Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Nitto NT 05

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovechevy1

Nitto NT05R's..I got those som bitches shipped to my house (Summit sent me the wrong size thank God) They where sooo soft you can scratch chunks of rubber out of it with your fingernails!!. I took my car key and proceeded to slightley stab it into the tire just to see how soft they where. The key was effortlessly pushed nearly 1/3rd of the way into the tread. I estimated with my car being my daily driver, I would maybe get 6 months out of them being 100% easy on them..just an estimate but I'm pretty sure. I sent them back the very next day and got the 555R's and I'm very happy with my decesion seeing as how they still get good traction and will last a long time.[/LIST]
The NT-05 IS WHAT WE R TALKING ABOUT. NOT THE NT-05R.(R is for drag)
Old 12-16-2011, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-315-35...item53ea70f614

The ones i bought are R's, so drag radials for sure.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

only thing I dont like about the 05s is they are small, the 315 is smaller in diamiter than the 275 so on my car i think they would look funny, im sticking with 555 for daily driving and MT drags for the strip. I would prefer to have a sticky tire for the 500+ hp I have but dont want a smaller diamiter tire in the rear than the front
Old 12-16-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats true they are as far as width not that wide for 315's. That was actually my main goal since my sumitumos where scraping the inside fender i needed something a little less in width to give me the clearance. If these didnt work i would've just rolled the inside fender and called it a day.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The NT-05 heated at the track is pretty sticky when you launch, this really is an incredible all around tire.

My 275's have 5 trackday HPDE days on them with probably 1000 street miles and 15 dragstrip passes and they are not on the wear bars yet, keep in mind this car is almost 4000lbs with an instructor in the car and a full load of fuel and has 375 to the wheels.

Next event I will "flip" them on the wheels and put them on the opposite side of the car to finish them off, for $150 a tire they are incredible.

I also found these tires like lower pressure during trackdays, my sweet spot seems to be 31 front 26 rear at the start of the session but I will play with them some more. At this pressure they hardly gain any pressure during the session, maybe 5lbs. When I start out around 35 front 31 rear they gain a LOT of pressure, one time over 14 lbs! I guess they were sliding around adding heat?

At the next event I will tinker some more and then put nitrogen in the tires.

Anyone else run nitrogen? If so how do you like it?
Old 12-16-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
only thing I dont like about the 05s is they are small, the 315 is smaller in diamiter than the 275 so on my car i think they would look funny, im sticking with 555 for daily driving and MT drags for the strip. I would prefer to have a sticky tire for the 500+ hp I have but dont want a smaller diamiter tire in the rear than the front
275/40/17 = 25.66
315/35/17 = 25.68

Unless you are running 18's or something.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KEVS98LS1
Im happy with your decision.But testing them with your keys and finger nails, guessing 6 months for a daily driver.COME ON NOW.HOW BOUT SOME REAL TESTING!

Hey... look you burn thru them in 1 year, so. Buy another set of rears. We spend thousands on our engines and suspensions,whats another 200$ per tire

YOU WANT TO PLAY YOU GOT TO PAY!
lol, yes ..of course we have to play to pay..no need to tell me that. Like I have said, I've spent thousands on drag radials already and thousands on my car. Hell, I have a 6,000 dollar procharger kit on my car. I'm not trying to be a dick either man, but testing them with my hands by rubbing my hand across them and feeling the rubber roll off of it in little larger than sand sized peices was enough to tell me those tires wont' last very long on a daily driver. Anyone with any common sense knows that...I'm sure you know this too and are maybe just trying to stick up for the NT05R's. They are awesome tires I'm sure. I honestly need them on my car because a Procharger+LS1+cam+water/meth+built tranny with stall+12 bolt 3.90 gears= insane wheel spin on normal street tires ( I spun one time going 80 down the interstate with 313/35 street tire).those tires would assure you have little wheelspin compared to other drag radials out there.Me personally tho I'd rather have the 315/35 555R's since they are kinda wide then they will still hold pretty good for me while not getting eaten up like crazy in less than 9 month. BTW I'm in the Army, and they do this thing called "vehicle inspections" on all of our cars. They check EVERYTHING on our cars from the tires and fluid, lights, and windows for cracks. They are very particualr about the tires and bitch if there is less than 4 cenemeters of tread on them. I maybe go through tires a tad more than most ppl.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
The NT-05 heated at the track is pretty sticky when you launch, this really is an incredible all around tire.

My 275's have 5 trackday HPDE days on them with probably 1000 street miles and 15 dragstrip passes and they are not on the wear bars yet, keep in mind this car is almost 4000lbs with an instructor in the car and a full load of fuel and has 375 to the wheels.

Next event I will "flip" them on the wheels and put them on the opposite side of the car to finish them off, for $150 a tire they are incredible.

I also found these tires like lower pressure during trackdays, my sweet spot seems to be 31 front 26 rear at the start of the session but I will play with them some more. At this pressure they hardly gain any pressure during the session, maybe 5lbs. When I start out around 35 front 31 rear they gain a LOT of pressure, one time over 14 lbs! I guess they were sliding around adding heat?

At the next event I will tinker some more and then put nitrogen in the tires.

Anyone else run nitrogen? If so how do you like it?
Well said.These tires like a lower psi.I run 31/28.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Banned

WHY would you try to tell me this man??...I CLEARLY put an R on the end of ALL my Nitto tire specs. Not to mention the OP was CLEARLY talking about NT05R's...soooo..I guess maybe you where the only one who was'nt talking the drag radials, while all the rest of us where.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Banned

To further help clear this up. The OP did'nt specify in his first post that he was actually using the Drag radials versions of the NT05's (the NT05Rs). He said NT05's, BUUUUT he also said he had very lil wheel spin in first gear, none in 2nd...so on and so on. So I naturally assumed (seeing as how it shows in his sig he has alot of boltons +nitrous) that he was using the NT05R's. There I go using my COMMON SENSE again lol
Old 12-16-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do take responsibility and should've put in the title R's. I assumed people reading the sig would know they would be R's but then again not many people read every bolt on you have in the sig, i know i dont sometimes. So sorry guys if it created any problems.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by karpetcm
I do take responsibility and should've put in the title R's. I assumed people reading the sig would know they would be R's but then again not many people read every bolt on you have in the sig, i know i dont sometimes. So sorry guys if it created any problems.
Your good man, it's just some ppl you know. It takes the obvious to jump up and slap them in the face to make them get something that is in plain sight...good luck with the tires, I hope they last you longer than my 6 monnth predictions I had for my car. I drive my car hard everyday tho.To work, to lunch, to pick up the kids, to buy groceries in it ( My wife drives our 2005 GMC seirra ect cab 4x4 lol)..the tires would'nt have lasted me long at all.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Launching!

The thread here said say nt-05.Well at least that clears up the mileage issue between the 05 and 05r

Last edited by KEVS98LS1; 12-16-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't assume LOVECHEVY.Yes the sig did say nt-05 and we all talking about the nt-05. Lovechevy you are the only one here talking about the nt05R.
Dont mean to start anything my sig always said NT 05 R Drag Radials, its been up since a couple of days ago. Thats what i was sayin in my last post that people dont read the full description in the sig. If you want to comfirm more then welcome to ask a mod when and if i revised it im sure theyll have that info. I think you meant the TITLE of the thread or post, which is my fault for not being specific.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Dont mean to start anything my sig always said NT 05 R Drag Radials, its been up since a couple of days ago. Thats what i was sayin in my last post that people dont read the full description in the sig. If you want to comfirm more then welcome to ask a mod when and if i revised it im sure theyll have that info. I think you meant the TITLE of the thread or post, which is my fault for not being specific.
THE THREAD SAID NT-05
Old 12-16-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ilovechevy1
Your good man, it's just some ppl you know. It takes the obvious to jump up and slap them in the face to make them get something that is in plain sight...good luck with the tires, I hope they last you longer than my 6 monnth predictions I had for my car. I drive my car hard everyday tho.To work, to lunch, to pick up the kids, to buy groceries in it ( My wife drives our 2005 GMC seirra ect cab 4x4 lol)..the tires would'nt have lasted me long at all.
Its cool, i figured people would've read the sig but on the other hand i messed up and wasnt specific either. I hope they do go more then 6 months as well ill be happy if it lasts a year but i guess it has alot to do with how you drive it. I dont drag race or go to the track at all but who knows its my first time with these tires.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Its cool, i figured people would've read the sig but on the other hand i messed up and wasnt specific either. I hope they do go more then 6 months as well ill be happy if it lasts a year but i guess it has alot to do with how you drive it. I dont drag race or go to the track at all but who knows its my first time with these tires.
NP.Not everybody has a sig.I think a year for you on those tires would be great.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

NP.Not everybody has a sig.I think a year for you on those tires would be great.
yeah I have to agree with you there. I think if he keeps wheel spin (playing around) to a minimum, and only does nitrous roll racing ( I think he mentioned that earlier) then he can coax a year out of them. I just know that for me 6 months would be lucky. I drive my car like a mad man, and not in the crazy teenager who spins wheels all over town kinda way, but drive it like a mad man daily driver..I take this car EVERYWHERE lol. It almost saddens me that I'm putting so many miles on this thing. I got it less than 2 years ago with 46k miles, and now it has 63k.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I am curious do the NT05Rs feel loose or squirm. My MT DRs move around a lot, even if I bump the tire pressure. The 555Rs I used to have were almost as stable feeling as a road race tire, just a little softer.

I was considering going to new 18 rims this year was considering a NT05 front tire with the NT05R rear, but hate the feel of the MT DRs in normal day to day driving.

I prefer R tires as I do have traction issues on the street.

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
I am curious do the NT05Rs feel loose or squirm. My MT DRs move around a lot, even if I bump the tire pressure. The 555Rs I used to have were almost as stable feeling as a road race tire, just a little softer.

I was considering going to new 18 rims this year was considering a NT05 front tire with the NT05R rear, but hate the feel of the MT DRs in normal day to day driving.

I prefer R tires as I do have traction issues on the street.

Thanks for your input.

It might be weird for me to say it but the only time i know i have drag radials on is when i go wot(because it hooks) or look at it from outside as im walking up to the car. It drives excellent and dont even notice i have them meaning there any different then the other tires i had other then the fact i have way more traction. Thats the best i can describe it.

I just left work for a few minutes and gave a friend a ride in it to really test out the tires because i havent done that and as cold as it is outside i had really good traction in 1st and no chirp or slip going in 2nd and pulled hard. I even tried nitrous in 2nd to see if it will break loose and it didnt. So this will be probably the only time i will abuse them like this but wanted to know how effective they were and my friend and i were shocked, but then again there drag radials and there doing what there suppose to.

Quick Reply: Nitto NT 05