not too bad of a price I guess. I will have to start calling places and get quotes. I've never had to deal with the chromers.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a set done at Discount tire..... All they did was rechrome the rims, they did not repair the pitting that was going on underneath the Chrome, So when the Wheels came back, they still looked like ****. Make sure they repair the pitting undrerneath the Chrome.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Launching!

how much did you pay for them if you dont mind
i have 2 good ones that are chrome and 2 that are bent and chrome is peeling
Old 12-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Trunion King

Make sure the wheels get done right... they're supposed to strip the chrome by reverse electro plating and then dip them for chrome.

I'm getting my chrome wheels strip the chrome and powdercoat them gunmetal grey.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cheetoh
I had a set done at Discount tire..... All they did was rechrome the rims, they did not repair the pitting that was going on underneath the Chrome, So when the Wheels came back, they still looked like ****. Make sure they repair the pitting undrerneath the Chrome.
Yeah thats unacceptable. I'm definately willing to pay to have them done right.

Originally Posted by ramairracer
how much did you pay for them if you dont mind
i have 2 good ones that are chrome and 2 that are bent and chrome is peeling
I paid $260 for them. There are no dents, cracks, or signs of welding done on them. Just the finish is a little rough. Chrome is peeling only in the corners where the spokes meet the lip, and behind the wheels. I could run them as is, but I'd rather have them look great up close.

Originally Posted by bene
Make sure the wheels get done right... they're supposed to strip the chrome by reverse electro plating and then dip them for chrome.

I'm getting my chrome wheels strip the chrome and powdercoat them gunmetal grey.
Thanks, I will make sure they're done right. Like I said above, I'm willing to spend the right kind of money for them to be done right.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Ive talked to wheel repair guys and they said you cannot strip the chrome and polish, must be rechromed. They also said the only way to get them rechromed good was to ship them to the west coast somewhere.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could always strip and powder coat.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Thumbs up

Nice to see a Firehawk owner got them! I talked to him when I saw the ad, seemed like a good guy and was very up front about the peeling on them. Get them on for next summer, we will have to have a little Firehawk gathering and get pics with 3 black Hawks!

The car almost looks NBM where the light is hitting it in that picture...
Old 12-20-2011, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Ive talked to wheel repair guys and they said you cannot strip the chrome and polish, must be rechromed. They also said the only way to get them rechromed good was to ship them to the west coast somewhere.
Thats too bad they can't be stripped and polished. I would much rather go that route instead lol. But no can do.

Originally Posted by ACDenali
Could always strip and powder coat.
I was thinking about doing powder coat also. I'll just have to weigh the options once that time comes.

Originally Posted by z-camaro
Nice to see a Firehawk owner got them! I talked to him when I saw the ad, seemed like a good guy and was very up front about the peeling on them. Get them on for next summer, we will have to have a little Firehawk gathering and get pics with 3 black Hawks!

The car almost looks NBM where the light is hitting it in that picture...
Were you interested in buying them? And yeah he was a real nice guy, I wasn't surprised by the condition of them at all when I arrived. He described how they looked to me on the phone. In his garage he had 2 T/A's, an older Vette and another car lol.

Not sure I'll have them on for the summer, but I'm sure willing to meet up and take some pics!

Quick Reply: Bought some OEM Firehawk wheels, but need chrome repair. Help please.