Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Open or closed lug nuts on weld Rt-s? and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Open or closed lug nuts on weld Rt-s? and why?

Having trouble on which to pick.. I know open lets you be able to run a longer wheel stud. Closed keeps the rain and snow out but is there really that much of a difference? If you have Weld- RT-S, what are you running and what reason. Thanks for your time

Ray
Old 12-27-2011, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the NHRA rule book.

"Lug nuts are another area of concern, especially with aftermarket wheels. NHRA recommends all cars be equipped with open-ended lug nuts to allow the inspector to verify the length of thread engagement.
Obviously, all lug nuts and studs must be in place. For slower cars, this isn't a critical point, especially when using O.E.M. wheels. But with faster cars and aftermarket wheels, the concern is that the lug nut engage the threads of the stud for a distance at least equal to the diameter of the stud. Inquire at your local track as to what the tech inspector will accept."

My local track has never checked my car for this.. I run closed lugs.. But, like stated, it will depend on your inspector and how fast your car runs.. Hope this helps..
Old 12-27-2011, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always run open-end. Always the option to use longer studs, plus I like having an idea of how far my studs are engaging to the threads.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro396
I always run open-end. Always the option to use longer studs, plus I like having an idea of how far my studs are engaging to the threads.
I'll be switching to open, also, once I put my new rear end in..
Old 12-27-2011, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

i run open with mine...i need to get some nice caps for the ends, i have seen them on some drag setups
Old 12-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you all know of a way to not run open lugs?? I need studs that are about 50mm..Can't seem to find the knurl diameter in a length close to 50mm.. any Ideas? run a 60mm and open lug? or a spacer with lugs thats no more then 10mm?

Im shooting for anything..bc I have 19x10's and rub without a spacer(5mm) and on stock studs theres not enough thread.

Sorry don't mean to take over, but you all seem to know and I didn't want to start a new thread and the search took me here!

Quick Reply: Open or closed lug nuts on weld Rt-s? and why?