Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Opinions on Kumho tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Kumho tires?

So I'm finally getting around to buying new wheels and tires for my car. I'm looking at getting a set of aftermarket chrome C6 Z06 wheels from OEWheels here:

http://oewheelsllc.com/C6-Z06_3

I love the style and can't wait to get them in, but I'm a tire noob and want to ask you guys what you think about Kumho tires? I currently have Kumho Ecsta ASX tires (275/40R17). I rather like the way the perform and they have minimal road noise (this is my daily driver). I was checking out the Kumho Ecsta 4X tires from Discount Tire for a few more bucks and curious what the difference would be. I also checked them out on TireRack and found that they say the Kumhos I'm looking at will only fit a 17x9.5" with a 48-49mm offset, so I'm guessing they won't fit on the rims I'm planning to buy? I want to keep all 4 wheels the same size for ease of rotating tires to get more life out of them, so not looking for an offset set of wheels and I'd like to get all 4 tires matching as well if possible.

Also, for right around ~$150/tire, is there a "better" option/brand I should look into? I'm not looking for racing tires at this time, as I need something that will hold up year-round daily driving in Texas heat and storms.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:03 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Go with the 4X which is a newer/better model over the ASX. The ASX is being discontinued.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Sounds good. Will the 4Xs still fit on the 17x9.5 rims with a 54mm offset?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the 4X for a winter tire, it will fit. Solid choice. From what I know the offset will not affect fitment at all, unless you are talking about the tire being too large for the rim and bulging...therefore rubbing the inside of the fender well.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Furious1
I use the 4X for a winter tire, it will fit. Solid choice. From what I know the offset will not affect fitment at all, unless you are talking about the tire being too large for the rim and bulging...therefore rubbing the inside of the fender well.
This is what I'm slightly worried about, but I think it should be fine (I hope haha). I think I'm confident enough in the choice to pull the trigger. Going to call Discount Tire tomorrow and see how low I can get them to go on the tires and then purchase the wheels
Old 08-09-2012, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

a 275/40/17 will fit no problem with that offset.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

Kunmho's are a decent product. Truth is all tires are pretty darn good these days.

They might not ride as good as Michelins, or turn in as sharp as Goodyears or BFG's, but they are a third / half of the price.

Cost per mile is not a bad value proposition.

Cowpunk

Quick Reply: Opinions on Kumho tires?