Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

You guys running 315/60R15's

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 01:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default You guys running 315/60R15's

I know this has been posted quite a bit before, but I can't find the exact answer I'm looking for.

I currently have 315/60R15's mounted on a set of 15x10 wheels. My car is mini tubed. When bolted on I am not having inside clearance issues, I am having issues with the tire hitting either the quarter panel or the bumper depending on which way I adjust it. There isn't enough room to just center the tire without it hitting one or the other. Currently my wheel combo is 4.5" back spacing with a 3" narrower per side axle. So in theory the wheels are sitting in the stock location but 10"s wide. Wolfe says you need to run a 12" wide wheel to make these tires fit. Is going from a 10" wide wheel to a 12" wide wheel going to take so much height out of these tires that they are no longer going to hit? I am considering going to a 11" wide wheel and bringing the wheel towards the center of the car another inch, so 15x11 with a 6.5" backspacing. That would tuck the tire, a little more to get it further away from the bumper/quarter, and would be an inch wider to help take a little height out of it. I just don't see going 2 inches wider on the wheel bringing enough height out of it to cause the clearance issues to go away.

If you are running this tire setup on your f-body, post up what you've had to modify, what your wheel size is, and what your back spacing is, PLEASE! Thanks for your time, and sorry about the long read! -Dan

Last edited by ALTRDTA; 11-16-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wheel width will not alter the heght in any way... you will still have clearance issues. A wider tire just pushes out the sidewalls. With a bias tire, a wider wheel will limit tire growth, but radials, do not tend to grow much at speed.

With a tire that large the tread will still likely be in the front rocker & rear bumper area, unless you pull the tires way inboard with different suspension etc.

Most cars I have seen cut both the front rocker panel & the rear bumper cover to be safe. I used to have pictures of the cuts made, but can no longer locate them.

Here is an old picture from Bradys car showing his mods for 315's.
I believe he only cut the rear cover in this picture & rolled the lips with a minitub.

Quick Reply: You guys running 315/60R15's