Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheel/Tire suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 04:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel/Tire suggestions?

I have a 98 WS6 with stock wheels. Unfortunately two of them just got some curb rash, expensive to repair at least.

My GSD3's are going to be replaced before long and with the gap in the rear fender in particular with the stock size wheels I was thinking of going with different wheel sizes front and back. Though I don't have loads to spend due to recent engine mods I would like to get this with maximum traction and set up for road racing vs drag racing since it is my daily driver and I am far more likely to use it that way. The front wheels and tires as they are don't seem to have much room to increase in size but the rears do. I have looked at one of the sponsors OEM replica ads. Suggestions on a budget but nice minded wheel set. Something like a Vette ZR1 set might look nice. Not sure about the tires, they are expensive no matter what way I got but will need to be replaced before too long and I want to spend the money right once.

I really plan to do some mods to improve handling too. Though as far as lowering just plan to go with the Bilstien Eibach set that only lowers the car 1/2 inch so fitment should not be radically different than stock. I just want to be glued to the road in corners and of course go fast in a straight line when the occasion strikes me but dragging this car is secondary to handling on a track or a makeshift track on the road. I get pretty good grip now but want to improve both that and the appearance. Maybe keep the stock WS6 wheels and have them fixed when I can afford to do so but since I have started the mods on this car I want it to perform as well as possible. Right now I am only looking at a cam and dyno tune happening in the next few days along with some stronger parts. Future plans involve a Procharger/trans/rear change...likely 3.73's.

Just that the tires are worn and if I am going to replace them buying what I will like best makes sense to do at the same time. Those GSD3's are not cheap but we have a lot of rain in the Seattle area so the unidirectional pattern I think helped hydroplaning. I like to drive hard and take corners fast even just daily driving which this car is my DD. My car is black so the black wheels would likely look fine.

Suggestions?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go here...https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...mega-load.html I hope this will help
Old 07-03-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is what I run... probably the most common wheel for these cars:

Torque Thrust II's. 17x9.5 front 17x11 rears. The tires are GSD3's up front 275/40/17 and rears are Nitto 555R Drag Radials 315/35/17. I daily my DR's and I love it. The 2 problems with running them though is that 1, they dont last long (10-15k max), and 2, the last few thousand miles these tires are a death trap in the rain. Believe it or not these things do awesome the first 50% of their life in the rain though!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Even though I don't like TT2's, your car is one of the nicer ones with this combo.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 777
Even though I don't like TT2's, your car is one of the nicer ones with this combo.
thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Torq thurst's are very common and i have them as well but its all up to personal preference. if you like it go with it
stock ride height

lowered
Old 07-03-2012, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by udienow
Here is what I run... probably the most common wheel for these cars:

Torque Thrust II's. 17x9.5 front 17x11 rears. The tires are GSD3's up front 275/40/17 and rears are Nitto 555R Drag Radials 315/35/17. I daily my DR's and I love it. The 2 problems with running them though is that 1, they dont last long (10-15k max), and 2, the last few thousand miles these tires are a death trap in the rain. Believe it or not these things do awesome the first 50% of their life in the rain though!
^^^ Man, I saw your Trans Am and it made me stop scrolling; your car's beauty took my breath away. I just wanted to tell you how much I like your car's wheels and exhaust tips. In my opinion, they look absolutely perfect on your black WS.6!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

[/IMG]
Weld Evo BC-10's
18x10.5 315/30/18
18x9 245/40/18
Dont see these much on ls1tech

Last edited by TBSOELS1; 07-05-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

the TT2's are hard to beat!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 777
even though i don't like tt2's, your car is one of the nicer ones with this combo.
x2......
Old 07-06-2012, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the suggestions and photos. I am going to pick my car up this Monday with the new cam and parts installed and get to the dyno tuner. This is my next thing to save up for since the GSD3's were great but wearing out and will be fine for the summer but in the Seattle area we get a lot of rain and with the wide tires they have to be good in the rain while I would also like to get the hook up of the drag radials I don't know how well that would work. Gives me some things to look in to though and price. At least I will get to take some video roasting my old GSD3's' when it is time to make the change. Tires are a must and the wheels are looking like a good idea too. Those TT2's have a similar look to the stock WS6s I think. I also think the exhaust looks good on the car. My car has 40K miles on it right now and just getting the motor done will make me happy for a bit but when I get some money again this is the next step. Then more serious mods. Never can have too many suggestions and photos are great to see what they would actually look like on my car.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Default Height

[QUOTE=LILWS6;16481394]Torq thurst's are very common and i have them as well but its all up to personal preference. if you like it go with it
stock ride height

Mine is stock right now though I plan to install the Bilstein gas shock and Eibach spring combo made for the car which only lowers it 1/2 inch which is not much at all. Should look almost the same on my car as a stock one. Would like to fill that gap in the rear fender well that is present with my stock wheels.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

right now the tires are 335/30r17's in the back there about the same size height wise as the 315 setup i had just wider. they fill up nicely with the strano springs drop got some better pics of the rear wheel well.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

That looks good. Wide but correct offset so they don't extend outside the fender wells which is what I am looking for. Tires are going to be a compromise since I can only afford one set of tires and with the rain up here and this being my daily driver I have to consider how well they perform in the rain. The GSD3's have done pretty well with the uni directional tread. They are expensive though. They are just getting worn so that they will be fine for the dry in the summer, have not quite reached the wear blocks yet. But they will need to have good tread when it gets to the rainy season again, especially as wide as they are.

I have been looking around at various wheels and think that it is likely that I will go with 17's and 9.5's in the front and wider wheels and tires in the rear. I don't see a lot of room to stuff any larger tires in the front than it has. Just taller and wider in the rear.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TomXTC
That looks good. Wide but correct offset so they don't extend outside the fender wells which is what I am looking for. Tires are going to be a compromise since I can only afford one set of tires and with the rain up here and this being my daily driver I have to consider how well they perform in the rain. The GSD3's have done pretty well with the uni directional tread. They are expensive though. They are just getting worn so that they will be fine for the dry in the summer, have not quite reached the wear blocks yet. But they will need to have good tread when it gets to the rainy season again, especially as wide as they are.

I have been looking around at various wheels and think that it is likely that I will go with 17's and 9.5's in the front and wider wheels and tires in the rear. I don't see a lot of room to stuff any larger tires in the front than it has. Just taller and wider in the rear.
You realize the GS-D3's are discontinued, right? Ran them for years on my car and loved them. Just got the Nitto nt05's. Dry traction and tracking is much better surprisingly than the D-3's. Not sure about the rain yet, only drove them once and they did alright but I wasn't going highway speeds.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Default Discontinued GSD3

Originally Posted by Dal1as
You realize the GS-D3's are discontinued, right? Ran them for years on my car and loved them. Just got the Nitto nt05's. Dry traction and tracking is much better surprisingly than the D-3's. Not sure about the rain yet, only drove them once and they did alright but I wasn't going highway speeds.
Yup, so I have been told. Though to this day they are still for sale. But not planning on using them as replacements I have little complaints due to the very good wet driving they gave me. That is so important for the area I live. But I will find something that is a good alternative, it is just difficult to find both big high end tires that are not pricey. Usually I go for what I think is the best regardless of price but will have to consider budget this time unless something changes after the huge money I have just spent on my motor and other bills.

I can see dry traction and tracking being improved but that would not be worth much to me if they don't also do exceptionally well in the rain.

I can't afford two sets of tires so I will have to find something that does well in dry and wet and if they wear for a couple years at least that would be nice. I have only been putting about 6K a year on this car but would like to have them last a while so I can put money towards other things. I hate to compromise especially on things like tires but I may get in to that position.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

In case it helps, here are the rims I'm considering:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...otos-poll.html

Quick Reply: Wheel/Tire suggestions?