Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Nitto 555 Extreme Zr's

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004 | 09:38 AM
Launching!

Question Nitto 555 Extreme Zr's

Just bought these tires yesterday, and I'm very happy with them. They hook alot better than the Original Firestone Firehawks I had on it before. Anyways I know your supposed to let a little tire pressure out of the Nitto DR's because if you dont the center of the tire will wear alot faster than the edges.. So does the same thing go with Nittos 555's? I was thinking of dropping the pressure down to about 22-24 psi, and driving aroundwith them like that.. thats for the help.

Brandon
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Somebody that knows for sure will hopefully chime in, but I don't believe you want to run the 555 Extreme's at lower tire pressures. Unlike the DRs, these are a true street tire with stiff sidewalls for cornering and handling. The DRs were better run on lower pressures because they have a much softer, more flexible sidewall than most ZR rated street tires. As such, they have a greater tendency to round off the tread area at higher pressures than non-drag oriented tires.
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:47 AM
Launching!

Ohh i see.. I would rather be safe than sorry. Just wanna get as many miles out of these suckers as i can. Its hard being 20 living on your own, then coming up with 900 bucks for a new set of tires. Thansk for the info
Old 04-08-2004 | 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Been there, done that, know exactly what you mean.
Old 04-08-2004 | 11:22 AM
TECH Veteran

you let the air out of drag radials because they have a softer sidewall and this help the tire flex and provides for a better launch..

A regular sidewall benefits VERY little if any from this and the increased friction on the top end probley hurts you.. the sidewalls are just too stiff to benefit from slighly lower air pressure..
Old 04-08-2004 | 11:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
you let the air out of drag radials because they have a softer sidewall and this help the tire flex and provides for a better launch..

A regular sidewall benefits VERY little if any from this and the increased friction on the top end probley hurts you.. the sidewalls are just too stiff to benefit from slighly lower air pressure..
Ohh i know what that letting the air pressure out of a DR helps you launch, thats common sense. BUT i was just talking about regular street driving, and how it effects the tred life, with a full 40 PSI tire vs a 25-30 PSI tire. I also know that the DR's wear out quicker in the middle due to the stiffened sidewalls.. just didnt know if the regular street nittos were the same way.