Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Possible to re-clearcoat stock WS6 chrome wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Possible to re-clearcoat stock WS6 chrome wheels?

I have the stock 2000 WS6 chrome 5 spoke wheels. The clearcoat is peeling away in some spots, but the chrome underneath is still in perfect condition. Is it possible for me take the clearcoat off with something like aircraft stripper and then have a body shop re-clearcoat them?

I really like these wheels and other than the clearcoat they are in mint condition, no curb rash or anything.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are polished under the clear coat not chrome. I have in the past stripped the clear off polished wheels and left them alone, you just have to polish them to keep them shiny. I would imagine you could have a clear powdercoat put on them.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by black_sheep454
They are polished under the clear coat not chrome. I have in the past stripped the clear off polished wheels and left them alone, you just have to polish them to keep them shiny. I would imagine you could have a clear powdercoat put on them.
I did that with polished wheels on a previous car. I didn't realize these were polished. That's excellent. I definitely want to re-clear them though as keeping the wheels shiny without it is a constant job even with wheel wax.

Last edited by RebelExtrm02; 02-24-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id say your best bet is ti have them clear powdercoated, its may dull the shine a lil bit so make sure you polish them up real nice. before you take them.